Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Case options for Dakota

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by fredF, Jun 27, 2016.

1. fredF

fredF Member

I have a 2000 Dakota 4x4 with a 4/7L automatic.
    The transfer case is binding real bad, runs fine in 2wd.
    The case is a NP 231 D. I went to the junk yard but they only had 3 Dakotas.

My question is "what other vehicles might have the same transfer case? They have plenty of Durangos, Rams, and Jeeps."

Or, is there another case that will easily interchange? I don't want to do any modifications if I can avoid that.
    Thanks!

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Did you check the fluid level first? Years ago I had a leak at the driveshaft seal to the transfer case.

3. fredF

fredF Member

Yes. I replaced the fluid first when I got the truck.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Then if it is not leaking (good idea to check now), there may be internal damage. It is a simple chain drive with a derailleur to engage and disengage, less rugged than one would think.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any mis-match in front-to-rear tire sizes or amount of treadwear? Does it bind on turns (crabwalk) at low speeds worse than going straight?

6. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Any 231d from a Durango or ram with the same tranny but look for a 242 instead. ( same models
    easily recognisable since it has a 4*4 fulltime or awd position that the 231 doesent.
    Just slam it into 4'4 full time and forget it.