Allpar Forums banner

Valve cover gaskets replacement

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  movinyou 
#1 ·
Good day all. Getting ready to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 99 LHS and I'm wondering how many grommets are needed for the valve cover bolts (11) came in the set and, what is used for a seal between the valve cover and oil fill tube. Can't seem to find any kind of gasket for that. Thanks for your help

#3 ·
How many bolts are in each valve cover? I think you'd just use one per bolt. Maybe they gave you an extra (if there's 5 bolts) or you're missing one (if there's 6)? IDK Just speculating.

#4 ·
Until I get the plennum off, I can't get a good count of all the bolts. The Mopar parts diagram doesn't show the bolts, never mind the grommets. It's a Felpro gasket set and only calls for 11 grommets. if you look at the breakdown, there is a listing for the spark plug tube seals. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

#5 ·
Reactions: chuzz
#6 ·
I find it interesting that fel-pro should only include 11 gaskets when there are 16 bolts. Weird? But, as it is, I did reuse the old gasket (only about 6 months old because of a cam sensor change) and now I have a whistle coming from the plenum. I've checked every vacuum line. No leaks there. But, if I unbolt the 2 brackets at the back end of the plennum, rock the plennum a bit the sound changes. Gonna put a new gasket in it tommorow. I'm just hoping that I didn't somehow crack the plennum.

#8 ·
Tracked it down to an EGR tube on the drivers side. Isn't leaking enough to trip a code but, there ain't no sneaking up on anybody with it either. So, next weekend, off with the plennum again and see what happened. had a little trouble getting it apart. Must be getting old because after reading the book a couple on pulling the valve covers, I flat forgot about those tubes. Ok everybody, this an easy one to learn from!

#9 ·
Pulled the plennum off again and low and behold, one ofe the egr tube gaskets must have gotten torn during reassembly. the bad news is, 1 of those clips that holds the tube to the plunnum went awol. I'm surprised that chrysler still stocks them. The p/n is 04591251ab. here's hoping that none of you all have to go through this yourselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.