AF: Trailcat, Crew Chief coming to Moab | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailcat, Crew Chief coming to Moab

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 3, 2016.

1. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Some of it just team sport mentality.... my team is Ford so I will bash the Mopar ...... same in politics.... very little substance behind it.

freshforged and BASONE88 like this.
  2. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Trailcat... pretty obvious one. Crew Chief, 4 door version of previously shown vehicles? Maybe a glimpse into the dimensions of the upcoming Jeep Truck, such as bed length?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Look atvthevhood cokor and xonsidercthe sourcwmwmarctic cat

Mike V. and HotCarNut like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Arctic cat side by side? Same color scheme...

5. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

6. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

I love the retro look personally, but I have to think the next gen models will need to be much more aerodynamic to get the high MPG that is needed/promised, meaning this is just another tease. Also, it looks to me like this is an all metal roof without a fold down windshield.

On a different note, there has been the promise of a diesel and also a discussion of a high HP four cylinder (Hurricane) with mild hybrid capability that would enable high torque at low RPM until the turbo kicked in. If they do the latter, would there be any demand for the diesel? Traditionally, the diesel would be better off road and offer better MPG, but at a higher purchase price. Would the new Hybrid Turbo Hurricane be able to match a diesel in capability (both on and off pavement) with fewer emissions issues and get the same or better MPG at a lower purchase price? It seems to me that the cost of certifying both isn't justified if they do they same thing. But maybe they don't, thus my question.

7. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

My experience would tell you to stick with a V6 or diesel for real off road use. It's all about usable torque and hp and when it is available.
    Some information gained from one concept not yet shown to the public has the W/S tilted about 10 degrees more than current JK's. Other features already discussed in other threads note the narrowed frontal area, more sculpted front bumper and a tilted grill to improve air flow.

I would wonder more if the Crew Chief has the hydro formed frame, suspension and diesel under the body more than anything else. The cowl in the drawing (now way to know) looks to have the 1.5 -2" extension seen on some of the test mules. Just thinking out loud so no facts to back it up.

8. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

Yes, my straight 6 jeeps always had much better low end torque than the 4 cyl/5 spd manual/4.10 axles XJ I had, but ironically it would go places that my current 4.0L/auto can't do. But the 6 makes it so much easier and I can't imagine going back. BUT, this 4 cyl new engine sounds like it could be a game changer IF they go the mild hybrid plus turbocharged route. But like you, I am very skeptical. The other solution might be the electric supercharger mentioned to eliminate the turbo lag.

9. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

What you have to realize is that love or hate them, the KL is selling like hotcakes and therefor generating a lot of profit. Profit that is used to keep the 'good stuff' at FCA at the top of its game. Personally, I view the KL as a successor to the AMC Eagles moreso than the XJ. Its a rough duty car, and in that capacity it does just fine.

What Id like to see happen at Jeep is a 'soft splitting' of the brand. On the lower rung, youd have 'consumer grade' goods like lesser Grand Cherokees, as well as the KL and Renegade. Any 'compatriot' replacements really should be scooted over to Chrysler and/or Dodge. At the upper end, youd have a 'hardcore' tier that includes all Wranglers as well as SRT-8 and TrailHawk variants of the GC. The Wrangler platform should underpin a few more variants such as a pickup as well as something more akin to the FSJs. And its a pipe dream, but the Rescue concept should be immediately put in production, possibly with a pickup variant there. A full on no holds barred all-conquering offroader designed to survive the apocalypse. Fire departments, oil companies, mining outfits, law enforcement, military...the demand for such a rig is definitely there. If private citizens will step up and pay for them (Hummer H1 anyone?) well why not?

Ruptured Duck, WS23Mopar and TripleT like this.
  10. grungerockjeeper

Any talk of 'hybrid' anything on a Wrangler has bad news written all over it. If they want to offer that kind of thing on soft Jeeps for uban dwellers, then fine. But I see that kind of tech as a huge liability out in the wild. There aren't any bush fixes for that sort of thing, and electronics are notoriously fragile. Wranglers are for bashing thru nasty terrain, period. Even though electric motors may offer 0 rpm torque advantages, batteries and the required computer trickery mean less reliability. When youre that far out in the boonies, I want simplicity and something that I know will work.

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

They won't be moving the Compatriot to Dodge or Chrysler as they are more focused and not international....

but other than that right on..... as the hippies say.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While I think the Cherokee is pretty nice, keep in mind they pulled the dealer incentives off the 200 to focus more on incentives for the Cherokee.
    Is the Cherokee selling well naturally? Or is selling well because of the push? That push put the 200 around 180k sales/year but have now dropped to levels of under 100k/year without those incentives.

WS23Mopar likes this.
  13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I am guessing that a major reason for the "Trungler" is so that they can offer a chassis cab model, assuming of course the "trungler" comes with a removable bed, like regular pick ups, adn not an Avalanche style cab+bed arrangement. I imagine that the higher level upfitters would nearly immidiately start offering really interesting upfits for it (Fire, Rescue, Forestry, Mining, Pipeline, like you say).

They should get the "Hoff" to pimp for it, doing "Bay Watch" style commercials with a rescue version. That, or Bear Grylls.

14. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

"Trungler".... Bad enough to catch on.

15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Uhm? "Prangler" anyone?

16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Wrangler J

17. crmarczak

crmarczak Active Member

Chances they sneak in a diesel or new roof system for JL in one of the concepts?

18. grungerockjeeper

Guess I should have specified for the N.A. market. Internationally, the 'softroader' Jeeps make a lot more sense.

19. grungerockjeeper

Hadnt thought of the chassis/cab possibility...that would really put the 'Trungler' in serious demand! Not that demand is currently an issue, of course. But civilian Jeeps got their start on worksites, I think its only fitting that they get back to their roots.

Too bad Mike Rowe seems to be partnered with Ford...he'd be a perfect spokesman. But then again, Id be happy seeing Wranglers all over the mining sites on Gold Rush. Todd Hoffman, Dave Turin, Tony Beetz, Rick Ness, Grampa John...any of them are the kind of guys that are a natural fit with Jeep's rugged can-do image.

20. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

There will be Dodge and Chrysler version that can be lower more simple AWD, and longer overhangs. Did you see the video on the Renegade off-road on the other thread... It was a pleasant surprise.