Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with Dart trunk popping open randomly?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by AmbassadorSST, Mar 16, 2017.

1. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

I bought a 2016 Dart GT as a demo with 3000 miles on it in May of last year. About 2 weeks after purchasing the Dart, the trunk would pop open after placing the car in park at random times. It doesn't do it every time, its just super annoying. I've took it to the dealership several times; they seem befuddled and have yet to fix the issue. It's maddening, especially when it's raining, or really cold outside.

Have any other Dart or FCA owners have had any issues like this with their vehicles?

2. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

There is a TSB for it on the Chargers. I don't have it handy though. I had that happening with my Charger. My brother has not had an issue with his Dart.

3. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Thanks for the reply. So it could be an FCA issue, not just specifically a Dart issue?
    It seems like an easy fix, I can't understand why the dealership seems incapable of fixing it. o_O

4. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I don't know enough about the Dart. With the Charger the trunk release button in the would get water in it and cause it to open. If the Dart has a button to open the trunk, it *might* be related. In the Charger it is integrated into the CHMBL. It is the button on the left. The backup camera is on the right.

11-14 Dodge Charger New Center High Mounted Stop Lamp Brake Light Mopar Oem | eBay (at http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-14-Dodge-Charger-New-Center-High-Mounted-Stop-Lamp-Brake-Light-Mopar-Oem-/351883989691 )

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Intermittent electrical can be very frustrating to verify if it doesn't act up at the time that the technician is looking at it.
    The more clues that you can provide for them may make it easier to know where to look.
    'Only when going into Park at times' is an important clue.
    Keep working with them and keep all your paperwork (repair orders).
    Maybe a STAR case with the factory can be opened for the car?

6. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Never had that issue with my Dart and don't remember any complaints about it either.

The factory that doesn't produce Darts any more? LOL

7. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

8. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

It does have a button, and most of the time it doesn't work. I tell them about that every time I take it to the dealership, and they look at me like I'm speaking freaking Portuguese.
    Most of the time it does it right when you crank up the car...after you drive it then put it in park it rarely does it. You can also hear it clicking a bunch of times like a button is being pressed constantly.

9. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

I'm to the point I want them to replace every component that has to do with the trunk release...not sure if the warranty would cover all that though.

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is yours a 2016 model year? I found similar bulletins for older Darts. Make sure that the BCM is at the latest software version:
    There is a TSB # 08-042-12A for passive entry vehicles intermittently releasing the deck lid latch.
    There is a TSB # 08-001-13 for deck lid latch won't release.
    There is a STAR case for 'Deck lid won't latch or stay closed -or- electrically opens while walking away (passive entry vehicles)'.
    The inside emergency trunk latch release T-handle can release the deck lid if it is being slightly pulled on and if it's not placed properly in its stowage follower.
    If you have no luck communicating with the service advisor, I would ask to meet and discuss your issue with the service manager. Bring your receipts with you and ask what the next step is.

11. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Yea, it's a 2016.
    Ill ask them about the software next time I take it in. I tried messing with the emergency trunk release thinking that may of been the problem, but it didn't seem like it was out of place or loose.
    Thanks for the info.

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Does your Dart have the 'Passive Entry' option where it will recognize the key transponder and unlock your car as you approach and lock it as you walk away?

13. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

When I touch the door handle it will unlock it, but to lock it I either use the key fob or button on the door handle.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

OK, that must be the Dart's Passive Entry. That is mentioned as the malfunctioning option possibly causing the deck-lid release.

Dave Z likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

While we're on this topic...

If you do NOT have the passive entry, is there a way to get into the trunk without using the remote button or key fob?

16. JaySilva

JaySilva New Member

Yes I have the EXACTLY same issue.
    The trunk pops open , when I approach the car, push on ignition button, put it in park after driving, step away from the car if I don't lock it w the remote. It evens opens while I'm driving. A couple of days ago I got back to an open trunk after 12 hours away from the car .

17. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Mine has never done that thank goodness! o_O

After going a few rounds with the dealership, they are finally deciding to give me another rental car while they are working on it...
    ...but they ordered the wrong part cause they didn't realizing my Dart had the passive entry...so now I have to wait longer to get the problem fixed.

18. JaySilva

JaySilva New Member

After I did some reading I went to the dealer ,they said they could not find any issue with the stwiches or passive entery system. I found out by myself that the trunk emergency latch cable was forcing the trunk to open , so I give it some slack and everything is good. Also the emergency latch handle gotta be all the way in ( it has some sort of trigger , if it's not put in properly.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  19. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I'm glad that you found the problem. I did mention the emergency latch release handle in post # 10. It must be placed in its proper holder and the cable slack when not being used.
    I would have thought that would have been the first thing the dealer would check.

somber and wolfsblood07 like this.
  20. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

The dealer finally fixed the issue about a month ago after replacing every electrical component associated with the trunk release mechanism after telling them I was going to go to higher ups to see if I could get the issue addressed.

It hasn't had any issues since, and I am very happy about that! :):):)

Soon as I got that issue fixed I got a recall notice in the mail from FCA saying my Dart GT's windshield wipers could malfunction at anytime and stop working. :p I'm going to take it to another dealership to have that issue addressed.