AF: Want to Get 4.0 Engine, Pacifica Versus Town & Country | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Get 4.0 Engine, Pacifica Versus Town & Country

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Poor Paul, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Poor Paul

Poor Paul Active Member

After nearly 300K my 2001 T&C with the 3.8L motor is ready to be replaced.

From what I have read the 4.0L engine which was only available for a limited number of years looks like the engine I want in my next T&C or Pacifica.

Can anyone tell me their experience good and/or bad with this engine? Also, is there any drawback --- say, poor parts availability ---- to having one of the 4.0 engines.

Lastly, what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of going with the Pacifica rather than the full sized T&C?

All comments welcomed!

Poor Paul

2. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

The 3.3, 3.8, 3.5, and the 4.0 Liter engines have been replaced by the 3.6 Pentastar engine. The Pacifica only has the 3.6. And for a Town and Country you will have to go back to 2010 or before to get the older engines. 2011 is when they switched to the 3.6 Liter in the minivans.

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The old Pacifica had the 4.0. I would go with the T&C but I'm a van guy and Like the great utiliy and the stow&go.
    The old Pacifica is more luxery smoother and quiet so if all you want is a people mover then the pacifica i guess.

Note: the 4.0 was only used in the last year, 2007. It came with the new 6 speed automatic, is what woke it up.

#3 voiceofstl, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 4.0L is an OHC engine based on the reliable 3.5L. The 3.3L/3.8L were OHV.
    Timing belt change may be needed.
    The premium 4.0L/6-spd CS-body Pacifica had dual exhaust and were very fully loaded. Nice vehicles, although over 10 years old now.

Ian and Dave Z like this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

We had a 4.0 in our Grand Caravan SXT, loved it very much. Like said above the 3.6 is the new engine and is very awesome but if you are going to replace the 3.8 with a long block or used engine then ... yes try to get the 4.0 ... love the torque and power from this engine and if were looking for a used GC then I would be looking for the 4.0 or 3.6, the power-band from these engines are very close but the 3.6 makes better fuel mileage.