AF: W7 support ends, Get W10 freeeee | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W7 support ends, Get W10 freeeee

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by dc8flyer, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

When I tried this yesterday, the first two downloads completed, but downloading the updates hung at 46% for hours, so I shut it off. This was on an old Acer laptop that's been slow for years; the Win 10 upgrade might not help it.

2. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

If you are given the option to update just select no. You can update individual updates later as you would with W7.

I'm not sure how old you computer is but if you were operating W7 it should update to W10 if you met the minimum resource requirements. (disc space, etc..)

Another issue with older computer chips is with the Spctre and Meltdown Vulnerabilities. Older chips were provided protection with Windows software updates while newer chips had microcodes, The Windows updated software for older chips can slow down a computer considerably but you can turn off that software update and restore the chips performance.

If you are careful about your web surfing and junk mail links you don't really have to worry about these threats, especially if your Router of service provider are providing protection.

To see if your Windows version was software updated to provide these protections, you can download this software. You can then turn off the protection restoring chip capability or turn back on the protection at any time.

GRC | InSpectre   (at https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm )

I've had my Windows updated software for these protections turned off using this link's software for about a year with no issues while restoring my 10 year old intl chip's ability. Depending on how you use your computer and other software the Windows software that was installed during Windows update to address the vulnerabilities can slow a computer down considerably.

3. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

Microsoft lists the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements as:
    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS.
    • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
    • Display: 800x600

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I brought the laptop to the library, which has free Wi-Fi. It's an Aspire 5100, the processor is AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology Tl-56 with 1.80 GHz, RAM is 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable), and the System type is a 64-bit Operating System. Don't know where I'd find info on the graphics card or display. The Windows edition is Win 7 Home Premium, with a Copyright date of 2009.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Where would I find this option?

6. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

How much free (remaining) hard drive space do you have?

Downloading at the library might limit you to how much you actually download which may be the reason it stopped working.

7. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

During the installation process.

8. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

Don't worry about the display, you're OK. We need to know how much disc (hard drive) space you have left that is available. If you aren't sure then maybe you just know the overall size of your hard drive.

You can also find this information clicking on the Windows logo, and in the search box type: msinfo

msinfo32.exe will display

Just hit enter

The Systems Information page will display

Select the + sign next to Components

Then the + sign next to Storage

The click on Drives

It should display the "C" drive information. Look for Free Space and to the right it should give the the amount remaining on your drive.

#9 dc8flyer, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

It's at home now, so I'm not sure. I think there's more than 50% left on both the C and D drives, but don't remember exactly how much.

It also stopped working at the house in Michigan, at roughly the same point (46% complete during Updates).

Thanks for the other info. I'll look at it when I return home, but may be tomorrow or later before I can report.

10. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I remembered the 50% figure wrong. On the C drive, there's about 14.5 G free space, out of about 69 G total. On the D drive, there's about 39 G free space, again roughly 69 G total.

I didn't see a msinfo link when I hit the Windows logo. One of the links was Computer, which is where I found the disk space info.

11. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

There is the problem.

Your C drive is where the operating system is and there is only 14.5G remaining. For your 64bit operating system you would need at least 20G to download W10.

You can get an SSD very cheap and if you are still using the old HDD style drive an SSD will make your laptop seem new and speedy.

Are you a human? (at https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-250gb/p/N82E16820147676 )

12. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Thanks for the info. I don't know why the C drive is so full; my brother is the computer expert (he gave me this laptop years ago), so maybe I should ask him what can be deleted, but he'll probably have to see it in person. Its fan broke, and he recommended that I junk it, but I won't do so without a replacement.

13. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

After some research, I saw that the Document and Picture libraries where I'd been storing those files are on the C drive, so I transferred all of them to the D drive, and now I have 19.5 G free space. Still not enough, though. I just posted my brother to see what else can go; Downloads contains some files that I don't know if we need, but deleting them won't be enough.

14. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

When you have more than one drive in a computer, the C drive will be for the operating system and a few other programs like your anti virus software. The D drive (Data) is used to store pictures, movies, iTunes, games, etc...

You may have not noticed when downloading a program or whatever, with more than one drive, that the pop-up asking if you want to continue will show the C drive. You can select the arrow to the right of that to select the other drives you have installed in your computer.

There is the chance that you have several GB’s of backup data on the C drive as well. Anytime there is a Windows update the files to restore back to the prior version of Windows are stored. Each update restore can be close to one GB or more. There are also restore points that are saved for various reasons other than Windows updates that can be deleted as well. Just be aware that when the Windows update files are delete and for some reason you would prefer to go back you will not be able to do so. That is why it is good practice to save the complete drive (C, D, or any other drive in your computer) onto an external drive. If the internal drive goes bad due to operating corruption, virus, or mechanically, you can simply replace the backup drive with the external drive your where using for backup. This way you don’t have to reinstall anything because the backup drive is a complete Clone of the original drive.

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

No, I didn't notice. Thanks for the tip.

Okay, where would these be?

I currently don't have anything that large, only a memory stick with 8G. But I'll agree that it's a good idea. Not sure about when Win 7 was installed; the oldest files I've seen on the computer are from 2009, though I've yet to look at every folder.

My brother said that 20G seems too large, but something's stopping it, and maybe also slowing my system. After I moved the data files yesterday, it seems to boot faster, but running a program is about the same speed.

16. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

1)
    Go into Control Panel

Select System

Select System Protection

Delete all restore points or just leave the most recent restore point while deleting all older restore points.

2)
    Find Administrative Tools in W7 Menu or type Disk in the Search programs and files box

A pop up will appear named Disk Cleanup. Place a check mark in each box.

On bottom left click on Clean up system files

Then select OK

You may recover several GB doing these two things

17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

tried the update on the Microsoft site and it worked.
    Rather lengthy, various updatings, but ok now.

18. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Q: What happens to the Windows 7 in the C drive? Does it get deleted automatically?

19. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Active Member

no, the files to restore W7 remain and are several GB.

You can delete them using step 2) from my earlier post as those files are no longer needed if you are satisfied with W10.

DC-93 likes this.