Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video from my last show

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Powdered Toast Man, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

As you may or may not know I play guitar in a Rolling Stones tribute band. We shot some pro video at our last show and it turned out pretty well! Here's the opening number:

I'm the "Keef" (guy in the tiger print cloak)

2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Tight band!

Well done.

How long has this band been working? Have you played other genré before - or majoring in Stones' music? Does the band specialize in a particular era of Stones tunes? Or do you play the range of their charted songs from the mid-sixties onward ?

Great to see you ... and hear you -

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  3. Powdered Toast Man

Thanks!

We've been together as a band for around 7 years now. With this lineup for about 3 years. It started as a Stones cover band (no costumes but all Stones music) and then it changed to a full tribute act when we got our current lead singer. We do all eras of the Stones from 60's to modern era. Our mission statement is to create the "live experience" of the Stones. So we are doing the songs how they actually do them live.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. JavelinAMX

Although the Stones are known by Jagger's voice, the sound of the band is K.Richards driven by C.Watts' drums. Either way, it's heavy on the Keith.

This is to say, you pull it off quite well.

#4 JavelinAMX, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. JavelinAMX

Incidentally, perhaps you've seen this, perhaps not, but one time some decades back, David Bowie did a bit of an Impression of Mick Jagger.

Thought it might be useful in this context :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMMgPlkYAo

Hope you and your mates can receive this little side-bar in fun ...

6. JavelinAMX

Merry Christmas ...

Did your Video agreement include more than 'Start Me Up' ?

If so, any more you care to share?

7. Powdered Toast Man

Thanks! I'm editing the raw footage together myself. It's slow work. We aren't planning to post the entire show online but here's another one just for you Allparians!

chuzz and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  8. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

Canadians do Rock and Roll right! ;)

9. JavelinAMX

But what about the Middle or the Left ??? :D They don't neglect that, do they? <funnin' with ya >

Powdered Toast Man and pug-man like this.
  10. Powdered Toast Man

11. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I like the songs that you cover, and how you cover them, but I also like Let It Bleed, Dead Flowers, Under My Thumb, My Obsession, Hide Your Love, Silver Train, Slave, Please Go Home, You Gotta Move, and especially Star Star, among others. They may be a bit obscure for a mainstream audience, but if you could put one of them into your show, you'll probably please the Stones fans.

#11 Scrounge, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. JavelinAMX

Nicely done.

Always liked 'Street Fighting Man '

13. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

You guys got it going on, man. Love the outfits too!

14. JavelinAMX

By the way, are your backup singers separate regular band members; or are they also related to guitarists/drummer? Question also goes for the sax player.

15. Powdered Toast Man

Dead Flowers is in our repertoire. We used to do Star Star and Let It Bleed with our previous lead singer. However with the way the act is now structured there's not much time in a set list to go too far into deep tracks. There's lots I'd LOVE to do but once you put in all the "must do" hits (the songs people expect) there's only room for maybe one or two each set that are lesser known tracks. The problem is 1) picking ones to do, and 2) convincing the entire band an obscure song is worth the effort to learn and rehearse if we're only going to pull it out once a year or something like that.

16. Powdered Toast Man

One of our backup singers is considered a regular member (and she is my wife's sister). The other backup singer is a "hired gun" that we contract for specific shows. Same goes for the sax player. This was in fact the first show we had done with the sax player. We rehearsed with him once. That entire solo in Miss You was improvised on the spot by him and the guitar player.

17. Powdered Toast Man

The entire show was taped. To save money I made a deal with the photographer to give us only the raw footage (basically I brought over an external hard drive and he dropped everything on it). I've literally spent the last month editing the entire thing together myself - which includes doing a mix of the audio!

18. JavelinAMX

As deeply entrenched in the culture as the Stones are, what else can be done but simply hit the mountain peak tunes.

My favorite LP was Between the Buttons. Ruby Tuesday is still a favorite, as are Yesterday's Papers and My Obsession and a few more. But I digress.

Having been a Rock and Progressive drummer way back (and I do mean WAY back in the day), I respected Watts.

19. JavelinAMX

That's quite a job to do!

You're inspired ! :)

20. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Good to read that your audience is hearing Dead Flowers. I'll add Short And Curlies to my list, but if I had to pick just one more for your set, it would be Under My Thumb. The song is reason enough to learn how to play the xylophone.

I understand limited time for your set. There are a lot of Stones songs to choose from, and which ones to perform should be a unanimous decision among your band mates.