AF: Turbo Patent | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Patent

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by plymouth1, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

We all know CDJR ECU is locked

2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

People have and will crack it, it all comes down to how much someones wants to do it (it took 6 years for the 2.4 for example). If not all these hellcats would be running the same exact times because the ecu would cut it back down to the right parameters

3. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

The idea of FBO and Tune is the amount of horsepower you get for the money.
    Having the need to unlock the ecu before utilizing the full use of FBO defeat the purpose of the FBO due to cost.

How long did it take to crack the security codes on the Hellcat and how much did it cost and how many supporting vendors?

I get the idea of FCA locking the ecu, but the GME-6 in nowhere will be a tuner friendly as much as we hope to.

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Have no clue how much the hellcat tune cost and how long it took, but it's also a way different price point then a lower trimmed car will be. Even if the i6 isn't as tuner friendly as you hope it is still way more then the v6,5.7, and 6.4

T_690 likes this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Regardless of tunability this engine should offer a couple of KEY advantages over the Pentastar.
    - Lower production costs.
    - Lower maintenance costs for owner.
    Win, Win!

Dave Z and James A like this.
  6. James A

James A Active Member

I don't think tuning is going to make buyers prefer a GME 6 over a Hemi. If the GME 6 sounds like a burbly lawnmower like a lot of 6's do I think it'll be a turn-off, even if it puts down 5.7 performance at Pentastar MPG. I'd be surprised and impressed if the GME 6 was a BMW 540 competitor at half the price. I still think its better as a Pentastar replacement.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  7. Chase300

BMW's inline 6 has always been a sweet sounding engine...so certainly with exhaust tuning, this upcoming inline 6 can sound as good if not better.

8. James A

James A Active Member

My cousin has the current 540xi. It's exhaust note doesn't compare to the Hemi with the 2.75 exhaust. It's not supposed to, but an I6 Charger R/T will be compared to a V8 aesthetically as well as performance-wise...

Adventurer55 likes this.
  9. Chase300

Outside the vehicle you are correct..hard to duplicate the sound of a V8!..but we know they can pipe in just about any sound inside the vehicle to be pleasing to the ear. Doesn't the current Mustang already do that?

I've warmed up to the idea of a nice inline 6 replacing the 5.7 Hemi. Should be much easier to work on and with only 1 exhaust manifold, 1 head, instead of 2...plus the increase in room to work around the engine, repair costs should be less.
    Try removing the passenger valve cover to replace the seal on a 5.7L in a LX body and you'll want something a bit easier to work on.

djsamuel likes this.
  10. James A

James A Active Member

Yeah maybe but the sound of two turbos, one being electric and the computers involved in that and the potential for leaks and blown turbos and worn out parts doesn't sound too simple to me. But I digress, there clearly are benefits to this motor. I just wish that it would arrive already.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Even with the turbo, a less complicated, lighter, smaller, and probably cheaper system - works for me. Turbos work just fine if designed right, just ask any Cummins diesel owner.

djsamuel, tlc and Chris mopar like this.
  12. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I, for one always liked the sound of a big in-line 6, such as a Jaguar E-type, or an Austin-Healy 3000. That throaty roar might not sound like a V8, but sure sounds better than a V6, and a lot better than a V10.

As far as locking the computer down, the government requires that OBD-II and higher vehicles have the ability to be reflashed by the dealer with updates. How long do you think it was before the aftermarket was able to do it? I am not up on the newer FCA electronics, but I know the older stuff was pretty "locked down" as it required replacing the computer to change things. Most of my current playing with ECMs is on Ford EEC-V systems, they are field flashable, and I have the software and hardware to do my truck (that's how I can run a 1996 MAF/SEFI system without a cat or 3rd O2 sensor, nor a misfire detector) all of these are disabled in the software, but since the truck is a 1986 F350 it never had a cat.