AF: Trunk Locked - 2000 Concorde LXi | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trunk Locked - 2000 Concorde LXi

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by jaygreg, May 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jaygreg

jaygreg Active Member

None of these will open the trunk that has opened without incident for years:
    1) The trunk button on the dash
    2) The button on the fab
    3) The key

Additional info:
    A) Fuse #16 (20amp) is OK... but I'm not sure that's the one that may be involved or even IF there's a fuse involved.
    B) The official Factory Service Manual that will probably show me what the back of the trunk latch looks like for possible access with a long pole run through the arm rest/trunk back seat access door ... is locked in the trunk!

Q1) Is there a fuse other than #16 I should check?
    Q2) Is it possible to fish the lach open through the area in "B"?
    Q3) Where can I find a picture of what that latch will look like from the access area in "B" so I can determine what I need to make a tool to grab of connect with whatever?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

3. jaygreg

jaygreg Active Member

Thanks! It's difficult at first glance to see if some sort of makeshift pole with a connection at the end can be fashioned to be feed through the access door to reach and affix to whatever is necessary to trigger that latch.

What's your personal opinion? Possible?

If not probable, I'll probably have to hire some lad to crawl through the back. At a younger age there'd be no problem but now... I don't bend so easily.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I can't recall if the latch is exposed or under a cover. The rear seat isn't difficult to pull out.

5. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

They started requiring the glow-in-the-dark release handle in 2001; it may have been installed in the 2000. It would be much easier to grab/hook the release handle than to poke at the mechanism.

6. jaygreg

jaygreg Active Member

The 2001 handle isn't on my car. When I started having intermittent problems it the deck, I scanned the repair manual; the one that's in my trunk.

It's difficult to judge from the sketches in the reference you gave me, IC, just what I should be turning to trigger the lock. The cylinder has an arm that looks like it feeds into the mechanism that connects with the latch but I can't tell it it's exposed or covered by that mechanism. If it's viewable from the access door, perhaps I have a chance with some make-shift pole. If not... well... looks like I'll have a hire a neighborhood lad to climb in there with a light and fish around.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If you see an exposed link between the key cylinder and the latch, that is what you want to move and 'hopefully' unlatch the decklid.
    The latch may be frozen. Penetrant may work it free again?

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The fact the key doesn't unlock it worries me. I would think there is no electrical component to that. I once had the lock jam up on my 1979 Cordoba. I tried everything, the key didn't work, the trunk popper didn't work, I couldn't the mechanism to turn no matter what. Because of the bracing you couldn't really get into the trunk from the rear seat. I ended up getting a whole lot of extensions and unscrewing the bolts holding the latch to the trunk.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A valet key may not open the trunk, glove box or center console. Make sure that you are using the right key. Try a shot of graphite into the key cylinder if it is sticking.

10. jaygreg

jaygreg Active Member

Update! Well.... a wannabe mechanic friend stopped by and volunteered to remove the back seat and attempt to open the truck. He DID get in, could not find a way to trigger the latch, and while he took a break he pushed the dash trunk release button and "Whala!"; it opened. We spent the next 15 minutes trying to find a break in the wires we could see from the truck then decided to push our luck and close the trunk again. "Locked out!". Back to same status.

I went out and bought a $25 cable tracer from Harbor Freight... but I've never used one. Seems simple enough; I understand the principle. But first step is to pop out that dash button, examine it, and use the new tool from there.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

If the button worked there is no reason why the key doesn't. The latch/lock must be sticking, nest time you get it open Look at the latch closley, take it apart and clean it real well and lube it and see what happens.

chuzz likes this.