Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Fluid In Engine Coolant

Discussion in 'Neon' started by neoncrazy101, May 25, 2016.

1. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

So I bought myself a 2005 Dodge Neon about a month ago, I did the timing belt, water pump, seals, radiator (due to trans fluid in the coolant), upper hose, thermostat, radiator cap, trans filter and fluid change (but not flushed, yet), and oil change. I went ahead and did a chemical coolant flush as well due to the trans fluid. I've been driving her about 1.5 weeks now, I decided to check all fluids today and the trans fluid is where it was when I was done with the change, oil levels is where it was when I was done (with no coolant smell or milk under the cap) with the change yet when I opened the cap there was a white foam on it and I saw something oily in it.

How many flushes should it take to get all the trans fluid out of the cooling system?

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

It might take a couple flushes to do this, but, chances are the transmission cooler inside the bottom of the radiator itself is leaking into the fluid. Time for a radiator to fix the problem.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I see that the radiator was replaced and the ATF may be residual.
    You might try a hot water and strong grease-dissolving soap flush on a warm running engine. Open the block drain and rinse for a few cycles. Some people have used lye, but I won't suggest that as it could be too harsh on aluminum and could cause personal injury.
    I know that after doing a head gasket, I had to scoop the scum off the coolant in the filler neck and on the bottom of the radiator cap for a couple of months.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

OOOPs, missed that by reading too fast. Agree, warmed up, cap off, overflow hose plugged so floaties don't go into the overflow, while running, have a gallon jug of soap and water with a small rubber hose that can be fished into the upper radiator hose so as the engine is running, you can add this lightly soapy water noted above into the engine and let the oil/gunk run out the radiator cap itself. Given the junk floats, out the top is the only way to get it out the best. It gets messy, so lay a large towel on the ground under the radiator, make sure there is also a slight slope. The excess run-off should go onto the towel and catch the oil residue, the soapy water will drain away safely, and yes, you may have to do it a couple times, as in use the gallon of soapy water, shut it off for about half an hour (let it soak a bit in stop mode), then do it again with the engine running the same as before. This should do most of it. Wait another half hour, see if there are more floaties showing, repeat again if necessary. I like Dawn or Tide, both are good oil breakdown soaps, but there is also several water based degreasers available at the auto parts stores or, here's a good one, at Harbor Freight ( do a 4:1 instead of 20:1 solution for the quickest job, stuff works pretty good).