Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB drive notes...

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Dave Z, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Regarding USB drives cutting off the ends of songs, 2013 Dodge Dart Aero with 8.4 Uconnect:

1) Shut off Gracenote. This helped a little.
    2) Updated stereo firmware. This helped not at all.
    3) Took out USB drive, ran disk-repair software, eliminated "Mac specific" files (there weren't many), and removed 2 GB of music from a 32 GB thumb drive.

This works around 80% of the time. I suspect I need to clear off more music.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I have no issues with an aftermarket Kenwood stereo, playing mp3s on a flash drive plugged into the radio's front panel port.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I didn't want to go aftermarket when I have that huge 8.4 stereo. The system has great sound, very similar to the 300C. Kenwood is the unit I would get if I went aftermarket. I think I just had too much stuff, it has only done it once since I cleared off space.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

My 2012 Challenger with the 740n radio cuts the ends off certain songs and plays excessive blank space after others (always the same ones). These are copied from USB to the hard drive in the radio.

5. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

The only thing I can suggest is that you find a song which plays all the way through and one that doesn't, replay both of them to confirm that they behave the same way each time, and then go to your PC and examine the properties of each file and see what's different.

Look at the format, encoding, bitrate, etc. Also, if you can, determine the source of the file (iTunes, ripped from CD, etc.). Finally, look at the total file size. (For better comparisons, it might be best to find several songs that do play fully and several that don't, not just one of each.)

Perhaps something will stand out? Good luck!

6. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I have thousands of songs copied as MP3 from Windows Media and they have been flawless for 2 years.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I did all my music as high-res AAC from iTunes and they were perfect on the 300C. The same music on the same brand of disk had a hard time in the Dart. I really do think it's a matter of the 300C having a larger in-stereo buffer. Overloading the USB drive is probably the problem.

Just one or two tracks lose the last few seconds. They are tracks I recorded myself and converted so it might be something about the conversion process (I think those used FeltTip Sound Studio; I had that before I discovered the free Audacity).

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

All of my music is either ripped from my CDs, .wav to .mp3 conversion with freeware, or purchased from iTunes and converted to .mp3 with another piece of freeware. All conversions were done 320-bit, 48 KHz sampling. Songs end up about 10 to 12 Mb, and you cannot distinguish the difference from the original format to the mp3.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Dave - do any songs with perhaps soft passages in the middle of them also "drop out"?

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Bob, the problem songs were taken from records. I have no idea if that's the issue.

MP3 is nice but not nearly as efficient as AAC. Nearly every system today takes AAC. I can't recall the last time I had a car that insisted on the MP3 format.

Stratuscaster, I'll have to check on that. I don't think that's the issue.

It hasn't happened on ANY song I did not record myself so it might be a peculiarity of the software I used.

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

So, if you captured from vinyl, at the end of the song when it's "quiet", the software doing the A/D conversion may have picked up noise and converted it to content, whereas a digital-to-digital conversion would see it as silent, no content, all ones or zeroes. That may determine when it writes the "end" marker to the song. Other software may filter out the noise and terminate properly.

12. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I have over 6,000 songs on a 32gb sgcard in my 2013 Dart 8.4 system. No issues like that at all. Most are mp3, but some are AAC from iTunes. I do know my radio has the latest software update. Most of my music is 128kps mp3s which were converted from FLAC rips of my cds. I have heard people having issues with ipods cutting off the last few seconds of a song when connected to the usb port though. Maybe try converting to mp3 and see if it behaves the same way. BTW- if using the latest LAME encoder for mp3, there really isn't a difference between mp3 and aac based on my experience. I spent 6 months ripping all 600+ of my cds to FLAC and spent hours converting and listening to various encoders. I'm using dbpoweramp btw, excellent software.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The end markers work on iPods and in iTunes.

Might depend on the card. This is USB, too, not SD. Seems like we have similar numbers of songs. How much empty space is on the card? I think that has a lot to do with it. (I think I have a 64GB plug, come to think of it, because - how do you fit 6,000 songs onto 32 GB? Oh, right, 128 KB/S MP3. I mostly use 256 or 392 KB/S AAC.)

I'm not going to reconvert if I can avoid it - though I probably still have the original AIFFs in which case it's not a big deal.

14. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I called Uconnect and 64gb cards are not officially supported. I tried to use one but the system did not see that whole card and it crashed on me. Not sure if this makes a difference but I use folder view to play my music. If you use the id tag categories it lags and isn't that great to search through. I have all my music ripped into folders according to artist then album. I really like using the sdcard, it's so convenient. I have an ipod too but if I connect it takes forever to sync and it will only play songs in alphabetical order when you select an album. Uconnect told me this is a known issue but they never fixed it. If you don't mind using the aux in your best bet is a Fiio X1. It's fantastic, inexpensive and has a line out. I have my whole music collection (about 11,000 songs) encoded at 256 mp3 on a 128gb sdcard in that player.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

That's true. They had a long list of what was supported. I do mind using aux in. I was considering one of those X1s to replace my soon to be antique iPod Classic 128GB at home.

The SD card is very convenient, all right (so is the USB card). The iPod connect, not so much. Most cars now have the USB option, not many have dual cards (SD+USB) which is nice since my wife and I can have different collections.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Update...

1) The problem remains as bad as ever on certain albums I recorded myself. Some songs are fine and others cut off anywhere from three seconds in to just before the end. Some play through.

2) The problem has not occurred on any other song bar one.

So I think the culprit is some issues with the encoder I used. All of the music is AAC, good and bad. I decided that rather than transcoding, I would download fresh digital files for two of those albums which are easily replaced; the records weren't in perfect shape anyway and the new files are cleaner.

I think this might be an “edge case.” The one skip on a new song is likely a USB drive or copying defect.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Status report: I swapped USB drives with the 300C and guess what? All the skipping problems are GONE. It had NOTHING to do with the AAC encoding or free space and everything to do with a bad USB stick! Same brand, same model, same size!

18. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

What brand/size?

We go through a TON of USB sticks here at work - and even a quality stick can sometimes have a few bad ones in the run.

19. AdminDave

Staff Member

I had thought it was a 64GB but it appears to be a 32, I must have downsampled a bit... !

Kingston Digital 32GB DataTraveler Micro USB 2.0 (DTMCK/32GB)

I got this because I wanted something very very small. SanDisk makes something similar for $10. I'm not really upset with Kingston... and I can probably find other uses for it.

20. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Are the formats different between the 2? Like one could be FAT32 and another FATex?