Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uConnect update-- Navigation no longer functioning?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, Jun 17, 2017.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Hi y'all!

Just updated the 2015 Dart Aero 1.4t/ 6mt/ 8.4n with all the updates Chrysler makes available online based on the vehicle's VIN. It said there are four (4) updates for the car-- checking previous versions, it seems the Dart has not been updated since it left Belvedere in 2015!

Update 1: UCONNECT®8.4_MY14_MY15_RADIO_PF_ONLY_15_11_E4
    worked fine, seemed to update the full headunit. Navigation and satellite radio still functioning after this one. Car started fine(hey-- one can't be too careful with these things!)

Update 2: UCONNECT®8.4N_NAV_6_22_MY14_MY15_PF_RB5_RB6_NAFTA Installed without a hitch-- seemed to be navigation maps update-- this is where the navigation stopped showing maps and only shows a loading screen.

Update 3: UCONNECT_8.4N_NAV_7.09_MY13-16_PF_RB5_RB6_NAFTA Also installed with no errors. I assumed this one would patch/repair the previous maps installation. Navigation still not loading, but shows the GARMIN splash screen with some text (loader/loading map data?) overlaid.

Update 4: UCONNECT_8.4_RADIO_16.16.E2_MY14-16_PF_NAFTA_ROW This update I can not install because the file is not available from Chrysler's servers. It gives an error message when I try to access the link from Chrysler's update site.

What might the proper course of action be? No dealership does 'free' work. I've had no luck in having anything with this car serviced under warranty-- they always bill me $75-150 for their labor with the reason being that my problems are not warrantied. This is why I undertook this simple task myself.

The thumb drive was the correct size and formatting, and I reformatted it FAT32 for each update-- unzipping each file to the clean drive for installation. The car recognized each update, and I checked the version numbers to make sure the updates were necessary. I do not feel it to be user error-- this is a simple process.

I'll take the car for a drive shortly and see if the maps/navigation just need to settle-in and get their bearings from the satellites to begin working again, but wanted to document the issue for others, and to see if perhaps I did something wrong.

Best--

2. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Update:

Tried reinstalling updates 2 and 3 after getting update 4 installed successfully-- still no go. The system doesn't seem to recognize the thumb drive now.

Driving the car around hasn't helped anything. The GARMIN loading splash screen jumps sideways a couple pixels, akin to how a screen saver might do the same-- but the software does not load and the system stays on that splash screen in an infinite loop.

:/

*edit*

All other functions are working-- only Navigation is quarrelsome.

3. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Second update: booting the system with a USB drive installed does nothing any longer. It does not prompt any updating. Radio plays as normal when booting and the accept button shows.

Removing the USB drive and reinserting it shows a USB icon on the upper left screen and pauses radio function-- but in a moment's time a 'no files' text shows in the top right. Removing the USB drive brings back on the radio.

The appropriate files are housed on appropriate thumb drives-- the car simply will not recognize them any longer after they've been applied, it seems. There is nothing to have mucked-up in this installation.

I wish to drive it into a tree.

4. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Google and see if you can find a soft or hard reset procedure for your car. I have had to do the soft reset several times on my Durango when the car does not move in sync with the maps.

6. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, valiant67! Spent a bit of time on the telephone with a nice lady at uConnect tech support, and we couldn't get the car to complete a reset, so she's referred me to the dealership.

Let's see how much this costs me.

This is the last time I attempt anything with the car beyond washing it and paying the bill. I am embarrassed by having failed at doing something so simple as plugging in a USB drive, and that embarrassment is turning into anger.

There's no way I did this incorrectly.

7. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I do solemnly swear to never try to modify or to repair my own automobile again. Lol

The thing started working just as mysteriously as it stopped. I will not argue :D

8. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

It is a Linux firmware system. They can be finicky, even on something like a copy machine (MFP). It is not that it did not recognize the USB, but rather, it detected an older version of firmware and would not allow it to boot. Took time for it to download the map data again.

9. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

No further complaint for me on this-- but I would like to mention that nowhere in the documentation was there a warning or anything to allay any concern over the car needing some time to adjust to the changes.

It isn't a McDonald's 'I NEED IT NOW' type of reaction, but rather a 'computers are solid state and either work, or don't.' kind of reaction-- and it caused panic.

A simple 'your car will require A new satellite link to complete the update process-- please do not panic when navigation maps do not appear immediately upon updating-- drive the car as-normal until updating can be completed. It is an automatic process.'

Something like that would have kept me from the panic and embarrassment :p

Christopher and valiant67 like this.
  10. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

P. S.

I'm a talker, and more OCD than most. Some people take it as genuine complaining and/or advice-seeking whenever I'm really just exploring various topics to a depth most people don't care to reach in their discussions.

Please keep your patience when it seems I'm arguing or complaining-- it's just the nature of how I communicate. This is absolutely maddening to most people.

wtxiceman likes this.
  11. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Last complaint..

The Sirius radio I've never paid for(18 months free on a used car, y'all!!) stopped working after this update and I'm a little sad by it lol

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In my case, I can't get the update to take place because it's not recognizing any files on the USB stick. Three different USB sticks, all formatted FAT32, all other files removed, just the firmware file. I am not happy with the update method.

13. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

I have had this issue on a couple of cars and the problem ended up being the USB outlet. Make sure the radio can communicate with something like an ipod. If it can't then the outlet is most likely causing the issue.

14. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing your troubles!

In my Dart's case, it just needed a moment to collect itself :/ good luck with yours, you'll get it installed!

This is far from a seamless process.

15. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level III Supporter

When I updated my Ram 20167 radio/Uconnect/nag after about 20 minutes I got a screen msg that said the full download and update would take 60 - 90 minutes and to NOT turn the unit off. So went for a long drive. It worked just fine, but for the screen msg I'd have never known it would take that long. cheers

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Works fine with music.

17. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Off-topic, but-- how does one format a thumbdrive for music if using it with uConnect?

I just dumped my iTunes music folder onto the drive(artist folders and all) but it never worked.

With only terrestrial radio now-- I'm going to need to build a thumb drive with more music! Pandora repeats itself too much.

18. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I just formatted it and just did drag n drop on the USB. Worked fine until recently. Will have to check now that I am driving the Charger again.

19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

Is the file you are putting on the USB in compressed format? As the file has to be in decompressed format.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Nope. Decompressed, ends in .cfg or some such.