AF: Traded in my Charger... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traded in my Charger...

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by Ryan, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

...for a 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. It's been raining almost constantly here, so I haven't taken a better picture yet. It looks black, but it's actually Sangria. Has the Luxury II package and Advanced Active Safety Group. My first project will be buffing out the swirl marks from the paint if the weather ever clears up. After that, I want 20" wheels and I think the chrome grille inserts from the Overland would look nice. Finally, I'll have it ceramic coated (or do it myself again).

Jeep.jpg

I wasn't really considering a Grand Cherokee, but this had all the features I wanted and I enjoy driving the GC. I'm going to miss my Charger because it was a great car, but I really wanted something with more cargo space, ground clearance, and 4WD or AWD. I also love the panoramic sunroof.

I also test drove a new Blazer and a Stelvio with under 2,000 miles on it. The Blazer wasn't bad, but I couldn't get the seating position quite right for me and the Stelvio is very fun to drive, but didn't have navigation, blind-spot monitor, CarPlay, ventilated seats... basically everything I wanted was missing. And then there was the issue of the nearest Alfa dealer being around 4 hours away.

I'm looking forward to owning this Jeep and making it my own. I guess I'm part of the Jeep club now.

aldo90731, JA Cumbo, Zagnut27 and 9 others like this.
  2. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Nice
    Which engine?

3. Ryan

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The 3.6 moves the Grand Cherokee pretty well.

DC-93, page2171 and Ryan like this.
  5. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Congrats.. Enjoy!!!

Ryan likes this.
  6. Ryan

It really does. As I've mentioned before, it feels faster than it did my Charger...I know it's not actually, but still. The engine sounds different and I enjoy having sport mode again. Stop start is pretty much transparent as well--haven't bothered to turn that off.
    Thanks! I love it so far. No complaints at all.

danbek, DC-93 and page2171 like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

That is a handsome vehicle, Congrats, and welcome to the Jeep club!! I'm a little jealous right now...:p

Ryan likes this.
  8. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I've had Grand Cherokees for 22 years, first the '98 which we bought new and the '07 which I bought when it was 2 years old in the throes of the last recession for a little over half the sticker price...they are good all around vehicles, that do most everything well and are very comfortable for long trips, excellent in winter driving conditions, can tow well for their size etc. If I get another it will have to be a Limited + 5.7 Hemi. This package while not muscle car fast, has power everywhere and tows our 20' boat like its not there. We have taken both out on the beaches of the south shore of Long Island extensively.....last pic is my son driving the '98 ZJ Grand with me following in the '07 WK Grand...
    Sore Thumb beach 4-17.jpg 2.jpg Sore Thumb beach 4-17.jpg ZJ and WK at Democrat Pt .JPG

page2171 and Ryan like this.
  9. Ryan

FE083966-A3BC-409D-9D5A-8A88BD0862FA.jpeg

Got it buffed for the most part. Used IronX followed by a clay bar to decontaminate the paint prior to compounding and polishing. The bulk of the scratches and swirls are removed, just need to do a few spots again. Had to order a mini random orbital polisher from Griot’s Garage because the large one is hard to maneuver in some spots, so I’m waiting for that to arrive to finish up. Once I’m completely done with that, I’m going to apply a ceramic coating.

Non-detailing related modifications I’m planning are the replacement of the metal front door scuff plate inserts along with the cargo area scuff plate. Will probably order those tomorrow. I’ve also decided on satin carbon 20x10 SRT “Spider Monkey” replica wheels. I think the extra 2” width will give it a better stance like that of the SRT and Trackhawk. I like the look of some of the BMW SUVs from behind with the wide tires/wheels.

Aside from that... maybe some all weather floor mats. Oh, and I want to replace all of the halogen bulbs with LEDs on the interior. The reverse lights should also be LED.

E0F43C1C-80E4-4B09-AB2A-6225995682DA.jpeg

#9 Ryan, Mar 29, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    valiant67 likes this.
  10. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Congrats. You just bought the best SUV available imo.
    The GC has been the suv leader from its inception.
    Certainly would be my choice were I in need of an suv.

Ryan likes this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Love the Spider Monkey wheels. They will be a great upgrade.

Ryan likes this.
  12. aldo90731

Very nice Jeep! The current Grand Cherokee is one of handsomest SUVs on the market.

FWIW: I’d keep the OE 18” wheels and add a set of BFG KO2 or General Grabber ATX tires instead. The meatier thread alone will make the Jeep look more purposeful, and they will handle rain, snow and dirt much better than the OE tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That's what I liked about the Laredo X package Grand Cherokee. It had the same size tires as a Limited, but it came with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure (Kevlar) tires. They have been fantastic on the highway and excellent in both heavy rain and the winter weather this year. This is in stark contrast to the tires on he Ram. While they are good on the highway and decent in rain, they leave something to be desired for a winter tire.

If I'd kept the Durango R/T I was going to go with Spider Monkeys with summer tires and 18" wheels with winter tires.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  14. Ryan

Thanks!
    I thought about that, but I'm not really interested in going off road in it. Kind of want to go with the luxury theme. I would have preferred one with no chrome trim, but since mine does have chrome, I want to lean into the luxury theme with 20" silver wheels.

Would also be afraid it would degrade the ride quality but if someone has experience with 18" KO2s on a Grand Cherokee I'd be interested in hearing their experience!

#14 Ryan, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM