AF: Value? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Value?

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by saltydog, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

If you have the room, you might consider putting a carport roof next to your garage, or over your driveway.

Agreed, the 4-door sedans are rising in value, but so are the other body styles. The most recent value guide I have (published by Cars & Parts Magazine) is from 1997; it states that the 1964 Valiant 100 4-door sedan is worth $5400 in #1 condition, $3800 for #2, and $2200 for #3. The 200 values are $5700, $3900 and $2300 respectively. Their #1 condition is concours, #2 is show, and #3 is show/street. The hardtops and convertibles are worth much more; even the station wagon has a higher value. Values were almost unchanged from the 1963 through 1966 model years.

This is more than 15 years old. Online today, a few convertibles are asking $16,000 to $18,000 and hardtops just about that much. The priciest sedan was over $8000 in Illinois, but it claimed box-1 miles. Yours seems to be closing in on 300K, but so long as it's well-maintained, it should outlast all of us.

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Station wagons have become quite 'cool' in recent years...........especially those from the 1990's on down.

3. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I do have RV parking right now, however we are selling our home and I don't know if I can find a place that will have room for the car. It is tough to find home that have additional parking. In this area at least.

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Good luck with your home search. If you have the time for it, you might explore some neighborhoods, not just for parking and location, but also for whether you'll get along with the neighbors.

Some of the '60s Mopar station wagons were hardtops, which should be more collectible than those with posts. Even though SWs were usually the most expensive body styles when new, used ones were normally the cheapest for the same model years because they were often abused. They were normally family haulers, and while sun and salt are hard on a vehicle's exterior, kids are hard on the interior. As a result, SWs commonly became clunkers earlier, and often went to the junkyards and crushers. Part of their current appeal might be that one in good shape is pretty rare.

5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Please don't forget that not too long ago; many C bodies with the 440's were 'organ donors' for 1970-74 Challengers/Barracudas when upgrading from the typical 318.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  6. saltydog

Well I thought this was not going to happen,(selling the valiant) however I was offered 3k cash today. I am still not sure if I can let it go, but the offer is about the best I will see.

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Always turn down the first offer. Remember, you didn't advertise, he came to you. If he offered $3K cash, he'll come up with more, if he really wants the vehicle. After the second offer, do your Beavis & Butthead impression: "Uhhh, uhhh...." You'll be amazed at how fast he makes his third offer. If you really want to sell, the third offer is the one you should accept.

8. saltydog

Thanks, I called the guy back, however he has not gotten back to me, so he may have been blowing smoke?

I figure if it is meant to sell, it will work out just fine.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Difficult to say. Often, a car purchase is emotion-based. Could you tell if he was a Mopar man, or just looking for something old and unique that didn't require a smog test?

Given the condition of your car, I'd say it's worth more than $3K, but given that it's a 4-door sedan, it might not fetch more than $4K. If you don't sell, you still have a simple, reliable, economical, 50-year-old Mopar you can be proud of.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I think $3k is decent for a 4 door. Most people want a 2 door or convertible or even a wagon. The 4 door is at the bottom of the heap price wise.

11. saltydog

Well I had another individual look the car over and was interested, however he felt the engine knock was bad, I never really noticed it. Here is a video, this one is while in Drive.

12. saltydog

Here the video while in Neutral.

13. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

As far as 4 doors it depends a lot on the options, I have a 81 lebaron with a rare color tutone paint combination. I know the value is not high but because of this it helps the value.

Attached Files:

14. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Didn't bring the buds today, so I couldn't hear the knock. The slant sixes of that era had mechanical lifters, so perhaps that's what's making the noise. It could be a loose nut on the exhaust manifold, or a loose spark plug, or a vacuum leak. If the oil level is low enough, that could cause noise.

15. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I would definately set the valve tappets first before going around the merry go round. All my slant 6s were pretty quiet once that was done. Had one engine started rapping in a 1966 barracuda long ago. Car was super high mileage and abused bfeore we got it.

16. saltydog

Too me, it sounds normal. I have owned many slant six's and they all sound like this. I did have a 63' 170 that was very well used and had some piston slap and sever oil usage.

Back to my current car, the oil level is good(running 10w40) and the valves where just adjusted ion April.

17. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Just gave it a listen. Sounds like a normal /6 to me. It looks clean, and there's no engine movement. I'm guessing the guy who mentioned it isn't a Mopar man.

18. saltydog

Thank you, I don't think he was.

As for the engine, she runs and drive great! The only thing I would do is rebuild the carb or add a nice 2bbl setup.

19. saltydog

Might as well add, once this car sells, I will be looking for a 1960 - 1964 4 Door HT Chrysler or Plymouth. My wife really likes the 62's :eek:

20. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I personally don't care for the canted headlights on the '62 Chrysler models, but the rest of the car is pretty nice. Someone posted about a '62 barn find a few months ago, but it's close to the other coast. If she likes that body style, you might add the Dodge 880 to your shopping list. From those years, the '60 Chryslers are my favorite body style. That was the last year for the generator, though; if you buy one, you might consider changing it to an alternator.