AF: Wagoneer delayed - change of plans, screwup, or what? | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagoneer delayed - change of plans, screwup, or what?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 6, 2016.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer an integrated sideview convex mirror as part of my side mirrors over the blind spot light.

wtxiceman likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yup. They're so high these days, my wife's car has taken to complaining about Social Security, the price of corn, and the fact that it hasn't had a good bowel movement in over 12 hours! Ba-doom-boom! :D:p (Sorry, couldn't resist)

IMG_0201.JPG

Erik Latranyi and Ruptured Duck like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

All the H2 was, was an AM General built Tahoe playing on the Hummer H1 theme.

superduckie5000 and ScramFan like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes. I remember one of the car rags talking about the H2, saying it had less interior room than a suburban or Tahoe, and there really wasn't a point to buying one because a Suburban or Tahoe would be much more useful...unless you just had to have an H2 for the looks of the vehicle.

5. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

In all fairness, they took the Tahoe, and essentially Tralkhawk-ed the thing. Better approach and departure angles, more suspension articulation, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't leave it at that...

Bajanbuoy and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I hated the H1, H2 and H3, but I really liked the H3T other than it was way too expensive for what it was IMO.

Bajanbuoy and Ruptured Duck like this.
  7. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I think the best looking variant of the Hummer was the short-lived pickup.
    [​IMG]
    I see one every once in a blue moon, like most H2's and H3's. Otherwise I entirely agree. The H3/H2 were modified tahoes, so the "void" you speak of is the Tahoe/Silverado, and to some extent the new Colorado/Canyon, even if they don't have suv variants (yet).

ScramFan and valiant67 like this.
  8. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Given those things makes me a fan of my 2001 XJ Cherokee.

9. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

We are getting a tad bit off topic but I agree to some extent about the Hummers. The H3T is the one that I would like to get as a stop gap until the Wrangler pickup. They are still priced too high but that will change. The H4 project was interesting and may still have legs for GM if the Bronco proves to do well.
    Food for thought. Jeep has the Wrangler, Ford the Bronco. We all know the Wrangler name has history and meaning (King of its own hill). The Bronco name carries weight for Ford and if they wanted to climb the Wrangler hill could do so. GM on the other hand has it a little harder. I grew up with Blazers (72 and and 74) but I do not think that name or the Jimmy name would work well as a Wrangler fighter (if they enter the market). What I could see working is the use of the Hummer name. Just Hummer nothing more. Either as Chevy product or GMC the name does have relevant with younger buyers. Just thinking out loud.

10. suzq044

Or they could use "K5" as the name. Those who know GM know what a K5 blazer is. They could easily attempt a new Avalanche type vehicle with something like a removable top as the K5's had, just not all the way forward. Thing is, the Blazer wasn't all that small, and never was a rock climber without severe modification. To that end, neither was Bronco. Back in those days, they didn't compete with Wrangler either. They competed with the SJ Cherokee.

Can't find it now, but there was a Dealer vid' that compared the K5/Bronco to the Cherokee.. so for now you get this. lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKO70-yimI

#430 suzq044, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Ruptured Duck likes this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Most rare too.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

The SJ Wagoneers and Cherokees were my favorite vehicles of all time. Growing up, my dad had a 1979 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 4X4. I loved that thing. I remember how the vinyl bench seat would stick to the back of my legs when I went to get out when I would wear shorts. Those trucks would get stuck so easy in like an inch of snow in two wheel drive, but in four wheel drive it was a tank and virtually unstoppable. It was one of the reason why I like the first generation Durangos so much. It reminded a lot of how it drove and was offroad. I have been so geeked out since 2011 when I heard the Wagoneer was on its way back. My ex had a 2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 with the HEMI, which everyone said was at the time a modern day take on the Wagoneer. But, it was nothing like it. Knowing how this is going to be a body on frame SUV, makes me that much happier. While I love the new Durango, its not the 4X4 vehicle it once was. The Grand Cherokee was never a true sibling of the Grand Wagoneer... even with the lame duck 1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (ZJ). Something about the FSJs in J-10, J-20, Gladiator, Cherokee, Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer styling and how they drove were unique. While most people think of Jeep's as Wrangler, TJs, CJs and what not... growing up with the SJ that in the back of mind was the ultimate Jeep!

JKU12, wvutuba, suzq044 and 3 others like this.
  13. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

There may be too much baggage with the Hummer name. And it cost them a lot to wind that down. Also remember, no one really wanted to buy it, which tells you something.

I think they might be better off just using GMC.

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Oh the memories...

15. suzq044

Found what I was thinking of. It was a print ad, not a video... and blazer/Ramcharger not Bronco. Oops. lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Don't get me wrong. I love the front and rear cameras on our Disco. My wife and I LIKED using the 360 degree view when parking...oh, gee whizz wouldya lookatdat....for about 6 months. Then it became just... meh, why even bother.
    I still use the front view cam often when parking or going off road. I use the front tire views sometimes when negotiating tight curbside parking but it's rare. Of course, back up cam is what it is. I do appreciate being able to use any cam at any speed, which was a thoughtful, yet surprising feature.

I love blind spot monitoring and cross traffic detection as well.
    Like I said I love more tech than I hate. I just find myself loving the more practical tech and weeding out the frivolous tech. :)

There's still a lot of frivolous tech coming down the pipe too. LR is fiddle farting around with "wellness" and "relaxation" features. Sensors that detect your stress levels and adjust your surroundings to help you "relax"...automatic breathing techniques pop up in the infotainment screen. Seriously?
    Where are their priorities? Lol!!

Ruptured Duck and suzq044 like this.
  17. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Many of the same features that the XJ Cherokee had over its competition.

suzq044 and dmcdonald like this.
  18. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Very nice find @suzq044 !
    The Bronco in it's early years was close to the Jeeps but more so for the Jeepster and Commando's. The same for the International Scout and Scout II. You are correct in saying that the only real direct competition to the CJ line in those days would have been the Toyota Land Cruiser and not the Ford. The blazer has always been a larger vehicle so maybe GM will come up with a new name for what ever they try to do. Maybe they will just call it LUV... :D

The Green Blazer in the second add is exactly the model and color we had!

suzq044 likes this.
  19. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I grew up in SJ Wagoneers. So many trips to our cabin in the Sierras, camping, etc. Cannot wait to have this see the light of day.

The thing also saved my father's life when he was involved in a head-on collision on Highway 50 in the mountains and rolled down a ravine. The Wagoneer actually lived and he wasn't even scratched. Others weren't as lucky.

suzq044 and redriderbob like this.
  20. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

I also grew up in SJs. My father was the service manager of a large Jeep/AMC dealership. Near all of our personal vehicles and his company vehicles were different mixes of SJs from 2dr Cherokees right up to the Grand Wagoneer. Loved every one of them, though my personal favourite was a black 1981 Cherokee Laredo 4dr!!