Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans shifting problem + dash lights/gauges

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by 1slowPT, Aug 9, 2017.

1. 1slowPT

1slowPT New Member

Hello, I have a 2005 PT turbo that doesn't want to shift out of 2nd gear, limp mode??? All the gear indicators have a square around them.
    I pulled the trans relay and put the horn relay in its place and went for a drive and it shifted perfect.
    3hrs later went for a drive and back to "limp mode" it wont shift out of first gear. And the dash lights and gauges stopped working.
    The intermittent gauge issue has been going on for awhile and i just unhooked the battery and they would start working again once re hooked up. But my main issue is the transmission not shifting, anyone have an idea what this could be? Trans control module? PCM? Thanks.

2. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

How old is the battery? If the battery is weak, all sorts of weirdness occurs. Everything you have described can be caused by low voltage. A quick test, the battery should read 12.6 volts without the engine running and 13.8 - 14.2 with the motor running.

Check/clean the battery connections and from what I understand check the wiring under the battery tray. Loosen and re-snug all of the grounds braids/straps as one with corrosion can cause a voltage drop.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The 'boxed' PRND3L indicate that the TCM doesn't know what gear is selected. It will go into limp-in for that. It also may not crank over if it doesn't think that it is in 'P' or 'N'.
    This may or may not be related to the cluster/gauges issue. This could be a wiring/connector/communications bus issue?
    Let's begin with fault codes. Any stored fault codes?

4. 1slowPT

1slowPT New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Batttery reads 12.4 at rest and 13.9-14.0 with motor running. I tried to get a code reading today with my obd2 scanner but the dash lights/gauges went dead upon trying. I do recall a transmission control module code months ago when the pt was shifting into gear hard and the torque management seemed weird-let off of the gas and the car would decelerate quickly "engine braking?" Shut the car off, turn it back on and it would shift normal again. Then every once in awhile it would slip out of gear while driving then go right back in. Weird.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Some of these cars had intermittent steering column/instrument panel wiring harnesses where the tilt column position could affect a break or short in the wiring.
    Does moving the tilt column up or down slightly affect the cluster operation?
    Some cars also had intermittent ignition switches where moving the key slightly towards 'off' or 'start' from the 'run' position would restore gauge operation.
    Cycling the ignition key can restore proper transaxle operation as the 'active' fault code will then become a 'stored' fault code until the next time the issue occurs.
    A helpful stored fault code may be present in the TCM as long as the battery has stayed connected. Limp-in is 2nd gear and is the default range if the electricals fail.