AF: Vintage Redmond electric motor | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Redmond electric motor

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Julian1V, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Hi all,

I am hunting for a vintage Redmond electric motor. It operates the cable pull system for the roof of my 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook convertible.

There are not many details on it but it shows as:

REDMOND 1-59 ? 6V 6x5 There are no other numbers on it and no Chrysler part numbers either. It is approximately 6” in length.

I believe that these motors may have been used in other marques as well. Has anyone ever come across one of these or better still, know of someone who has one?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Do you have the old one or is it missing? There are electric motor rebuilders if it needs more than a set of brushes, cleaning and lube.

3. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Thanks for that. Yep, I am going to have it rewound over here in Australia but I am a little worried that components like bearings, brushes and commutator may need replacing. I would love to locate another one just to have as a backup, even if the windings are burnt.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

5. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

I managed to find an old school electric motor repair shop where the 72 year old electrician completely rewound the motor for me as well as checking all of the other parts; he said the bearings were still in very good shape. Not bad for 65 years! Rugged traditional tech..that's why Voyagers 1 and 2 are still working.

In the conversation he also mentioned how the skills required to do these jobs are fading away with his generation. He said he looked for apprentices but no one was interested. It seems to me a young person could set up a very good future business for him/her self with these skills.