AF: VW Dieselgate & AN: Winterkorn out: Door open for Marchionne? | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Dieselgate & AN: Winterkorn out: Door open for Marchionne?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by tryphon, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I think you are seriously underestimating what State DOTs can do. They have VIN, model, year, and address of owner. All they need is a list of VIN's affected (will be available when recall occurs) to flag vehicles in the system.

Mike

2. Mike V.

All States are capable.

Mike

3. Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks Active Member

They may be capable, but probably not willing. The expense and time to get the info out, inform owners, deal with the aggravation etc for something that is not really their problem etc, would probably take the power of the Federal Govt to enforce and that would open a new can of worms as well. Not to mention what would be the carrot that would be taken away for non compliance. I think we underestimate most states desire to comply without reward. It will be a totally different issue if the fix is not just a flash, what if it cannot be fixed without basically scrapping the car etc. How will a state handle this, if VW doesent comply quick enough and replace the vehicle that you can now not register, the battles between the two agencies in the state that handles consumer protection, and DMV will be pitted against each other. If there was anything done at the DMV level the only practical thing I could see is to issue a no new registration and titling of the vehicle, so the vehicles eventually die off of the road when the current owners either run them into the ground and scrap them. That would also pose some issues as well. In that instance someone would have to pay the owners a depreciation fee etc for having a vehicle they could no longer sell.

4. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

By the way, any guess how this scandal affects Volkswagen AG's shares and value? Of course, the immediate effects were tremendous. Anyway, Toyota is still with us despite the issues the Japanese had with gas pedals. And so, if ratchett effect applies here, shares probably won't reach the levels before that scandal. The question is...how much will this affect the company going forward? Some would say that the damage could be minor in the long term. To conclude, this post isn't about the implicit cost such as tarnished reputation...

5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Well, we all can agree, a lot VW Diesels are being sold right now, so if you're willing "to take the risk" you could pick one up at a good price.

No one knows for a fact how it will all fall out yet. So that VW diesel you just picked at a good price may turn out to be a major hassle and you'll regret it. It may turn out to spend an afternoon at the dealership for free and be just fine, perhaps a little lower mileage and less HP, and you'll be very happy with the deal.

As far as avoiding having the recall done, and getting away with it. Again, I'm going to say unlikely, but its always possible a state or two just isn't going to bother with it, and the Fed doesn't have a vehicle or it being worth it to go after those few that aren't complying. So it might happen to a few, BUT, I think you'd be making a big mistake if you bet on it, its unlikely.

6. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Utilizing the Law of Unintended Consequences, one could arrive at the conclusion that this could usher in nationwide mandatory emissions testing as a way to "track" the non-compliant TDI's......

BASONE88, valiant67 and Mike V. like this.
  7. Mike V.

VW had lost roughly 35% of their market value.

Mike

8. Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks Active Member

I wasn't advocating not having the recall done, and they will probably l

I wasn't advocating not having it done, and chances are if its a flash, they will do it anyway the first time you take it in for service. It's a good time to pick up some relatively reliable low mileage cars at a steal, if they take the cars off the road you can still get a decent diesel for a swap into a jeep or something for half the cost of a new diesel. People are in panic mode and are selling them off cheap. I saw a sub 100k tdi jetta for sale for 2500 obo and you never see that. You can take an emissions exempt 4x4 and swap away!!!

9. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

I know. That's precisely the immediate loss. It'd depend on the method used to determine its market value. Should the decisive factor be share price, then Volkswagen is likely to recover most of its value it lost as the story had gone online. This is more towards Enron scandal than McDonnell Douglas' demise after all. To be quite honest, I don't know what could realistically topple a company like Volkswagen AG.

10. Mike V.

Again, VW will supply VIN numbers of all affected vehicles to the Federal and State governments.

I think you are still underestimating what States can do.

Mike

Medicin-Man likes this.
  11. Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks Active Member

What they CAN do and what they WILL do is two very different things...

Medicin-Man likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Texas inspection is basically a safety inspection. If you did an emissions test, it should test quite well as it would know it is being tested. To stop registration will probably require enactment of legislation specifically requiring proof of the recall (not available yet). I expect that to happen in a lot of legislatures when the next session opens.

13. Mike V.

Emissions testing existing, unrepaired cars, at this point doesn't matter anymore. I agree that the inspection is just for safety, but the paperwork for that inspection is required for registration renewal.

They could easily use that same process for this and the legislation, if necessary, would not be difficult to pass.

Mike

14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I know many towns in Maine only ask how many cylinders the engine has. I'm sure quite a few diesels have been taxed at 6 cylinder gas engine rates.:cool: I don't think it will be uncommon to see "banned" TDI's still registered and on the road is rural locations. YMMV

15. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Agreed. It would be easy at the inspection station to put the S/N into the NHTSA data base to see if it had been done before approval. Just need to add that to the VW inspection requirements.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It doesn't matter if the states don't talk to each other electronically. They just need to add in a list of VINs from the federal government. A good database administrator could do everything in a day.

TheMan likes this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

That's a thought too. It adds a lot of work vs having it come up automatically on the screen but there is already a federal database.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It does not matter what the individual states think or if they even perform emission testing. All the federal government has to do is threaten to withhold Federal transportation funds if they continue to let these cars run with excessive emissions and the states will all come into line (that's how the 55 MPH speed limit and seat belt laws became nationwide).
    Will that happen or not? I don't know - but it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

19. Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks Active Member

It would make a lot of sense to only enforce emissions standards on this one model and one engine in a state that does not enforce emission standards.....

20. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

The areas that are under Federal Clean Air mandates must do emission testing. In Washington state, only 4 counties on the west side and 1 on the east side do the EPA mandated testing (Out of compliance areas). All diesel passenger cars under 6001 lbs. are totally exempt. All diesels produced 2007 & later are exempt regardless of weight. Testing for gas powered is every three years unless title is transferred. If tested within the prior year, that test will satisfy. Honda Insight and Toyota Prius are totally exempt.
    Without legislation, few if any of these will ever get that recall done. Why lose performance and mileage when you are exempt from testing?

MoparDanno likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.