AF: Transmission Issue 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission Issue 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by PhilB1949, Apr 13, 2020.

1. PhilB1949

PhilB1949 Active Member

I currently own a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan equipped with the 3.8 litre V6 and the six speed automatic transmission. It currently has 344,075 kilometres on the clock. Within the last month I have been having a bit of trouble with the transmission. I will be travelling at 50 km/h and I will hear a thump and the RPM's will go from 1500 to over 3500. I enter the 80 km/h zone and speed up and the RPM's go up to 4500. I will shut it down then it seems to re-cycle itself and will work flawlessly for some time then will do it again. It does this intermittently and will not occur for days at a time. I was slow on changing the transmission fluid and filter, did not do it until I had 224,000 kilometres on the odometer. Am I looking at a major repair or could it be something such as a sensor that might be easy to have repaired?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It is going into 'limp-in'. There should be fault code(s) stored in the PCM/TCM memory. We need to start with those fault codes.
    The codes are still there after a key cycle, they just are no longer 'active' until the next failure.

PhilB1949 likes this.
  3. PhilB1949

PhilB1949 Active Member

Thanks. I will have the codes checked. Garage is closed for Covid-19 at the present time.

4. PhilB1949

PhilB1949 Active Member

Transmission requires a "solenoid pack". It will cost over $1000.00. Not sure if I will have it replaced due to the age of the van and number of kilometres.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Were you given any analysis of the diagnostic codes and how the repair facility arrived at the decision to replace the solenoid pack? It seems someone is firing the "parts cannon" and looking to get an extra large summer bonus payment !

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Depending on the overall condition of the vehicle, it may be worth R&R the solenoid pack. Better than spending $3000 for a remanufactured transmission or a new/near new van. Only you can decide that though.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The price he was quoted is about what I was quoted to replace the solenoid pack in my '06 Ram 1500. One dealership said $1100 and another quoted $800. The pack itself is about $400 if I remember correctly.

8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I believe the original post member started the thread is quoting repair prices in Canadian dollars which would the higher than the United States dollar. So I did some research and found that replacing the solenoid pack is definitely more involved than the unit used on a 41TE 4 speed automatic transaxle. I found a video by a Mopar technician that shows the process. It is definitely involved and labor time consuming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjBXNKtsow

My thought at this point is to make sure that the diagnosis is valid and there is substantial proof that the solenoid pack is the source of the problem. Replacing the solenoid pack is a very involved and expensive guess if the diagnosis is incorrect and does not solve the problem for the long term.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

What is the fault code(s) they pulled up?

10. PhilB1949

PhilB1949 Active Member

I don;t know what they were but she went into "limp mode" again this morning. No engine light on this time.