AF: Trans Am 2020 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Am 2020

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by Mr.Source, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

This new season is about to start, watch those Challengers at Sebring by the end of the month, last weekend..
    For sure it will be very competitive, hope we will win again.

Tony K and danbek like this.
  2. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

will be watching!

danbek and Mr.Source like this.
  3. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

You will love them

danbek likes this.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I may just go, if I can get a ticket. I just got an invite to the Keys for that week before. I see Adam Andretti is running a Challenger, No. 43 :cool:

danbek and Mr.Source like this.
  5. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

I wish the Trans-Am series returns to be more related to the production cars similar to the series from the 60's-70's.

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

All the _GT classes certainly do.

TA2s are purpose built, but the bodies are built and not just "sticker" COT type bodies. Howe Racing makes the TA2 Challenger body.

TA (per Trans Am - America's Road Racing Series (at http://gotransam.com/transam101/TA-Class/59343 ))

Performance:
    TA cars are capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in under 3.10 seconds, 0 to 140 in under 11.5 and posting . mile times of under 10.8 seconds at over 136 mph. Likewise, they can hit over 190 mph on an extended straight, while breaking capability is 70 to 0 mph in less than 130 feet.

Bodies: Cars must maintain the recognizable external features of the manufacturer’s model while providing the necessary flares for racing slicks. The body is made of composites, including carbon fiber, Kevlar and fiberglass. Multiple bodies are allowed in the TA class but some headliners are the 5th gen Ford Mustang, the C5 and C6 Chevrolet Corvette, with a C7 upcoming, and the Jaguar XKR.

Wheelbase: Standard wheelbase is 102 to 110 inches, depending on model. The maximum overall car width is 80 inches.

Spoilers/Ground Effects: Front and rear spoilers are allowed, but ground-effects are not.

Engine: TA cars are powered by a 358 cubic inch, carbureted, overhead valve, naturally aspirated, V-8 engine. Engines produce well over 850 horsepower and run over a thousand miles before a rebuild.

Suspension: Cars use a coil-over front and rear suspension with a live-axle rear end. Active suspension, telemetry, traction control and ABS brakes are not permitted.

7. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

The body might look like the production cars, but the engines, transmission and suspension are not. Heck, even the chassis is not production.

Tony K likes this.
  8. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Where can we watch it?

9. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Active Member

I just saw Marc Miller moved to or is moving to IMSA, I'll bet he didn't take the Challenger with him, so I suppose that means there no point in watching TA anymore for Mopars at the front? So another unheralded championship Mopar Car\Team gone into history.......aaaaaarrrgggg!
    "Help me Spock!"

10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

11. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Just so you know it looked like mopar/dodge really cut back on spending after the first or second year when they weren't even really sponsoring a car anymore and just had a decal on the nose and rear

14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Stephens Miller Racing will be running at least three Challengers in TA2.

Right now there is only one Challenger in TA1, and that is not an every race situation. It is fast, for sure, as it won and podiumed in several races last year.

In Super GT is where Mopar shines with a couple teams running the 2010 ACR-X. It does very well there, and it has won a few championships. They are stock/near stock Viper ACR-X, 2010.

I don’t think there are any Mopars running in GT, yet.

Soon enough those old ACR-ax’s will be too old to race. Ralph Gilles hears those teams LOUD and CLEAR as they scream for a new vehicle to run. They could be moving over to the newest Viper, GT-3, or ACR-E, as team costs allow. It could mean they are waiting for a Challenger ACR.

Right now, I suspect there will be at least two Challenger ACRs. Both Widebody, with all of the wings and shocks and brakes and other go fast goodies.

I suspect one will be normally aspirated. I was told it was going to get the 7.0l Hemi. 7.0 hemis were/are running around. Now, I am told that the 7.0 Hemi has been put on the shelf-may happen, may not.

The other ACR will be supercharged. It will AT LEAST have the Redeye. I say at least, because I have heard that they may doing like the Demon, and offering a “crate” with that car, too. I am guessing it would have a race calibrated CPU, and other non-DOT parts, up to and possibly including wider full race slicks.

I was also told that one would be a little more focused. I don’t expect the Chally ACR to be faster than the Viper ACR, but at many tracks, it will be within a second.

I also, now have reason to believe (though not concrete) that the Chally ACR will have lots and lots of carbon, maybe even an entire carbon body, and possibly wheels. There are versions rolling around that are closing in on < 3800 lbs. They were less than 4,000 lbs a long time ago.

Tony K and Mr.Source like this.
  15. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Na sayers will be shocked, with their mouths wide open and of course leaking.

The competition will eat our dust !

Muther likes this.
  16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

It MAY be faster than the Viper ACR/E. I don’t know. I suspect it will not be, but it will be close.

To my knowledge, it won’t have a belly pan/strakes or a meaningful rear diffuser, or at least not like the Viper ACR has. It will be heavier than the Viper ACR. It will have more power than the Viper.

Who knows though?

Mr.Source likes this.
  17. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Season its about to begin.

18. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

Adam Andretti's tribute to his brother John is absolutely gorgeous...

Petty blue #43 Dodge Challenger. I think it's the TA class car that won some last year.

I don't think this racing is televised, unfortunately.

hemi_magnum and Mr.Source like this.
  19. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

20. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter