NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump coming to Michigan tomorrow to talk with Automotive Execs...

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by redriderbob, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

The "politics" in this (and why it does not belong on Allpar) is how do you define "subsisdy".

Many of the oil/gas./coal "subsidies" cites are the same deductions that any business gets for existing. A tax deduction that is not specific to that industry shoudl not be counted as a "subsidy".

True subsidies are grants, tax credits (like electric cars) and loan guarantees (like those given to Solyndra).

Oil and gas get to deduct R&D (like any business) which includes exploration costs......which costs far more than many other industries. It is similar to semiconductor in this way, which deducts a huge amount for R&D.

Other than this, Oil and Gas do not get loan guarantees and tax credits like solar, wind and electric vehicles.

This is why one cannot make a clear claim without getting into politics......and why it does not belong on Allpar.

wtxiceman and somber like this.
  2. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

The other note about all of this is that Trump can make a change, but unless he gets California on board it won't matter so much, as our emissions regulations apply to over 1/3 of the country and thus effectively everyone.

3. Andy4.7

Andy4.7 Member

Amen to that Dakrt99!! I hope dumping these lame fuel economy rules clears the way for my 2019 Hemi JT!!..... I can dream can't I.

4. Mallard

Mallard Member

Yup! The states setting their own standards would be a disaster for the OEM's. They would have to pick the highest standard and use that across the board, but then who certifies them? In reality it would probably be a nation divided by those who adopt CA regs and those who follow minimum federal standards (that kind of happens now anyway).

I think the best/easiest thing to do would be to keep the current standards but push the date out, which changes the glide path of what needs to be met every year.

5. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

Here, in Salt Lake City, we have terrible inversions during the winter months. In my industry, we've been forced to comply with VOC regulations - similar to CA's. There has, also, been major efforts to promote EVs and CNG to curb the problem (I believe you can travel from Pocatello to Las Vegas on CNG because of our infrastructure). The VOC regulations I mention, which affect my profession, are county by county - so there is no regulation in Summit County to the east. The east/west alignment of the Wasatch Mountains, combined with the sheer numbers of people populating the area, equate to inversion - which is not seen elsewhere.

cgseller@gmail.com likes this.
  6. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

CA has an exemption to do just exactly that. And since several other states follow CA guidelines (effectively 35% of the country), CA basically works closely with the feds. OEMs are not going to design cars to fit two different standards. The key will be whether CA is allowed to retain exemption.

cygnus likes this.
  7. TTO_XODJ

TTO_XODJ Member

We will begin to see more electric and hybrid cars regardless of what any of us want to believe. The V8 will stick around for years, but I don't see it being able to stick around for 20+ years. Also, manufacturing jobs are great, but you can expect to see those go away soon as well, automation is the real killer of jobs, not companies leaving the country.

8. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Sorry mallard must have misunderstood you--running up on 48 hrs with only 4 hours sleep when I wrote that. Cheers.

9. cgseller@gmail.com

cgseller@gmail.com Member

Automation is killing roles, not necessarily employment. If Automation killed employment then 90% of us would be unemployed today. It surely does move the cheese of those involved and future people in the field.

DAGAR and BASONE88 like this.
  10. DC-93

DC-93 Member

Robots don't buy cars.

11. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

Yep, there is nothing any politician is going to do to get rid of automation. That's the real mfg job killer. But of course, they don't admit that.

freshforged likes this.