Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacations surrounding states from Indiana

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by desavona, Aug 23, 2017.

1. desavona

desavona Active Member

Hi guys and gals, I'm looking for recommendations on 3-4 night vacations that are no more than 10 hours drive from Indianapolis. It would be in October. My wife loves to shop and I love scenic outings and history. We've done Macinac Island, Saugatuk, Holland, South Haven, and Grand Haven. I would like to avoid Chicago lol.

Basically any of the surrounding states from Indiana. I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

2. desavona

desavona Active Member

Forgot to mention, we are considering Galena, Il. Not sure if there is enough to do there though since I don't know anyone who has been there.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

DC-93, Christopher and desavona like this.
  4. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

St. Louis and Kansas City are both excellent. They offer great food, historical landmarks, shopping, paved trails, blues and jazz music, and many other things. I would go to St. Louis just to eat at Italian restaurants in the Hill neighborhood. Kansas City has many great barbecue places.

desavona likes this.
  5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Nashville is an awesome town to visit. Lots to see and do there. Just contact the Nashville Chamber of Commerce for information. I miss it.

desavona likes this.
  6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You might consider Kentucky, and base your stay in or near Louisville. Churchill Downs has been there since the 1800s, and you can visit their museum and try your luck at simulcast racing (it looks like their last day of live racing is October 1). Here's their schedule:

Oct 2017 | | Churchill Downs Racetrack | Home of the Kentucky Derby (at https://www.churchilldowns.com/calendar/2017-10 )

Western Kentucky has some nice scenery (perhaps the rest of the state does too, but I've only been west of Covington).

Southern Missouri also has some nice scenery, once you're far enough west of the Mississippi River, and if you like the music, Branson is a good place to visit. But I've read that St. Louis has some major crime problems these days. If you base your stay there, you might want to make it one of the outer suburbs. Or you could drive as far as Springfield or Joplin. Some Route 66 sights are along the way.

desavona likes this.
  7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana/Florida Gulf Coast

desavona likes this.
  8. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Gettysburg, PA...Absolutley spectacular in October! Plenty of shopping and history.

somber, desavona and Doug D like this.
  9. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Pretty sure it's within your driving window, try the Finger Lakes in NY. Hit the wineries and breweries and the Glenn Curtiss Museum around Hammondsport, then go to Watkins Glen and take in the state park. The Corning Museum of Glass is just down the road.

desavona and Bob Lincoln like this.
  10. desavona

desavona Active Member

Thanks for the recommendations. My wife wants to go to Traverse City, so we may do that and Frankenmuth this time around. Anyone else please send your recommendations on, always nice to have good ideas for the future.

11. Scrounge

You might stop at Sleeping Bear dunes, a bit west of Traverse City. Make sure you pick a nice enough day, with little to no wind. Some state and national forests are in the area. Most of the auto museums are in or near the Detroit area. If Lansing is on your way back, you might consider the R. E. Olds museum. I like the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum in Auburn; if you visit there, try to arrive early enough to spend some time.

Christopher and desavona like this.
  12. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

If you were to head south, Bowling Green, Kentucky offers the Corvette Museum . Have never been there, but was past there recently. There are caves nearby, along with other scenic and nature-type things to see.

desavona and wolfsblood07 like this.
  13. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

You could come visit Ohio. There's the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame ("Cleveland rocks!") as well as the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Akron-Canton area). You might have time to hit them both. Plenty of places for both dining and shopping. If you have any interest in aircraft and aviation, the Air Force Museum near Wright-Patterson AFB, in the Dayton area is a must see. Seriously, there is more than you can see in just one day. And, there's a lot of military history related to the two World Wars and the post-war era, so it's not just about planes. Have been there many times over the years.

desavona, wolfsblood07 and Doug D like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It might be further than you want to drive, but Skyline Drive in VA is a beautiful drive in the late fall (mid to late October is usually the peak viewing). It might be too late to get a camping site or cabin in Shenandoah National Park (that's where Skyline Drive is), but I'm sure you get a room down in Shenandoah Valley. Luray Caverns is a popular spot - it's advertised here quite often - we are only about 2 hours from Skyline Drive. If you follow Skyline drive to its southern entrance (Near Waynesboro VA) it becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway which extends another 469 miles into North Carolina. Quite scenic.

Might have to search for it, but there is some Civil War history in that area as well. Lexington (southern part of the valley) is home to VMI and the downtown area has a very nice historic district. My wife and I visited there several years ago. If you get as far as Lexington, Bedford VA is the site of the National D-Day Memorial - well worth the price of admission. We've been there several times. It's off US 460. About 45 minutes further east is Appomottax Court House - sight of Lee's surrender to Grant. Again well worth the price of admission. At Appomottax (a National Park site) there are "actors" who act as though it is still April 1865. Kinda neat, but then again I'm a history buff.

Christopher, Devildodge and desavona like this.
  15. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My wife wants to go there...lots of shopping at the cute little stores, not sure about 'man" stuff.

16. desavona

desavona Active Member

I read that they have a blacksmith shop that you can visit, I'm interested in doing that sometime lol.

17. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

My dad and I visited the Studebaker-Packard museum in South Bend years ago. The Studebaker/Avanti factories were still standing then. The city was in the process of trying to reinvent itself. We came from NY through Ontario, Canada and drove through South-Western Michigan toward Indiana in the boarder area called Michiana.
    A friend of my dad's visited the Auburn-Cord-Duesenburg museum in Auburn, Ind more recently and sent us pictures. The art-deco and classic cars were stunningly beautiful. I think that the museum was a converted 2-story dealership?
    We drove back to NY through Ohio under Lake Eire. Very flat land. You could tell when the next town was coming up by seeing a water tower in the distance.

Scrounge, desavona and wolfsblood07 like this.
  18. Scrounge

I think it was their office building. A larger building in back may have been their production facility; I didn't have time to visit it (the main reason I went was because there was a Charger meet in their parking lot that day). On their second floor, they had some of the office equipment of the day. Calculators were mechanical then, and typewriters were manual. There was also a Locomobile in need of restoration, and a Plymouth Prowler. Of interest was a Duesenberg prototype built in 1966 with the permission of one of the heirs; it had a Chrysler 440 engine and a TorqueFlite 727 transmission, and I think it was designed by Virgil Exner. I doubt that it could have commanded a Duesenberg price, but maybe it's what Packard could have evolved into.

Traverse City has some interesting restaurants, including brewpubs named 7 Monks Taproom and The Filling Station Microbrew. The Apache Trout Grill looks good, but is a bit pricy. About halfway to the Old Mission Lighthouse, you'll find the Jolly Pumpkin Restaurant & Brewery, worth visiting for the name alone.

desavona likes this.
  19. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

And you can take a Plant Tour through the Assembly Plant across the street.

20. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Traverse City in October might be just past peak color season but still senic. Take a tour of the Vinyards, drive out Mission Point then head over to Leland along Lake Michigan.

desavona and wolfsblood07 like this.