AF: Turbo Patent | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Patent

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by plymouth1, Nov 14, 2019.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Hmm Autoblog citing Allpar and MI. Looks like we have a good inside track on things.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  2. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, twin turbos...but why so many control valves?
    What is the reason for the air valve before the turbos?

James A likes this.
  3. James A

James A Active Member

Says a few years away... I thought this was supposed to debut in the GC next year... Mopar Insiders had some undercarriage spy shots that indicated this motor, no?

4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

FCA was planning on higher fuel prices, which in their mind was poison to the Hemi. As long as fuel is where it's at people love their V8s. Can be had with the same basic power and much less complicated.

5. Chase300

That video shed nothing about the drawing and what is or is not in it. What is different about this engine design with respect to the air flow per the drawing? What is in that drawing that is patentable?

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If this engine has the same hp as the 5.7 and 6.4 while getting better gas mileage that's a win in my book. That means for all the people that al;ready want/do tune their hemis this engine will blow it out of the water with just a simple tune. As much as you liked to say the hemi "is much less complicated" it's not that much like you're making it out to be. Turbos and i6 have been around forever, it's not like the hemis have their own issues..... Oh wait yes they do

Tony K, HotCarNut and T_690 like this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I would add that with upcoming technology there is no turbo lag. Electric supercharger (eBooster) + turbocharger or upcoming electric turbocharger.

8. James A

James A Active Member

All this tech talk about turbos is fine and well for gaming the CAFE regs, but it was said that these cars sell more v8's so replacing affordable v8's with complex turbo engines is risky business for these cars it seems. Great as a Pentastar replacement and maybe as a 5.7 replacement as long as a v8 option isn't starting too high. Dodge buyers want affordable v8's. Phasing out V8's or pushing them far upmarket should be gradual IMO.

#10 James A, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  9. Chase300

I would think they'd stick this engine in the trucks first...like Ford has done. Pickups and SUV's.
    Mustang has either a turbo 4 banger or V8...I can't see a Chally T/A with a 6 cyl...Scatpack might still work.

James A likes this.
  10. mopar22

How many more v8s do they sell? Because looking at the lots it seems dealers carry more v6

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. James A

James A Active Member

I read recently that they sell more V8s than V6s surprisingly, hence the investment in the upper trim V8 cars. Motor week says 30-35% of annual sales are SP and HellCat. I don't know what RT does but probably not enough to break past 50%. So, I'm not sure what I read but either way, V8s sell a large percentage of these cars and dropping them or making them too expensive is still risky IMO. To your point, I love in the "salt belt" where we have bad winters and most cars on local lots here are V8.

HotCarNut likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

Ford has their Ecoboost. FCA wants this to compete with Ford. Ford's claims to fuel economy has been debunked because their engine is quite thirsty when it's tasked. I would imagine that'll be the same outlook with this engine.

James A, valiant67 and tomit like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The thing is real world numbers don't matter. just what the EPA prescribed tests show.
    I think the difference between an "aggressive" and a "conservative" driver maybe be greater on the smaller turbo engines than the larger V8.
    It's a shame the EPA test procedures don't show a range, especially for trucks, corresponding to light load & conservative driving to fully loaded more aggressive driving.

One of my Ford friends, who didn't consider himself a really aggressive driver, found out he had a lead foot when his rental EcoBoost F150 got worse gas mileage than his V8 F150 (while his truck was in the shop).

The whole point is that the smaller, turbo engine is the answer for some buyers. But not for all buyers.

14. Adventurer55

The real sad part about this program is the vehicle that needs a torquey six without turbos, or maybe just one is Wrangler. The Pentastar is in over its head with the Gladiator especially. They can't or won't put a Hemi in it, and the diesel which will be an answer for some, won't see wide acceptance.

Firecatman and James A like this.
  15. Adventurer55

16. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

And how reliable is that?

17. mopar22

I don't think you can really say a fully built engine like that (hemi, ls or whatever engine you're building) is in a league of it's own. The most stock thing on that is the block and that's still had some things done to it. For the amount of work that was done to it that's not really a lot of power for the price it would cost. There's a reason ls engines are truly in a league of their own, they have a small foot print and are stupid cheap to buy and mod. That's a complete 180 when compared to a hemi.

If fca does a turbo i6 right they could very easily be a great engine to mod. Just as an example a stock gti 236hp/274lbs when measured by a company. For comparison a stage 1 which is just a straight tune is 337/375. Now a stage 2 which is just a downpipe with a free flowing cat 351/392. Then a stage 3 is the stock golf r turbo 397/403, then of course you have aftermarket turbos and whatnot to get even more power. But what i'm getting at is look at how much simpler it would be to tune a turbo/superchaged engine vs a na v8

HotCarNut likes this.
  18. mopar22

It's a fully built engine so i'd hope it's fairly reliable but if i had to guess that thing is pushing out about as much as it possibly can before you get a window for the internals