Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission flush

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by geraldg, Jun 27, 2016.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Was told I should have the trans flushed, I have heard different opinions about this and even what kind of machine they use. So any input as to yes or no and what type of machine ?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I prefer the pan drop and filter/fluid change myself. It is how the procedure in the service manual says how to do it.
    If you need to use only ATF+4, many commercial transfusion machines at a non-Chrysler shop are used for all kinds of fluids all day long. There is a risk of fluid cross-contamination at these shops.
    You may be told that ATF+4 was used, but fluid left behind in the machine from a previous service may be otherwise.
    No additives are recommended.

Doug D and GLHS60 like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Dropping the pan and changing the filter is the better option of the two methods, but you only get about half of the fluid changed. My servicing dealer recommended drop-the-pan method the first time and then a flush the next time. Then alternate methods from there on. That assumes you are having the fluid changed as per the schedule in the owner's manual (every 30K miles).

A smaller dealer closer to me recommended a flush using their BG machine (and BG products). They didn't feel dropping the pan was necessary as they said the BG products would clean the filter. Never heard that before. Needless to say, I have not had them service my vehicles. That dealer has since changed ownership so I don't know what they recommend now.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with I C that the best transmission service is to remove the transmission pan so that you can replace the filter, clean the pan and magnet. But the next best method is a DIY flush. Remove the transmission cooler return hose that carries fluid from the transmission cooler to the transmission. On the Chrysler 4X series of transmissions, the return port to the transmission is the one closest to the right front wheel. Remove the hose at the transmission and direct it downward into a container. I use empty 1 gallon milk jugs.

Then I take a suction device fitted with a long, flexible tube. I insert the tube into the transmission filler opening and push the tube until it hits pan bottom. I then remove as much fluid as possible. Typically you will get about 3 quarts. Replace fluid removed with exact same amount of fresh fluid. Then start engine and let it idle. Watch as the empty jug fills with fluid while you pour in fresh fluid. When you have drained about 8 - 10 quarts through the cooler stop the engine. Reconnect the cooler fluid line to the transmission and then check fluid level and adjust to proper fill mark. You have just completed a "poor boy" transmission flush which is just as effective as one done by a professional shop with an expensive flushing machine.

Doug D likes this.
  5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I have never, ever, had a transmission flush of any kind in my 72 years of owning Chrysler vehicles and have never had a transmission problem or failure of any kind, whatsoever. Unless the fluid has changed colors it's fine or the if the trans is not working properly. And starting with my 1993 Plymouth mini-van and also my 2002 Chrysler mini-van and my 2007 Chrysler mini-van and now my 2015 Dodge mini-van I have never flushed my cooling system either. It's just a big racket.

#5 Fast Eddie, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    MPE426HEMI likes this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Lol, I tend to agree and never had any problems in the past by not doing it. If the trans is working fine and the fluid looks/smells normal, I usually leave it alone. Never had an issue. Some trans today are "sealed for life" with no dip stick and some with no tube either. And at the very least a PITA to remove/add fluid. Unless there's a problem, I tend to leave it alone. Same goes for coolant. I check the level and top it up if nessisary. Just my experience with it.

7. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

I have heard of new issues popping up after these "flush" jobs. I let my car sit overnight, drop the pan cold and let it drain overnight with the old filter removed. I always get an extra quart or two out doing this.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Don't flush.
    Drain transmission and change filter, and it changes about 70% of the fluid if you give it a day or two of sitting. 30% is old fluid. Do it again, and only 9% is old fluid. Every time you do it, old fluid is diluted/reduced. Safer than flushing.