AF: Trump and cafe standards | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump and cafe standards

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by voiceofstl, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

You know how you hear a news story but you never hear the end of it.
    About a year ago didn't president Trump offer to lower the cafe standards for the auto industry but some of the companys said no?? Thats pretty strange. I wish the would. I'm afraid that all those turbo 3 and 4 cyl will be nothing but trouble over 100,000 miles.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Yet another broken promise.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The companies said no because they want to sell one car in the US and in Europe. They want guidelines that won't change every few years.

tlc, freshforged, Zagnut27 and 5 others like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I would add California, companies wouldn't like to have so big differences in powertrains between California (+ companion states) - Europe (+ China) vs. the other U.S.A. states.

It looks like there will be a new companion adopting California emissions rules.
    Nevada to adopt California's stricter car pollution standards, rejecting Trump rollback (at https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-06-22/nevada-will-adopt-californias-car-pollution-standards )

freshforged and aldo90731 like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

DC-93 likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

Ca should not have thier own standards.

7. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

There are currently14 other states that have adopted CA rules. Others are considering them. DC also has CA standards.

DC-93 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

People should not be denying science either.

9. voiceofstl

what does that have to do with the topic?

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Some believe that science is "Bull". They have been caught a few times in error. However, they are correct most of the time and pollution has decreased a lot since EPA requirements have been instituted.

DC-93 likes this.
  11. voiceofstl

"cost of diminishing return" trying to get that last %10 cost more then the first %90.

GLHS60 likes this.
  12. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

All US states are not created equal with it comes to air emissions standards. States that don't naturally meet EPA air standards are known as "non-attainment" states. Federal law mandates that these states create state programs to help reach "attainment". This makes things very different than in states like mine that have always been in attainment. In my state, we don't even have car inspections much less emissions testing. The big polluting states like California also make it hard on surrounding states because air pollution travels and doesn't stop at state borders. Most states near California might as well adopt California air emissions rules because they are fighting the same pollution from California.

Bob Lincoln, DC-93 and Ryan like this.
  13. voiceofstl

there should be 1 national standard

14. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

You want to say this, ignoring the fact that different states have different contributing factors to their air quality?

You said my post stating that people shouldn’t ignore science was not relevant to this thread - yet here you are doing it.

Bob Lincoln and DC-93 like this.
  15. voiceofstl

Ca can and does give incentives to zero pollution cars..that is more then enough to make up any losses the deem to make up for a national standard

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I agree there should be one standard — a standard which does not require California to violate federal air quality laws.

Ryan, Bob Lincoln and DC-93 like this.
  17. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Auto companies has shown that they can comply with CA standards and it is cheaper for them when only one standard is used.

Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Heck, even within one state there are different standards. In selected counties in northern VA, emissions tests are required while the rest of the state is exempt.

19. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

If California has the most stringent restrictions to meet, why don't all auto makers just build all of their vehicles to meet California standards, regardless what state they may be initially going to? Wouldn't that be cheaper for them?

Also, when someone from California buys a vehicle from a different state, that may not have originally complied with the California standards, is it then up to the buyer to make any vehicle modifications so that it will then comply with California standards?

freshforged likes this.
  20. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

There are many reasons that CA has raised costs above even EPA standards. If you want to sell there, then you must have green cars. Remember when it was said that they did not wish that you would buy a 500E as it cost more to make than the sales price? Most vehicles must be equipped as delivered and you are OK. Trucks and heavy equipment are a problem. If you bring equipment in for a job, there is a minimum that must be tier IV and trucks must be updated or you can't have access to many places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.