Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V10 RAM getting some due rest and rectification of Pennsylvania abuse.

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Devildodge, May 23, 2016.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, my dream world has just been completly overloaded. I now need the Ram Rebel TRX. And my V10, when it finally decides to need rebuilt, will be replaced with the 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 trucks now. Ha ha. Wow. RAM just keeps making better trucks and man am I happy.

3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

So with you on that... just hope my lotto numbers come through:D

Devildodge likes this.
  4. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Concept vehicle shown. Vehicle specifications may change.

the RAM 1500 RebelĀ® TRX will be the most powerful factory-engineered half-ton pickup.

These words are the start of the dream coming true.

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, rotated the tires. Nothing else done but driving it.

6. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD Member

Great workhorse!

Devildodge likes this.
  7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

So, through another thread on here and some thought, the 6.4 upgrade just went up another notch on the list.

Pondering a turbo on the V10 if it can be rebuilt come the day it stops. I figure, knock on wood, that would be awhile as I have seen them well into 300000 mile territory.

Wonder if, in fact, with a turbo it will take care of the altitude issue, which seems to be the only upside to a cummins, and of course some better fuel numbers. Not looking for a race truck, just a better puller and hauler.

Truck is long paid for and I figure a replacement is 48000 so got some wiggle room on finances.

Just brainstorming out loud

8. NYBo

Level III Supporter

I doubt a turbo would improve your fuel economy.

9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Driver's side spring shackle broke. It lasted 5 years longer than the passenger side.

Better trade it on a new truck.

Hopefully fix that this week if the weather cooperates. May even make myself fix that 4wd actuator.

Mother Nature has been very kind, I may be pressing my luck now

10. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

So if you do spring for a new truck with the 6.4 Hemi in it... then something to consider is what tranny comes with the deal ... do not recommend the 66RFE.. if you can get a 68RFE. I do not think there was a option for me to upgrade the tranny when I ordered my truck in late 2013 but now I wish there was. Not saying that this is a bad tranny but I drove with the Tow/Haul off in to many situations, thinking I was saving fuel and thinking that country roads wouldn't hurt my tranny. Heat will hurt this tranny fast and the temp gauge on the truck is not telling you the truth.
    I can't say enough about the 6.4 Hemi ... what an awesome engine.

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Half way through finally getting 4wd working. Broke two of the four mounting bolts on the CAD housing. Hopefully tomorrow after work I will be done.

Here is hoping I can make a run through some mud tomorrow night.

12. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I'm surprised to here you say that a V-10 isn't enough power for you. But I don't know how much weight you carry/pull. Diesel is the next step up. Be aware a diesel will feel different than a gas job. I'd test drive one [loaded] before bought it. There is a dealer in N.Y. state that deals in used southern trucks. E-bay I think.

13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Not saying the V10 isn't powerful enough. Just having had a new Cummins with 800 ft lb of torque...yeah it seems light in the pants.

But, because of having many parts issues with the new Ram it is gone and my old faithful keeps plugging on.

Unfortunately, there is but no aftermarket for the 8.0l of fun, and sadly, this wonderful motor isn't produced anymore.

Diesel, isn't and never was what I wanted.

The 6.4 is as close as I am gonna come to the beloved V10, and now that manual shift trucks are a thing of dreams (unless you get said Diesel) I just like to dream of making this rig exactly what I would buy if I could.

Rust is beginning to take over much faster than I am keeping up.

Back to the reason I bought the diesel, to give this Ole truck a rest, but she kept having to cone out of retirement to fill the void when the Cummins was a yard ornament. No fault of the truck, just bad luck and bad part distribution.

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Finaly, truck dropped into the mud and climbed right out. Posi loc is installed and worked just fine.

pt006 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  15. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Devil; "... yeah it seems light in the pants." ---------- I call that a good day !!

Maybe you could find a nice southern truck with a bad motor and swap the engine/trans/electronics of the V-10 into it. If your engine isn't knocking, a good overhaul [rings and bearings] might get you another 100,000.

Devildodge likes this.
  16. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah. I need doors and fenders in the worst way. The rest I can easily fix.

Don't get me wrong, obviously 350 hp and 800 lb ft of torque from the Cummins (which has and will continue to go up) is nothing to scoff at. But, driving this V10, essentially two 5 cylinder engines side by side, just makes me know there is so much more this engine could have done, had the brother Cummins not overshadowed it.

I just love this truck, and I can't wait to get it hooked to the trailer and into the back woods.

Got to get the spring shackle replaced and then she will be doing her job for another camping season.

17. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Devil, I did a little reading on the V-10. It was designed as a torque motor. 300 HP and 420/450 ft-lbs of torque @ 2400 rpm. And it was an advanced motor with the latest tricks. Some claim it got the same mileage as a 360.

18. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah. Mine gets 10.7 daily driving.
    Hauling everything I can put in it and attach 8.3.
    On a trip to Chrysler at Carlisle cruising mostly in 5th gear I got an avg of 16.7

I love this motor. It is great for offroading, barely need to add throttle to go past obstacles. Towing is a breeze, well in the hills of Pennsylvania (hasn't towed in the mountins of the west) and it can stretch it's legs in 5th gear quite well. And she can even pull out in 4th gear on the flat.

The engine music is quite amazing too. At low idle sounds like a loping V8. Under power it sounds like it's Brother Cummins and at speed it mellows out and buzzes along.

I just pray when she goes I can rebuild or pick up a crate engine.

She isn't a drag racer though. Maybe with an automatic, but rowing the gears she can be beat...but not by much...ha ha

19. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Devil, mine is a late 80's 4wd 318 auto non-lockup and 3.23 gears. I get ~15 mpg highway empty [less than 500 lbs] and 13 mpg rural/city. ----- So you're telling me that if I want to improve my mileage, I should drop in a V-10 ??

20. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

No, you said some people get the same mileage as a 360. I told you my mileage that I get.

Having said that. I owned a 98 1500 with a 360. It got better gas mileage overall and would surely beat the 2500 V10 in a stop light drag.
    That being said, the V10 feels like it has way more torque than it actually does and offroad the truck uses so little input from the throttle.
    The 360 is a great engine, but the V10 is built so the truck can be at its capacity and just chug along...the 360 well it has to churn.
    I have never owned a 318 magnum, but for 92 and 93 it was more powerful than the same year 360. So, all 3 of the engines are great...each one with a different purpose.
    But, in no way was I saying the 488 is the choice for mileage, unfortunately if you want mileage I have to admit, the Cummins is king.