NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump coming to Michigan tomorrow to talk with Automotive Execs...

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by redriderbob, Mar 14, 2017.

1. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

I like electric cars too! I have a 2017 Prius in my driveway, as well! But I have to get in my Durango to pull the boat to Lake Powell.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Illegal Machine likes this.
  2. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

Corporations only care about profit and $$. They will naturally do everything to maximize that under whatever rules and regulations are set for them (and sometimes they skirt those as well, but that is another topic). Govt should be in a position where they weigh all societal concerns - those of the corporation, the environment, citizens, economy, etc.

I fear this administration will lean too far to only listening to the corporations. For the sake of the long term, I hope that is not the case.

djDaemon and freshforged like this.
  3. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Member

It seems patently unfair that the US should be able to lower CAFE standards while the rest of the world is forced to keep building smaller cars that Americans aren't as interested in. There should be some element of fairness here. Maybe the UN should intercede and set CAFE standards?

4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Yes, Europe should be forced to widen its roads so it can accomodate the vehicles that all people desire!

5. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

China is accelerating introduction of stricter emissions levels, starting 2018 instead of 2020.
    Their national light/heavy vehicles 6/VI standard, with modifications, is based on european standard 6 and VI (6 for light vehicles and VI for heavy duty).
    Classification of vehicles, as in many other countries worldwide, is based on european classification.
    There will be China 6a and than China 6b with RDE (this last with real drive emissions tests).

China also is looking to adopt fleet average fuel efficiency limit, that should be 47 mpg based on their test cycle with a roadmap for more fuel efficient vehicles.
    Some Honda managers commented that with that limits by 2025 they would need to have all hybrid vehicles to meet that target values.

And than there are also the safety standards, most are adopting the european safety standars and crash test procedures.

6. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

Maybe. There are potentially bad cases of this - but not all corporations are like that. Regulations are a good thing, just like electricity. But both can also kill.

I do agree with the most of your post though!:D

freshforged likes this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Autoline sums up the topic....

8. Erik Latranyi

Wrong thread. lol

TTO_XODJ likes this.
  9. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

The U.S.A. market is not so much bigger than european one.

In 2016 were registered in European Union (25 countries - Malta that is always late in giving its data)
    passenger cars: 14.641 million (a Jeep Wrangler is for 99,99% of times a passenger car in Europe)
    light commercial vehicles (under 3.5 t): 1.919 million (a van , a pickup are for most registered as LCV)
    medium and heavy duty vehicles (over 3.5 t): 367k
    medium and heavy buses and coaches (over 3.5 t): 40k

In EFTA countries (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) passenger cars registered were 490k.

FGA cheerleader and BASONE88 like this.
  10. Mallard

Mallard Member

Subsidies for fossil fuels in the US are approx. $20billion annually. World wide it is over $500 billion. Clean energy as a whole is $120 billion globally, and only a small part of that is related to EV's.

freshforged likes this.
  11. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

When factor in dollar amount U.S. is significantly bigger.

redriderbob likes this.
  12. Mallard

Mallard Member

Not sure if you meant to quote me there, but you and I are in total agreement. Something must be done today to curb our current trend.

13. Erik Latranyi

Totally not true and this is getting too political for Allpar.

14. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

Maybe my confusion is that these numbers include coal and natural gas? I'm really trying to get at differences for ICE cars vs. electrics. I found this NY Times article that states if federal subsidies for oil and gasoline were eliminated, that the price of gas at the pump would rise about 2 cents/gallon. In my state, NC, the state excise tax per gallon is about 34 cents/gallon, which is in addition to the federal excise tax of 18 cents/gallon. The 2 cents/gallon of gas subsidies that electric cars miss out on is far more than compensated by the 52 cents/gallon tax they don't get charged (at least in my state). Right now, it looks like the taxation field is tilted decidedly in favor of electric cars.

BASONE88 likes this.
  15. Mallard

Mallard Member

The grid needs a major upgrade, PHEV's/EV's or not.
    The $500 billion figure came from a Bloomberg article and the $20 billion ballpark figure was found at multiple sources.

It's also worth nothing that now solar employs more people than oil, gas, and coal combined, so it's not like all the jobs/economic impact are in fossil fuels. It's cheaper per kWh too.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    freshforged likes this.