Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Roof on 77 LeBaron .

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by Roger G, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Roger G

Roger G Member

Hi everybody. this is my first time posting a request & would appreciate some advice. I have a 77 LeBaron Medallion with a vinyl top that is disintegrating. Am unsure whether or to replace it or remove it entirely. I don't know what the roof is like underneath, & will not remove it until I make up my mind what to do. There are several firms in the U.S that can supply a new top but I would have to find an upholsterer or someone to install it, as I think it would be beyond my abilities. If I remove it entirely & have the roof painted what happens with the trim around the back window. I would have to try to source some stainless trim,and would I still be able to use the existing rubber gasket, or would that be the same. Sorry for the length of this request. I am in Australia . This model (and my 85 Fifth Ave) were never produced or imported here by Chrysler Australia, so all the body & trim parts have to come (expensively from the U.S. Thanks Again.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I had the weathered top on the Crown replaced by a local trim shop. Vinyl roof re-upholstering is a dying art, but there are still some old-school guys who remember how to do them.
    The compound curved surfaces require expertise to prevent bunching or wrinkles. Mine turned out flawlessly and I was very pleased with the work.
    Carls Auto Seat Covers | Auto Interiors, Convertiple Tops, Motor... (at https://www.carlsautoseatcover.com/ )
    Get it evaluated and estimated first. If the upholstery technician thinks that he can strip it from the sheetmetal, paint it and still have it looking presentable, see what it would cost.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

2 door or 4 door?
    2 door is non-padded and there were more offered without vinyl tops.
    4 door has the padded vinyl top and that may mean more issues to remove.

4. Roger G

Roger G Member

5. Roger G

Roger G Member

6. Roger G

Roger G Member

7. Roger G

Roger G Member

Thanks for responding. It is a 4 door Medallion with factory vinyl top. The part of the top that surrounds the back window has a seam ,& within that seam there is padding. The trim that surrounds all this around the back window is different to the stainless trim that goes around back window on steel top cars. I don't think this will fit if I delete the vinyl,& sourcing stainless from a non vinyl cat may prove difficult.

8. Roger G

Roger G Member

Thank you for replying. You were fortunate to find a local business that was able to handle the job properly. Was the finish under the vinyl in reasonable condition when it was removed.

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

They had to use a sander to remove the old top adhesive and treat the rust spots before installing the new top.
    The surface would have required finer finishing if a coat of paint were to be applied and look good.
    The trim moldings may be meant for the vinyl top and not for a bare metal top as the vinyl tucked underneath the trim. This may be more difficult with a padded top.
    Sometimes a vinyl top will hide assembly welds or cap seams. This wasn't the case on mine.
    Looking at a non-vinyl top car like a base model F or M-body may give some ideas on what would have to be done to do away with the vinyl top.

10. Roger G

Roger G Member

I have nearly decided to send for a new ready made vinyl top & try to find someone here to fit it. Would really rather remove top altogether but unsure about finding stainless gutter & rear window trim to fit . Does anyone know if the trim off later models will fit .( Diplomat, Gran Fury M bodies). Nothing is available here , so would have to source parts from U.S or Canada.

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Nope, 77-79 were different than later models.

12. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

When the back glass in my '80 LeBaron Medallion with the padded top broke back in the fall of '80, there was only one shop in my area at the time (central NJ) certified by my insurance company to do the repair.