Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V10 RAM getting some due rest and rectification of Pennsylvania abuse.

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Devildodge, May 23, 2016.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Almost lost the dear girl the other morning. Hit some black ice and the mountain almost took her. Had a van coming up the road and I managed to get past the guardrails and off the side of the road to save them and jumped 2 colverts. So far no noticeable damage, so hopefully I didn't hurt anything.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Everyone is Ok... that's good... know how you feel.. hope your truck is ok

3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Thanks, Shane. So far so good. Bad thing about warm February and March.....ICE!

4. Shane Estabrooks

Have you heard of the term Black Ice... major killer, then the winter roads we have are nothing but ice with a speed limit of 40k... or less :cool:

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah, black ice is what i hit. Others tasted the guard rail as evident by the skiff of snow that showed their tracks. I would rather have 18 inches of snow on the roads than even the thought of ice.

6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Devil, just joking about the mileage thing. Glad you and the truck made it over the culverts safely. Not sure about 18" of snow, but driving thru 6" of freshly fallen snow is kind of fun. Black ice is evil. I drove halfway up a mild incline in a RWD car and started spinning. Then stepped on the brakes. The car would not stay put, it started to slide back down the incline, gaining speed. I had zero control, I was just along for the ride. Bounced off a snowbank and a curb. Parked on a flat area, waited in a bar till I saw the sand truck go by, and headed home. Only lost a tail light. Life is good.

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Thanks. After I replied I realized you were joking. This truck has been so good to me. Literally kept me going while a brand new truck couldn't be trusted.
    I literallyget chills when I think of ice. I love winter but when it starts getting warm and the temp is around 34, I start to get nervous.
    But, I kept it on all 4 wheels and kept it out of the guard rails and the oncoming traffic.
    Thanks again.

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, the Ole Ram found itself another issue. Oil pressure sending unit had developed a leak.

Camping for Mother's day and still got to get the leaf spring shackle fixed.

Still my favorite truck. Still wish I could stop running it long enough to put some blessed TLC to it. Can't stop finding reasons to need it.

9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, got the oil issue fixed. Changed filter while I was at it. Oil pressure sender wasn't that hard, but wasn't near as easy as I thought. It was definitely about to fall apart though.

Now to do that leaf spring shackle.

10. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Got the leaf spring shakle replaced. Going camping Friday for the weekend, maybe whole week. I seriously have to find used or buy some new fenders and doors and now some bed panels. I love this truck. It hurts so bad to see the destruction of rust.

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Took the camper to get it inspected. Truck hauled it without an issue (found out I am getting old, had to keep the windows up, need to get a quieter muffler). The tow mirrors really do make it nicer, and when I got back, I used 2wd low to park it and that was pleasant to do.

My son who turns 4 Tuesday, helped me line up the trailer. I must say he did a better job than his mommy.

Loading up some wood tonight, finishing prepping the camper and tomorrow we are headed for a weekend (week) of camping.

12. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Awesome evening last night. The posi lok...yeah...well I can't get it to engage. My thumb hurts from pushing the button.

Of course it has rained since 10 am yesterday and is to continue today.

Our campsite is on a spot that has a grassy entrance and kinda runs up hill.

Here is hoping the Ole girl can keep her traction.

So disappointed, but it might be something simple.

13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, I tore the C.A.D. apart and tried to set the fork to stay in 4x4. Well that worked til I took it out of 4x4 and tried again.

Luckily, even though the rain really put it down, I was able to get the camper to our spot no problem with only 2wd...remind me again why I don't just buy a 2wd truck...and we made it back with no issue, except my power steering is leaking a little more.

Overall it was a wonderful trip.

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I am so very dissapointed with the Posi lok. First time I actually wanted it to be working and it didn't. Not real sure how a product with only a few months on the truck doesn't work.

I am going to just take the old one and make it stay in connected mode.

I can't take wanting to use 4wd and whether it be vacuum or a mechanical cable, I am sick of it not working.

15. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well, I took the posi lok apart and just made it permanently in 4wd mode. Had it without knowing if it is gonna work

16. Shane Estabrooks

Good luck with that... last time I had to deal with anything diffs it ended in disaster ... but with that said I am working on the diffs on my 51 PW (M37) so wish me luck too.

17. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Wishing you luck Shane. I could have dine this with the original equipment for the cost of nothing, but guess I now know I won't be using a posi lok ever again.

So far so good.

18. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Put a muffler back on finally in place of the one the PA alligator got. I am getting old. So much more pleasant now to drive.

I reused clamps I shouldn't have and it is a little loose, so it doesn't quite line up how I liked, but it will be fine until I see how long this one will survive.

Our superintendent traded his super duty in on a 2017 Macho powerwagon. Man did that make my day.

Took our annual hearing test...glad I put that muffler on.

19. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

So far my shade tree engineering of the C.A.D. has held up. We went camping at Bilger's Rocks and thank gosh for that. It has rained so much here lately so quickly that the ground most everywhere is a muck.

I have been to Carlilse and made several interstate runs with it and have not had any issues...been up to 85 with it and sustained speeds of 75...and nothing flew apart.

Rust, well, rust is still eating away at the doors and fenders. Truck has almost 190k on it.

Had a caliper stick on the way from camping and, well, went right through the pads. Got everything cleaned up and lubed and put some pads on.

Inspection is next month, so rotors, calipers, the rubber brake lines at the wheel, and better pads will be next on the fix list.

Probably just do some duct tape body work again. Winter and salt will be here soon enough.

Got to replace spark plugs and O2 sensors.

Headed camping for All truck Nationals. Maybe get some repair panels, or maybe some bulk duct tape.

20. Shane Estabrooks

Does the exhaust have a single out.. with a restrictive y-pipe... and the O2 sensors at the cats.

Devildodge likes this.