AF: Wagon come back? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagon come back?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by CherokeeVision, Mar 29, 2013.

1. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/thing-really-hot-millennials-eye-station-wagons-1C9134050

I think it was a mistake for GM to decide not to bring the Chevy Cruze wagon to North America. Should Chrysler think about small wagons?

2. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Well they already make a large wagon.....V8 6 speed Manual/auto and all.

If the Chev SS sells, I guess they will bring the "Nomad" and 'El Camino" over too....

Seems crazy not too.

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/sportwagon

3. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

would that "Ute" be as pointless over here as the SSR??. The Fiat Strada is better Vehicel since it actually has Space and utility.

4. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't think that the Ute would be useless. I drove a regular-cab Nissan Hardbody for a couple of years before someone decided that they needed it more than I did, and if the Ute as essentially a modern quarter-ton regular-cab truck with some actual styling and with a low load-height were here I suspect that for a single person, especially a single guy, it'd work. If it can haul a dirtbike or a quad or the lawnmower or a few sheets of plywood or the like then it'd do for someone that isn't looking to buy for room for a family and isn't looking to use it for daily work.

Heck, even my current Hardbody, a "king cab", is essentially a two-seater. The jumpseats in the back are uselessly small for all but the smallest adults, and I don't even know if they're legal for children anymore given the modern boosterseat laws. I end up throwing my crap and moving materials back there.

5. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

Dodge Journey is a cross over between a wagon & minivan. So to me it's a wagon. Seats fold flat. Big deal if it's taller than a normal 60's-80's wagon. It's more like a 1954 dodge coronet wagon. They were tall.

Plus it's been decided, only one minivan. Only one vehicle with a sliding door. The other might as well be a station wagon. But they will call it a cross over so they will not stain it with that station wagon name.

Will Chrysler / Dodge come out with a 4cyl dart in size station wagon. Nope.
    You will have to go to Jeep for the Patriot. To me, it's just a station wagon.
    Or maybe if you want a more modern look the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The Nissan Juke's bigger cousin.
    There is always the Fiat 500L, but that's not much of a station wagon.
    Grand Cherokee & Durango are station wagons.

6. CherokeeVision

I wish Chrysler would come out with something that looks like the 1999 Citadel concept. Sliding rear doors on more of a wagon type of vehicle. I could see myself driving that. A mini van? No way. To me there is no benefit to having a 2 wheel drive people mover sitting that tall. Between the nose heavy FWD and the taller center of gravity a mini van leaves a lot to be desired in the handling and driving dynamics department. My least favorite type of vehicle to drive.

Heck I could even see the benefit of having a cargo version of the Citadel. Especially for the type of work we do. Installing fire alarms, intercom systems and data cabling you don't have any parts that are so big you need a tall roof to fit inside. And the lower roof of the Citadel would be great for hauling the ladders that we always carry. Currently using pickups with shells or full size vans. Really don't need that big of a vehicle and gas is expensive.

A cargo Citadel would be better for us than the Ram Cargo mini van.

What would be really cool would be replacing the rear side glass on the Citadel with flip up access panels to the cargo area. Bins could be made to allow access to small parts and hardware from those panels. An interlock would prevent you from opening the sliding rear doors while the access panels are open.

7. Sir Moses Wellington

Sir Moses Wellington Well-Known Member

Honestly, that's due to pricing of fuel, insurance as well as styling. Kids are realizing they can't run around in SUVs like their parents. Also, vehicles like the CTS wagon and the shooting brake options of vehicles are seriously stylish and actually appealing. Another thing is the positive outlook of Subaru Foresters and their other hatchbacks with youthful markets. I honestly have to say I've never really been an SUV kinda guy, but I sure love my a hatchback, large and small.

8. 66coronet

Sounds like you need a Chassis cab with custom rear section for what you need.
    Or take a Pacifica or Journey and have it modified to what you want at a custom shop.
    Or just take a Dodge Dakota, throw the bed out (sell it or make it into a trailer) and make that custom thing you want.
    Or Toyota Tacoma Chassis cab.

If you don't like to customize the Ram C/V and say that's big, then the Promaster Ducato chassis cab FWD is probably out of the question.
    I still see a fair amount of Dolphin motor homes around. Remove the motor home section and custom build something else in it's spot.
    Modify a Ford Transit connect?

As for ladders, I'm a big fan of the Little Giant series of ladders. One of the best buys I think I've ever made. I have the Yellow series. I think that's type 1 model 17.

9. CherokeeVision

What I'm saying is there are a lot of different businesses that do not need the height or weight carrying capacity of full size pickups and vans and that for some of those businesses even minivans aren't the ideal vehicle design. Americans have been conditioned to want everything bigger than they need to be. And because of that we have to live daily with the annoying traits of those bigger vehicles. For fire alarm installation and fire alarm inspections you aren't talking about a lot of weight and no parts that are very large. A tall roof isn't a help it is a hindrance. It has to be easier to reach, take off and put back ladders if they are on top of a lower roof than a taller one. Heck, that's one thing I love about my XJ. The low roof height that makes it so convenient to carry a ladder.

There are times and places where height isn't best. Should Chrysler build a Citadel type vehicle as a work vehicle? No. Certainly not by itself. Not enough sales to support it alone. But I could see an outfitter replacing those rear side windows with metal inserts that have a flip open section on a regular Citadel. As long as the more useful and cargo friendly sliding rear doors were on a production Citadel.

I'm just saying there are alternative uses that could help bring a return to wagons.

A used Pacifica or new Journey doesn't have the cargo friendly sliding doors.

Are the Little Giant ladders OSHA certified?

10. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

IIRC when the VE Holden Ute was coming over here as the G8 ST the specs were 1700lbs bed capacity and 3500lbs towing.

11. tomtex

tomtex Member

When one guesses at cost verses sells, some ma wonder if it's not a wast of time and money? When it's a jeep van like, the old vw bus the world wants.

12. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

That Holden looks like a toned down Magnum--oh what could have been....

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

According to their website:
    Complies with OSHA ANSI A14.2

14. 66coronet

Little Giant Type 1A Classic Multi-Use Ladder — 22-ft., Model# M22

Classic Model 17

Back when I bought mine at the Monroe Fair WA they were color coded. Yellow for 17ft and orange for 22ft. I see now they no longer do this.

Robots Play a Big Role in Keeping Little Giant Ladders Made in America

Little giant chart