AF: WAGONEER PORTFOLIO?? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAGONEER PORTFOLIO??

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Archknight, Sep 6, 2020.

1. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Tightening the brand can extend beyond powertrain. The people buying Altitudes were buying Laredo 10 ago, and I’m well aware FCA profited handsomely from this transition. Having a $2500 increment range of MSRP via trim also cheapens the overall brand.

Maybe they could have put some of that extra money spent on trim design into quality?

They don’t need to make Wagoneer into its own class if it actually looked like a Jeep. They are playing marketing games to cover for a bad exterior design, they panicked.

aldo90731, humdrum and freshforged like this.
  2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

God knows I’m not in their target audience, but it would be much more desirable (for me) with
    • Give it a more defined break in the side around handle height. Make it a cove or more defined shallow squared channel to provide some visual interest.
    • Get rid of the ridiculous kink in the rear panel. As others have said if you need to ad character, why not go with a traditional Jeep motive?
    • Do away with the stupid fender-within-a-fender tripe. Never made sense (why reduce the diameter of your fender?) and now it’s both old and completely useless. Not something you want on your flagship.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think they are concerned the Jeep name will not be able to compete with $100,000+ Cadillacs, Lincolns, Mercedes, BMWs and Audis. And they are right to be concerned. Those brands have more prestige, experience catering to affluent customers, and a better dealer network, that help justify those prices.

So they are willing to “spin off” Wagoneer into a sub-brand to reach higher up the price ladder. But at the end of the day, if anyone buys this thing it is because it is a Jeep.

I wouldn’t underestimate the appeal of the Jeep name among the affluent. But FCA would need to invest in backing up Grand Wagoneer with levels of attention to detail and customer service it is simply not known for.

4. Ryan

It doesn't really matter to me. I bought a Limited and added a lot of the Altitude trim pieces myself but didn't fully de-chrome it because I could tell it would going to look kind of cheap with all black pieces. I'd rather see a dark appearance package added to Limited and Overland than have Altitude and High Altitude as standalone trim levels, sort of like what Dodge does with Blacktop. Couldn't get an Altitude with ventilated seats, panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise, or the premium headlights when I bought mine and all of those were features I wasn't willing to give up.

I actually think I won't mind having chrome or silver accents on a WL if the Grand Wagoneer's appearance is any indication. Should look classy.

There are too many trim levels right now. I'd be fine with a much simpler lineup:

Laredo
    Limited (optional dark appearance)
    Trailhawk
    Deserthawk
    Overland (optional dark appearance)
    Summit

EDIT: While we're on the topic of simplifying the lineup, the Cherokee needs some attention too. Standardize Latitude Plus content on the Latitude and cut the lineup down to Latitude, Limited, Trailhawk, and bring back Overland. Then discontinue the 2.4L option to separate it from the Compass.

#44 Ryan, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    UN4GTBL, tlc and T_690 like this.
  5. BEEAH

BEEAH Well-Known Member

Jeep Grand Wagoneer Trail Track-Hawk Scat Pack Widebody Limited

And removable doors.

suzq044 and cygnus like this.
  6. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

I am a boomer in my seventies now. I always remember the Grand Wagoneer as an aspirational car. That was what we wanted to drive when we got a cottage on the lake and had the where-with-all to afford something more than a Dodge or even a Chrysler. We didn't think of it being necessarily in terms such as "sub brand" or in terms of "business models". It was a good looking, comfortable car with a good ride, enough capacity to carry what you needed, and could navigate not the best roads in the world, and get you there with a modicum of comfort.

It seemed to be much simpler then. But times change, so maybe this concept is right for these times. It is, after all, a personal thing.

UN4GTBL, 12soldier and tabutler like this.
  7. aspenandenclave12

aspenandenclave12 Active Member

For the wood paneling, they could've gone the Ford Flex way and had streaks in the metal as sort of vestigial panels.

UN4GTBL, hmk123 and suzq044 like this.
  8. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

The product will have to be on point as well as the marketing, but I know what they'll ultimately do to sell them at ground zero. "Its only $$ per month more than the grand cherokee summit!"

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

SHHHHHH!!!......You mustn't say such things.

The Ghost of Sergio might hear you and start throwing steaming hot cups of espresso and burning cigarettes at you!:p:D

Donte Lindsey and HotCarNut like this.
  10. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Bite your tongue! :p I love the way my Trailhawk looks completely blacked out. :D

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. aldo90731

Indeed. But that only goes so far. Grand Cherokee is a well established nameplate with a strong following, which helps compensate for the dismal service you are likely to get at the average Jeep dealership.

Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, all offer leasing. Meanwhile, Grand Wagoneer is going to have to conquest owners from those brands, who are used to sipping freshly made espresso in a gleaming showroom.

12. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

If you can't lease that 100K GW its a dead fish, they better get that figured out.

UN4GTBL and serpens like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Leasing in the US is incredibly important when a vehicle is used by an individual for business purposes. The tax advantage is much greater than purchasing.

They are going to have to come to market with good lease terms.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Even scarier is they don't have leasing on their trucks when a large portion of the HD's are for business purposes but I can see the trucks getting a pass as a landscaper, hot shot trucker or the like needs a truck, on the other hand, nobody needs an 8 passenger 100K luxury suv.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Part of that reason is the tax deduction for heavier vehicles is not limited as it is for lighter vehicles like cars and lighter SUVs. Without the limitations placed on the lighter vehicles, the tax treatment for purchase vs. leasing doesn't encourage leasing as strongly.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

True, and insane on behalf of the old Congress that voted this in. (It would make sense if they had a rule that the heavy trucks had to be used for their purpose the majority of the time; as it is, dentists seem to use the exemption more often than mining companies.)

12soldier likes this.
  18. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

X2, I don't like chrome either, I think chrome looks cheap.

wvutuba and HotCarNut like this.