AF: Valiant questions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valiant questions

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Yokel, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Yokel

Yokel Member

Hey! I'm new here and I'm getting into a 64 or 65 valiant 2 door and I have some questions. Are there body panels, or partial panels, floors and such available? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on suppliers? Are Dodge Dart,Barracuda body parts compatible? And what about engine swaps, etc? What works what doesn't? Many thanks in advance.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Welcome to the forum. For starters, A small block V8 does fit but is tight for the first few years but not difficult, Schumacher has motor mounts to adapt the slant siz mounts to V8. The transmission also has to change, bolt pattern is different, so keep that in mind. Floor panels for the Valiant and Barracuda should be the same, they are both A bodies, otherwise, look in the south around AZ to Texas for sheetmetal, others may know of some new panels being made, I don't and haven't heard of any.

3. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I remember at the last mopar show in Van Nuys, there was a supplier that had some sheet metal for early Barracuda's , but I have yet to see anything for Valiants.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Original engines for that vintage Valiant and Dart were 170 and 225 slant sixes, and the 273 V8 with either a 2 or 4 barrel carb. Engine parts are the same between makes. But the Dart was on a longer wheelbase than the Valiant, so most body and interior parts will be different. That body style Valiant was essentially the same from the '63 to '66 model years, though some trim was different. Some Barracuda body parts will match, but probably not the deck lid, as it was a fastback model.

I agree with Dana about where to look for body parts. You'll want them rust-free, and prices are generally more reasonable in the Southwest, depending on where you go. Phoenix had some Mopar-specific junkyards when I lived there -- I recall Benrich just off Hatcher west of 7th Ave., I think on 10th Drive. I saw a '66 Barracuda last year at the Belton, Texas Wrench-a-Part, but you have to act quick there, because they only keep vehicles for about 6 months before crushing them.

saltydog likes this.
  5. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Spend the extra $ to get as rust free example as you can.

You can use a 273 or 318 V8 but in either case I believe you will have to use the 273 exhaust manifolds to fit without adaptation of the inner fender walls.

saltydog likes this.
  6. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

There are even subframe pieces available, as well as floors, tire wells and quarters. Just do a google search for the items. I was amazed at what could be found when I built the Demon.