Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V10 RAM getting some due rest and rectification of Pennsylvania abuse.

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Devildodge, May 23, 2016.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, hopefully time has come to let my 99 Dodge Ram 25OO get some attention. She has been abused these last few years, and I would like to make her useable for many more.

Pennsylvania has been rough on her as rust has attacked the front of the truck. Fenders, doors, rockers are shot. Bed is in much better shape and no frame issues.

I have to replace front axle universals, the one tie rod end i didnt replace already, fix the C.A.D. and it has a stuck fan clutch.

I ordered the posi lok for the C.A.D. this evening. I also got her a black Diamond plate tool box, and ordered a pair of the new style tow mirrors. It had the brake lines and fuel pump replaced last year, and has new tires.

Along with the other repairs mentioned, I am changing all fluids, any leaking seals and gaskets, and probably do a complete tuneup.

Any thoughts on anything else to check or replace, or any advice is greatly appreciated.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The V10s have turned out to be very tough and durable engines. Body panels on the other side, do rust where you are. Let them get too far gone and they are a waste, difficult to stop and always becomes an issue if not properly taken care of. You may want to, if repair costs are too high for a shop to do the repairs, head down to the southwest and pick up a rust-free body and swap it all out. It doesn't have to be a V10 truck, just the same wheelbase, and down here you can get pretty clean and rust-free examples with lots of miles for $2500-3500, which also gives you a lot of extra spare parts, swap the whole body and keep your VIN numbers, then undercoat the heck out of it in the process of the swap and get another 20 years out of her easy.

3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I will be replacing fenders with new. Doors will be replaced with junkyard jems.

I will be keeping my doors to repair during the winter, cause they will be needed again.

The rust repair on the cab will be new welded in metal.

I am hoping to clean up the frame and get some good coating on it.

The bed will just need a few dents pulled and smoothed out. The tailgate will also get repaired with the welder.

As of right now it is just getting the quick treatment. Someday when it is time for mechanical rebuild it will be completly gone over. That is the plan anyways.

Not many V10 5 speeds and it is my favorite truck I have ever owned.

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Keep us posted Devildodge, would be good to see some pictures as you progress. The pictures I did see of your 99 2500, it seemed in good shape... but you probably took it's good side. This is a rare truck ... I've only seen one like yours in Northern Canada.

Devildodge likes this.
  5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yes with simple camera trickery, the Ole girl still seems great. Hopefully this weekend I am going to start tearing into her. I had a line on some rust free doors and fenders but not sure they are still available. The fenders are too far gone, but I plan to restore the doors as a project over the winter. My trucks are used as trucks so I am not gonna work too much on making her pretty, but I do want her to have all her metal. We recently got a 2003 2500 with a Hemi, and although it is a wonderful truck, it just isn't the same as sifting through the power with the 5 speed and low end torque of the V10 monster.

6. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, got all the parts for mechanical repairs. Got to replace fan clutch, passenger side universal, I secured my new tool box, going to put on the new towing mirrors, got all the fluids to change diffs, transmission and transfer case. Probably going to just fix the rust one more time with duct tape and voodoo, as it is inspection time and the rain just won't stop.

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Fan clutch, universal, tools to complete that replacement, mirrors, and all the fluids for the truck. Still haven't made a decision on the route of the body work

Attached Files:

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Tow mirrors are on.

Attached Files:

9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, got the fan clutch replaced. Not too bad a job, but took a while to get the nut loose.

Got the axle out real easy. Used the power stearing method to get the hub out. Works great. Got the old universal out easy peasy, and got the new one in no sweat til I went to put the last retainer in. It wasn't quite set. Beat and beat, then thought, ugh the bearings moved. Sure enough I beat them to a powder. And of course it couldn't just come back out. Had to beat the heck out if it. Got to buy another universal, and hope I can file my anger at the axle away. Buggered up the edges. And i had it so nice and clean too. Aaagghhh.

10. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Dam u-joints do that once in a while! been there , done that!

Devildodge likes this.
  11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Got it replaced and truck is back to work. Gonna take a few days off of working on it.

12. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Got the exhaust on. Dual mufflers side exit in front of rear wheel. Used flowtech raptors and 2.5" pipe. Sounds good. Very quiet compared to the no mufflers, 3 inch turn downs I had on it since last August. I have had the exhaust since November. It is nice to have a normal sounding truck again (guess I am getting old).
    At idle it sounds like a Cummins, acceleration is like a pissed off V8, and I am sure at cruise it sounds like dueling neons, but it mellows out and I can't really hear it.

So far I am satisfied with the exhaust. Low end grunt is back full power.

somber and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

15. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

16. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, haven't got much more done, and the truck is back to working, but I must say the mods I did get done are fantastic.
    The new exhaust definitely got my low end torque back, and made for just enough rumble to not have to turn the radio up.
    The tow mirrors are definitely worth their money and you won't see them up towing a ghost trailer, they are up for work and they make a great rearward view.
    Being able to use 2wd low range made parking the trailer easy, and definitely helped save some clutch.
    This Ole V10 is a perfect hauler. Rowing the gears dragging our home away from home was such a nice get away.
    Going out again this weekend to camp and hit All Truck Nationals at Carlisle.

17. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, had an interesting trip to camp for truck Carlisle. We had a wonderful time, but Mayhem and his gremlins fought us every minute. Will explain that in another post.

Truck lost its master/slave line and had to replace, luckily part was under warrenty. That is replaced and truck is back to work. Still haven't got the 4wd done. Hopefully this week.

She hasn't got the proper rest she needs but I just love driving this truck.

I did some duct tape engineering and she passed inspection again. Got to get repairing this rust. Winter is almost here to whittle it away some more.

18. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

[​IMG]

Worked our Dodge trucks today. Hauled some wood a guy had in his yard to our camp. Not that we don't have enough wood, but he only wanted 30 bucks. Got 4 truck loads. Pretty good deal

19. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I like this idea... maybe I can help my friend get his truck safety'ed

20. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah. I just keep it legal with duct tape. My fenders are shot and my doors are going. Just seen the first bubbles on the bed. Gon a run it through the winter, and then maybe I will get time to fix it, or just shine up the duct tape and get another year.