Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted - $100 REWARD - Dodge Diplomat/Plymouth Gran Fury (1982-1987)

Discussion in 'Cars Wanted' started by pyfhu, Aug 18, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

To bad but keep on looking and if I find something I will let you know.

2. pyfhu

pyfhu New Member

@Fast Eddie: That's really nice indeed. But it's not what I'm looking for. Thank you Eddie

@Scrounge: Wow! I'll check it!!!
    I'll give you report upon the result.

@geraldg: Thank you so much.

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I think scrounge might have found you the car.

awyseguy likes this.
  4. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

That is a nice one.. and to find an original, low mileage slant 6. Should be good another couple decades easy.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Any civilian M body is going to have a few weak links. Nothing that can't be upgraded, but not as easy overseas.
    Plastic coated timing gears.
    Lockup transmissions - sometimes an issue, sometimes no problems at all.
    7.25" rear axles - almost certainly on slant 6 cars, but still common on V8 cars.

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

That one in Fort Wayne looks like a cream puff. Note that it was in storage for 25 years, so the buyer might want to change all of the fluids, including and especially the gasoline. The hoses should be inspected, too. And the tires might need to be replaced.

While looking at Diplomats, I noticed that some of them have front ends that resemble Fifth Avenues:

Amcars (at http://www.lov2xlr8.no/grom/g52.html )

Note that they also have a crossing pattern on the grille. Was this a Special Edition?

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Dodge Diplomat SE, created so standalone Dodge dealers had a higher trim, higher profit, car to compete with Fifth Avenue. They had the unique front end and vinyl tops so I assume they aren't what the poster wants.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  8. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I bought a new Diplomat in 86?,maybe??
    Grey with a grey velour interior and a grey vinyl top. It was a 318 with a two barrel carb. It was the cat's meow...then. I was all of 23 at the time. Kept it two years then my Mopar loving dad bought it from me.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. pyfhu

pyfhu New Member

Hi guys

I tell you the end of this story. I searched a suitable Mopar car for three months. I got tips from you, and I found further links on craigslist and other listing sites. Several offers of them I checked too. But which looks good from a distance, often doesn't look good at all standing beside it. So I didn't find really good car for sale which fits to my plans, however I wanted to have one so much.

Since this car is needed for a project, and time is limited, deadline was end of september. So at the end I purchased a Caprice this week. Wasn't easy then, either. I know, it's heresy on this forum, but I had no other chance to start my project in time. Sorry.

I'm very thankful for everybody who gave me tips and links. It was a good feeling to have your support. My best wishes attend you, guys.
    THANK YOU

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  10. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Cool. Would you care to share details of that experience? Did they try to pressure you into buying the more "mainstream" Aries or 600?

11. dodgeismycar

Not that I remember. The car was in the showroom and at that time the economy was not that great. I came to the dealer with my friend who feel in love with a Daytona turbo. I was married and he was not.
    My dad kept the Diplomat until he passed in '95. It was immaculate when I sold it to another Mopar fan from Binghamton,NY.
    I would have kept it but I had a new LHS which was head and shoulders better that Diplomat.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  12. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

That's awesome and a nice twist on the usual scenario with these old school rear drive sedans. In this case the father inherited it from his 20-something son, instead of the other way around.
    I've found that dealerships tend to push certain models over others.
    By the way what did your wife think of your new '86 Diplomat when she 1st saw it?

13. dodgeismycar

14. dodgeismycar

She was shocked to say the least. At the time she said that looks like something your dad would buy. From that point on, she required the final say on any car that was bought.
    Well, that was until I bought my Challenger!!
    She does like it though.
    Thanks for asking.

wolfsblood07 likes this.