AF: Unifor tentative deal | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unifor tentative deal

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Adventurer55, Oct 15, 2020 at 3:13 AM.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I read an unrelated article over the weekend that quoted Larry Dominique, PSA's executive in North America: sounds like Peugeot is moving ahead with its plans to return to N.A.

Move over Fiat... Fiat...!? Where did Fiat go...?

HotCarNut and BEEAH like this.
  2. 82cordoba

82cordoba Member

"Dias called the planned derivatives "buzz vehicles to enhance the existing portfolio.""

joewho likes this.
  3. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

Maybe "move over Chrysler" as well.

l'm guessing the 2021 Charger Redeye is one of those Buzz/Derivatives.

Now I know how the Ford employees at St. Thomas Ontario must have felt when they were building the 70's Panther platform into the 21st century. When those old cars could no longer meet safety regulations, Ford shut the plant down.

Come on, derivatives! I got 8 more years til I can retire. Lets see what you can do.:rolleyes:

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Peugeot will have the same fate. Again, money wasted that could be spent on brands that are in need but won't get.

HotCarNut, jclick, turbonetic and 5 others like this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Introducing FIAT made sense at the time (US had skyrocketing gas prices, there was a resurgence in small cars, 500 was a blockbuster hit in Europe). It did well for a couple of years, but it didn't get enough of a foothold before conditions changed rapidly and Americans reverted to big trucks. MINI is clinging in there, Smart quit the market.

Introducing Peugeot to the USA (as Peugeot) makes no sense. French cars have all the same negative connotations as Italian cars, but without the redeeming feature of being fun to drive. There are a couple of models with potential, but those are right in the area that would see them sell better as Chryslers.

The sane thing would be to take Peugeot's larger models (3008 up) and re-clip them as Chryslers. They do this for Opel already. This fixes a hole in Chrysler's line-up, allows more units off the platform, and doesn't cost what an all-new brand would cost. Before doing that, however, they need to add bigger engines. A 1.6 litre turbo won't convince an American to buy a compact to mid-size crossover.

6. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

So given this teaser about derivatives and such, what do you think these might be?
    Christmas is coming so maybe a wish list ?of whats in the offing.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Fiat (in the USA) wasn't even a great choice at high gas prices. So many other cars offered much better gas mileage in a similar foot print.

8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Or similar gas mileage in a larger footprint.

9. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

This argument has been done to death. Larger cars get lower combined MPG from the highway cycle, which favors longer body-shapes and low aerodynamic drag; smaller cars score better on the city cycle, which favors lower mass.

But gas mileage is not the point of my argument above. When FIAT chose to enter the USA, they had momentum on their side: a product that was hugely popular in its home market, and a US buyer mood that suddenly appreciated that small-engine cars weren't just for cheapskates.

What momentum is Peugeot going to take advantage of?

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

So they deliberately killed millions of dollars in Chrysler brand equity over the years to save a few dollars during negotiations so they then could try and rebuild Chrysler? I wish for new Chrysler products, but I don't really see them any more likely after the contract than before.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And, I failed to mention the 500 is rated on premium gas in the EPA testing while the competition used regular. It was a poor choice from an economy car standpoint.

cdjr77, Adventurer55 and page2171 like this.
  12. Adventurer55

None, zero, zilch.

jclick and aldo90731 like this.
  13. Adventurer55

The 500 wasn't a miser in the US at all. Not so good mileage combined with Fiat's reputation wasn't a model for success. Peugeot had a similar reputation. Quirky, long waits for parts, etc. My former brother in law bought a new 505, he had an isuue and waited months for parts. They have no dealer network, Chrysler dealers aren't going to be fooled twice. Chrysler brand doesn't have a stellar reputation but is light years ahead in brand recognition and dealer network. Certainly, they have to know this.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

International egos get in the way. DCX was sure that Americans would fall head over heels for German engineering. FCA was convinced Americans were longing for the Fiat products sold in other countries. I'm guessing Stellantis is convinced Americans have a great pent-up demand for the PSA products.

15. Adventurer55

You would think since Tavares has worked here in a high level he would know this. Infinity has been here for years and they're in dire straits.

16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I am actually surprised how many brands are still around in the U.S. If Chinese brands get added it won't get any easier...

17. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Peugeot at least has a higher upside due to their cars not being small as hell. It's clearly gonna depend on what they bring over but even the best fiat was not that good in anyway. The biggest downfall for Peugeot will be if they can squeeze more power out of their engines. Styling will stand out which is good but the power will turn off buyers since they think they need to have an insane amount of power

page2171 and cdjr77 like this.
  18. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

According to PSA they cutt all they gas powered city cars. Can’t find the article anymore but I guess cause the 500 is on a more superior platform.

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Especially if they sell a quality product, or figure quality out pretty quickly.

20. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

This COVID thing has put a big gaping hole into the reputation of the Chinese. If Americans —and Canadians— were skeptical about buying Chinese cars before, they are even more so now.

Canada has had a long row with China simmering over Hauwei, long before Covid was even a thing. The US has become openly antagonistic to China since Covid and the “annexation” of Hong Kong, and the Chinese Communist Party has dropped all pretenses to care about anything or anyone besides itself; not even its own citizens.

Yeah, I don’t see Chinese automakers coming over any time soon.