NewsKeeping the (valve lift) pressure up • Behind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump coming to Michigan tomorrow to talk with Automotive Execs...

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by redriderbob, Mar 14, 2017.

1. cygnus

cygnus Member Supporter

Is it really that much a secret at this point? Push the targets back another 5 years, at minimum.

2. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

I don't disagree that Tesla and Musk have been, and are playing a major role in the industry. In-fact, whether this can be credited to Musk or not, battery technology has made leaps and bounds over recent years! Kudos!

I think what it comes down to - is (when we ask) what is the cheapest, cleanest, most efficient form of (or mode of) moving massive numbers of people and product around(of their own volition)?..The majority-answer is still fossil fuels. And I don't think we can change that fact thru subsidizing and penalizing. But I do suppose, somehow, the thinking is - we can somehow reign consumption in and keep it from going rogue - with regulation.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

I've long dreamed of electric cars someday replacing ICE cars, so I'm not against electrics. I am against most government subsidies. I just wonder what the amount of oil industry subsidy is, and is it offset by the subsidies given to electrics? Tesla benefits from some things that ICE producers don't (renewable energy credits, federal and some state electric vehicle credits, no road-use taxes in many states which collect road-use taxes at the gas pump).

sickboy and freshforged like this.
  4. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Member

What are the European CAFE targets? Won't there be a claim that lowering CAFE gives US companies an unfair advantage and Europeans must continue break new ground in emissions standards as they've done in the past? It seems manifestly unfair that Europeans must keep building cars that Americans don't want simply because our fuel is cheaper.

5. cygnus

cygnus Member Supporter

European OEMs don't need to do anything if they don't want to. People vote with their wallets. The rest speaks for itself.

6. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

There is a brand CO2 emission...

7. codypet

codypet Active Member

This. I would like to see a level playing field for both oil and electric. I think there's a market for both, and the free market will make the two competitive.

8. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

The question in my mind is what is the cost of doing nothing, and what is the likelihood, given the level of technology today and the cost in terms of time to market and cost of implementing that we will see real-time-environmental scrubbing like you suggest in my lifetime or the lifetime of my child? IMHO it is fairly low. So in effect what you and other are advocating is doing nothing for 50 years and then hope that science waves a magic wand and makes it all go away. I've known science to be many things but magic it is not. Again, speaking only for myself, the potential cost of doing nothing to curb what we know to be harmful emissions now is far greater than the cost of doing something to reduce those emissions.

But as has been said already--this trip is a bit of political theater and nothing of importance will be settled today.

humdrum, JKU12 and Zagnut27 like this.
  9. sickboy

sickboy Member

I'm with you.
    The car of the future always seemed to be non ice. Jetsons, back to the future, or just about any utopian type sociaty (Ok, there is the mad max/ post apocalypse ideal that we would still use fossil fuels). My iPad, and nearly everything in my house runs on electricity. Save for my dryer and hot water heater. Imagine the opposite. I believe all being equal; power, range, cost, refuel times and so on, we as a sociaty would choose electric over fossil fuels. This is just the transition phase. Question is, how hard are we gonna make it?

somber likes this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

I guess that depends on who's in charge and what their underlying beliefs and motives are. If there's an economic case to be made for a change over, then it stands a higher probability of occurring. If you're trying to sell something to the board because it's "the right thing to do" you're going to get in return blank stares. If you can convince them as to how you can make money, they're all smiles. :)

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Here is the livestream from Willow Run....

12. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Member

That doesn't make any sense. Why should American companies get a break on CAFE standards when the standards in Europe aren't going down (and they are probably higher!)

13. redriderbob

Because we buy more trucks and SUVs then they do... and the market here is much bigger!

cygnus and DarkSky like this.
  14. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

Electricity does a lot of things well. It does not do everything well. This can be said for anything, anyone cares to speak of.

If one wills something to do a job it wasn't meant to do, that's fine. But you shouldn't ask - everybody - to cut off their nose to spite the face (my nose isn't the prettiest thing - it does do a pretty good job of knowing the difference between fresh lilacs and horse manure - sour milk comes to mind -, though).

Now the problem with transportation is, everybody uses it (there are so many different ways - to - do so, besides). IMHO, the human race has done a fantastic job of developing all of the best modes of transportation - to date! I mean, no one else is offering any ideas..every other animal and insect I know of is still on foot.

Obviously, we need to be mindful of the environment (and) I think we generally are. Likewise, it is our nature to manifest and innovate in the most efficient ways possible. There is a different perspective out there, however, which holds the human race as a scourge. ;)

Bigun426, somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. redriderbob

I like electric cars. We have a 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid and the gas/electric is super efficient. I have no doubt in my mind we will see more gas/electrics in the next decade as it will be become more of the norm.