Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans rebuilder using different fluid

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Kevin1990, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Kevin1990

Kevin1990 Active Member

Gent's,

I'll have to purchase a rebuilt 41te for my 99' Grand Caravan sooner or later.

The rebuilders mostly use some full synthetic ATF, not ATF+4....anything to worry about?

I know, fluid descussions almost became a war....just wondering...

Of course i only use the correct fluid, but those rebuilt units are pre-filled.

Greetings
    Kevin

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Do business with someone else unless they have an incredible warranty.

Bob Lincoln and Kevin1990 like this.
  3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I would want to know if the fluid met Chrysler MS-9602.
    Will they share information with you on what specific fluid is used in their rebuilds?

4. Kevin1990

Kevin1990 Active Member

ETE Transmission uses "Synthetec" ATF, check 'Eric the car guy' s YouTube channel, he puts one unit in a 98 Town & Country...

View: https://youtu.be/MUSNW3HDZgo

I'd like to know which fluid the rebuilder from Rockauto uses...

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Snake oil salesman? The ETE warranty looks good, however I'm unable to find information about this product meeting manufacturer material standards.
    If there was information, why wouldn't they publish it?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enyRkzff0vs

Kevin1990 likes this.
  6. Kevin1990

Kevin1990 Active Member

Interesting...maybe it works fine or better, would be curious about Barbara's van...

7. David Eidell

David Eidell Active Member

MoPar wrote a nice letter to answer my inquiry. They were specific about Timken and shear tests and the Shell four ball load test. Thermal decomposition of petroleum ATF, projected mechanical unit lifespan estimates. Even though my old Spirit can use petroleum ATF when the gentlemen at MoPar got through with me, there is 0 chance I would chance any other ATF. IMHO those boys did their homework when they specc'ed ATF4. Seal lifespan isn't part of the ATF guideline, but MoPar made it a priority. Sure convinced me...

Kevin1990 likes this.
  8. guitarjerry

guitarjerry Active Member

+1 as someone who has rebuilt 2 of these, and worked on others, one of which is at 70,000 miles, and I've seen it go up to 30,000 between flushes and therefore no reason to use anything else but ATF+4. Tried and true, Never seen one run good on anything else...

Kevin1990 likes this.
  9. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I put a rebuilt 41TE from ETE in my PT Cruiser. When I received it, there was only residual fluid in it from testing. I filled it with ATF+4. I now have 101,000 miles on it and the transmission has been fine. I don't know if they changed anything and are shipping it filled now.

Kevin1990 likes this.
  10. jglen490

jglen490 Active Member

When I had my '92 PGV (3.3, A604), I had an issue at about 60,000 that I can trace to a trans fluid change that didn't involve ATF+3 (at the time). This incident required a rebuild. The rebuilder used the correct fluid and from that point I used nothing but ATF+3 and ATF+4. My favorite mechanic at one point wanted to use some combo fluid, but I told him flat out nothing but ATF+3/+4 will ever go into it. He agreed. It lasted until 173,000+ miles when I finally traded it in.

Make no mistake, the correct fluid is absolutely necessary - regardless of warranty offering.

Kevin1990 likes this.
  11. blackstratus

blackstratus Well-Known Member

Correct fluid is a must, my 98 Town and Country made it 309,000 miles on the original transmission before failing. Always used the correct fluid since the first fluid change at 30,000 miles. Was Chrysler 7176 back in 1998. Never had one issue with that transmission. It died driving into my driveway and it wasn't even the clutches but the differential pin that failed. Sadly it was towed to the scrapyard.

12. David Eidell

David Eidell Active Member

(Innocent Question) What is a differential "pin" and is it customary for it to fail?

13. Kevin1990

Kevin1990 Active Member

The spider gears grab the large pin connecting them and blow it through the case. But only happens on earlier models (pre 95), newer ones already got secured pins, using little brackets to hold the pin in place.

14. Kevin1990

Kevin1990 Active Member

Great replies gentlemen, thanks a lot!

I always used the correct fluid, was just wondering....