AF: Transmission noise | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission noise

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by saltydog, Feb 24, 2019.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

So I noticed this a while back, but I thought it was just something rattling.

Today I noticed it and thought I would record the sound, by the time recorded, the trans was fully warm. The noise is more noticeable when the trans is cold.

This in only while in reverse.

I check fluid and level is good and no burnt smell.

Trans operates without issue, shifts smooth as can be(better than my 8sp GM)

Thoughts on what this could be?

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

One of two things. The torque converter bolts are loose, or, the parking pall is not fully disengaging, I believe there is a spring that keeps tension on it that has become weak or broken. Good news is, you can check the flexplate bolts to see if they are loose, and second, if you don't want to pull the transmission, the tailshaft can be pulled while installed in the car, it's just a little drippy when doing it. More info if needed, but that's what the noise sounds like to me.

Scrounge, saltydog and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Thank you, going to be some work on the car soon(adjust valves, new spark plug O-rings and valve cover gasket), so we will check the torque converter bolts.

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'll second the idea of loose torque converter bolts.

saltydog likes this.
  5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

You might use a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, or at least narrow it down. Some stethoscopes are made with pointed ends for this purpose.

saltydog likes this.
  6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Used to run into an issue with the inspection plate/TC shield rubbing against the torque convertor teeth. You can try adjusting that away from the flex plate (there's usually some wiggle room there). I've also had a misaligned starter create some racket. Both issues result in excessive (yet creative) cussing until resolved.

saltydog likes this.