AF: Trans Am 2020 | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Am 2020

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by Mr.Source, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

2. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

3. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. Source.....my home town...:). The city that Dodge/Chryslers were built from the late 19teens to 1981 ( boo to Mr. Lee Iacokeman).

These are all LS flogs though.

I wont support a race series that has Fords and Mopars using GM engines......sorry.

They should each be allowed to use an available crate engine from each respective manufacturer.

Mopars with Mopar engines, not Mopars with GM engines.

;).

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Stevens Miller Racing runs Two (sometimes three) Challengers, at least one Mustang, and at least one Camaro. They have done this for a long time.

They are an arrive and drive operation. You as a driver have to BUY the drive time in their car. If your sponsored, then your sponsors pay for it.

What is less clear is what engine they are using. There is an Arrow built race Gen III race Hemi that is legal for Dodges in TA2, however there is also a spec engine legal for the TA2 Mustang, Camaro, and Challengers. They don’t say, but it’s clearly LS race based.

In TA they use NASCAR cup engines-855hp.

This year, next year they will have XGT. XGT is for older, used GT3 spec cars. XGT’s will slot between TA and TA2 speedwise.

GT and SGT, and XGT are as close as it gets to the original Trans Am Formula. These are are all mostly stock cars. Mods are allowed to bring performance up, or damp performance down, to class standard 911 race stadards.

They use various 911 race chassis as reference standards for each class, as the 911’s are the most universal and ubiquitous sports car race chassis on the planet. It just makes sense.

So, at a Trans Am race, you will See TA full bore monsters, TA2 manufacturer spec, GT, SGT, and XGT, and maybe even the 911 spec classes in one weekend. That’s a lot of racing.

6. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Marc Miller Ram last year, and he won the TA2 championship. The his year he has moved on. I believe he is back in IMSA.

TA2 is pretty much the op tier of grass roots racing. Very cost conscious, and super competitive.

TAs are beastly things. Some of the most powerful circuit race cars out there HPwise.

Torquewise, almost nobody beats them, even F1, Indy, and LMP1/LMD.

Those things are beasts. 900hp/900ft-lbs of madness. The sound is amazing. Hearing those things run up through the gears, up the hill on the RoAm main straight is a religious experience.

#46 Muther, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  7. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

hemirambob posted a link to an article that indicates that this is not the case - that they are done with Dodge.

8. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

We are Racing with a Mopar engine!!

9. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Mopar engines

Muther likes this.
  10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

MIGHT BE, NOTHING IS DONE

Muther likes this.
  11. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Active Member

Mr Source, Muther and Hemibob, I'm not being snarky, but after all that, are they racing Dodges with Mopar power this year?

12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

So you might like better Nascar , where a Camry is Racing with a V8 RWD ?
    Or that Nascar is far away from the original promise of racing STOCK cars?

Or a Ford is not a Ford and a Chevy is not a Chevy.
    I do think Nascar made a big mistake when they broke their original promise.

Nascar has NOTHING stock.

I rather watch Trans Am .

LouJC likes this.
  13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Looking closer at the SMR Challengers, there is Dodge/Mopar sponsorship on them. That, coupled with Mr. Source’s statement, indicates that SMR is still using their GenIII Race hemis.

There are four different engines allowed in TA2. Each make gets its own spec race engine. A Ford V8 race engine for the Mustang, an LS based race engine for the Camaro, and a GenIII Hemi based race engine for the Challies. Each of these is built by a qualified engine builder, and each engine is identical to others of that make, and each originate from their specific make.

In response to a call from team owners, a “class wide” spec engine was developed. This engine can be used in any car, regardless of make. It is NOT specific to any manufacturer. It is unique. That said... it sure looks a heckuvalot like the LS based race engines I have seen. Take that for what it’s worth.

I believe that the TA2 Challies are in fact using Mopar engines, for the two reasons stated. Adding to that, several years ago, Dodge Trucks/Mopar/Ram we’re sponsoring Ricky Johnson in Pro4/2 Stadium Trucks. They were a successful paring.

Then it was made public that RJ was using straight up Chevy LS race engines, and Dodge/Ram/Mopar dropped him like a hot rock. His sponsorship was pulled immediately, mid season. After that, I don’t think Dodge/Mopar would give a team $$$ if that team was using anything other than an FCA engine.

14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I will look into some teams I know, and ask them how the Mopar engines are stacking up. The enough es were updated at the beginning on 2019 and they were putting up a lot of power, and were super competitive. I don’t know how they doing this year, but then again, nobody pro’ly does at this point.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

In TA1, the only engines allowed are the specific NASCAR cup engines for that make, with minor differences allowed for road racing vs oval racing—think cam, timing, and such.

In GT, SGT, and now XGT, each and every part on the car is regulated, and must be original to that car, or it must be an allowed modification designed to bring the car up (or down) to the class reference/performance standard.

16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

TA continues to be one of the most exciting road racing classes to watch. 900hp/900ft-lb monsters going absolutely all out for 100 miles.

I will be interested to see how XGT compares. They will be second in speed only to the full TA cars. They are several year old, used GT3 cars, but in a full sprint format.

Most folks don’t understand what that means. By sprint, I mean that these drivers are NOT holding back. They are driving these cars beyond that car’s performance envelope. They are full blast and then some. It’s different than watching 300, 400, or 500 mile race, or watching a three or four hour or longer endurance race.

The cars are solid, safe, and well built. They try not to get into each other, but you will see plenty of rubbing, and plenty of cars driven past their ability to grip. Nothing like seeing the three leaders with 3000 pounds and 900 HP each in a four wheel drift, clawing at each other.

TA is still America’s premiere race series.

(BUT I will always love “The 500”. The one in Indianapolis.)

17. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Checked.

Right now, there is no driver at Stevens Miller Racing for their Challengers. Their Challengers are races in TA2, and they are an arrive and drive operation. You pay them, they show up with a race car and team ready to go and set up for you, l for each race, and for test days. Your driver sponsors will usually pay for this.

Right now, nobody is driving their Challengers, in spite of the fact their Challengers are extremely (championship winning) competitive.

That could change, by right now, entire racing seasons are threatened. It does not look good for any form or racing that does not start with “sim”

BrianinMpls likes this.
  18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Stevens Miller Racing is building two 2020 Challengers for the TA2 class. They will have Prefix built race hemis. There is talk of a team picking up two Challengers ffrom American V8 racing for the TA class.

There is even talk of a Viper GT3 entering the XGT class. This would be one of the old Ben Keating Viper Exchange cars.

Assuming of course that the world does not end and racing returns at some point.

19. hemirambob

hemirambob Member

Jeff Hinkle in a Challenger was on the entry list for today's TA race at Mid-Ohio. Results are not posted yet. There is a Challenger on the entry list in TA2 for tomorrows race. The car is sponsored by Don Wood CDJR near Columbus OH. I don't have any other details regarding this car. The driver is Jeff Wood. TA2 practice appears to have been rained out. See below.

Trans Am - America's Road Racing Series (at http://gotransam.com/events/Mid-Ohio/12992 )

20. hemirambob

hemirambob Member

#60 hemirambob, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020