Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Clocking (Odometer)

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by MPE426HEMI, Nov 23, 2017.

1. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

How easy/hard is it to roll back the odometer on modern computer controlled cars these days?
    I thought it would be much harder, but apparently this crime is on the rise again. Apparently there are items for sale to do just that.
    This thread is not to give instructions, so don’t post any. Just thoughts on this crime.

2. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Its just a couple of clicks on the computer if you got the right program...
    - but if I understand right many car computers store these readings so it can be seen if you have access to the computer.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  3. MPE426HEMI

Was asking because I had a person tell me somebody he knew did it to a 2011 Ram. He was asking how easy is it to do? I figured today it would be harder with info stored in the computer, but when I researched it a bit, apparently it’s easier today then ever. I would have thought everything would have been locked like some ecu’s are, from performance programming. But I guess with software involved, it can be hacked. They probably even have an app for that now, Lol!

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That's why some form of online verification of mileage is important, Carfax and the Mopar sites may list service mileage to help discern if the indicated mileage is correct.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Odometer tampering is a federal and/or state offense. May be considered fraud too. And you could be liable for civil action. In CT, whenever your car gets emissions tested, the odometer reading gets sent automatically to the motor vehicle dept. and recorded. Any dealer work is also recorded as well as the mileage. At least 2 computers in the vehicle record the mileage. This is a high risk game.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

There’s no doubt about it. I haven’t delved much into paying attention to this activity. The last I remember is the old reverse on the odo cable, Lol. That wasn’t yesterday. I figured it would be next to impossible to do today. But I should have known, if there’s a computer, there’s a hack.

7. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

There is a place in Florida, DNA speedometers, that can reset most of the speedometer head stored mileage. They require an affidavit to accompany any request of that type. I had them do a 1996 Ford F-series for me when I installed a later dash in my 1986 F350. I had to send them a signed affidavit with the trucks actual mileage.