Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warren Johnson hinting that he wants to run a Mopar?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by EVOL, Dec 9, 2017.

1. prowler

prowler Member

Well, I found that pretty startling. You can now run any engine, from different manufactures in your car! Are you kidding me? That's NHRA's way of trying to even things out? That's one of stupidest rule changes I've ever heard of. In the first place a Mopar with a GM engine in it would be absolutely ridiculous. Why bother when you could just run it in a GM bodied car. Chrysler has two problems. First, we all know the short comings regarding the head design of the Hemi and how the move to FI hurt them. Second, what body are they going to use? The Dart has just about had it in terms of availability. So that leaves them with the Challenger. Probably too big unless it's chopped up like they've done with the Camaro. The Dodge pro-stock program is going no where until they address the engine issue. AJ got pretty close towards the end of the season but never got as low as a couple of the top teams. Next season is going to bring a lot more of the GM engines et wise, to be competitive. Until Dodge gets new heads and probably blocks, pro-stock is dead with them. But I would rather see that than a GM engine in a Mopar.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Amen, brother.

A "Mopar" powered by a GM motor is an IMPOSTER!

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I had to listen to it 3 times to absorb what he was saying. I couldn't believe it. After ruminating on it overnight and discussing it with some of my drag racing buddies, I've concluded that he is actually trying to make a pitch to Mopar for funding for an NHRA Pro Stock program. His statement that the Mopar P/S Hemi could ultimately be the predominant PS engine under the new rules defies everything that AJ & Roy Johnson, McGahaa, and others with recent experience working on the Mopar PS motors have been saying. He also thinks that (depending on year) a Mopar body could be made more competitive than the current Camaro in PS.

I also was stunned to hear him refer to the current Camaro "looking like the South End of a Horse going North" which I couldn't agree with more - just amazed to hear it from "Mr GM Pro Stock" himself.

Hey guys...........if you are a current or former NHRA Pro Stock follower, you HAVE TO listen to this interview (totals less than 7 minutes). I'm interested in what you all make of it.

#4 Beentherebefore, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    multimopes and Volunteer like this.
  4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

To me the interview looked “rehearsed”.

By that, I mean that it sounded like NHRA trying to generate noise artificially, trying to get Mopar money back into the class.

It did not seem all that genuine to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see (true) Mopars back in Pro Stock, but from everything I can see, Pro Stock is a sinking ship, and these rules changes do little to nothing to fix it.

Sorry for being a negative Nellie. That’s just the way I see it.

I would encourage Mopar to continue what they are doing now. Investing in the stock/street stuff where lots more is happenin, rather than help prop up a Camaro only class.

multimopes and caine440 like this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

There's "investing" and then there's INVESTING. I just posted this on the NHRA historical thread before I saw your comment so I'll post it here too as it is pertinent to stock/street stuff. This is a 1964 photo of 17 Dodge "doorslammers" taken at U.S. 30 dragstrip in Gary, Indiana - most with at least some factory support. There were plenty more that didn't participate in this particular event. Plymouth had a similar amount of newsmaking "doorslammers". This is what all out factory support of stock/street stuff looks like if you are serious. If/when this type of Mopar tidal wave shows up at the nation's dragstrips, few will notice or care that Mopar is not participating in Pro Stock.

Dodge super stockers (17) photo shoot @ US 30 in 1964.jpg

6. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

first,wj is and will always be a gm loving POS. he is trolling,he knows pro stock is over...

pro STOCK..we all know what stock means..NHRA obviously does not[no surprise]

7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

MOPAR FTW!!!!!!!

8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

From what I see, Pro/Stock itself changed.

The fan’s choices did not.

In other words, and I may be wrong, but I belive ProStock evolved itself out from under what the fans wanted to see.

What I want to see, is true doorslammers. Essentially, a body-in-white, Class. A Stock chassis/body, with pretty much everything else ALL OUT, and normally aspirated.

I appreciated the super techno engines, and super advanced nature of the class, but they pretty much lost me when they went with what amounts to Funny Car bodies.

Volunteer likes this.
  9. Edsfudd

Edsfudd Member

10. Edsfudd

Edsfudd Member

What really is upsetting is NHRA press release.. We discussed this with manufacturers and there on board. REALLY? GM is OK with putting any other manufacturers engine in there car? Dodge IS OK with that, FORD? or ANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS?? I have a hard time believing ANY MANUFACTURER is OK with that. How do you win a Manufacturers Championship? Is it split between body and Engine? Can you honestly say your OK with your favorite Brand running a engine that's not?? I know for me I'm NOT ok with that I'm a MOPAR GUY you don't cross a Mopar with ANYTHING. If it means No Dodge in NHRA for 2018 I'm ok with that I won't sell out. Ever.

11. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Total BS and I won't support it! All Mopar or No car!

caine440, hemirunner426 and Smitman like this.
  12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Ask Ricky Johnson what happens when you run a non Mopar engine in your Mopar.

...like a hot %#*>€¥£ rock!!!

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

My guess is that the only real "OK" came from GM, their knowing that almost 100% of the motors that will be run will be theirs. Ford and Mopar, if truly consulted at all, probably just nodded OK since they are not putting any $$$ into NHRA PS anyway and might think that a few uninformed spectators might actually believe that they are seeing a real Ford or Dodge racing. In the event that a "Ford" or "Dodge" actually wins, the real embarrassment will come when the fans of those brands realize that they can't really compete without a "Brand C" motor under the hood and GM's performance reputation will just be enhanced.

Smitman likes this.
  14. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

I cant get my head around some of the bs these guys are trying to sell...... if nhra trully wanted mopar or ford in pro stock they would have changed the rules to favour them as well. Eg allow a mopar to run any configutation other than a hemi and drop that ridiculles rpm limit.

caine440 likes this.
  15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They seem to believe that most PS fans are "driver oriented", not "brand oriented". We are going to find out real soon how "driver oriented" the PS fans are. I, for one, will be boycotting their TV and media coverage of Pro Stock racing and I have told them so (been an NHRA member for over 50 years now) on their members' website.

16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Pro Stock (for all practical purposes) is dead. They are a Camaro only class. That is the way Chevrolet and the NHRA want it. All of the rules changes in the past few years reinforce that.

Ford moved on, Mopar moved on.

Maybe they can get Toyota to run a Camry bodied Rat Motor.

caine440 and hemirunner426 like this.
  17. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

I dont believe a motor sport fan goes to the drags or any event involving motor racing just to cheer on a driver. Perception is in my oppinion just hot air NASCAR and now NHRA are slowly finding that out with declining ticket sales.

GaryS likes this.
  18. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

- - - and, how about going back to carbs? - and the awesome huge intake scoops? The way things are going now, we (they) may as well add NITROUS and then Super-Chargers, etc.
    Of course we already have those - and more - (Pro-Mods) - which do have (competitive) Mopars.

What would the STOCK and SUPER-STOCK classes be like, if car bodies had to be current? Pro-Stock should also be allowed to use older bodies - ie: (A-body) Darts, Dusters, etc. - even Neons!

Just not enough (serious) thoughts going into NHRA's rules and decisions. We need to keep Pro-Stock competitive for ALL North-American brands - like it was (up to 35 years ago). (sigh)

Oh, and here's a tid-bit to ponder. With all the hype and technical info that came out of the decision which saw Jeg and Erica switch from Darts to Camaros, when all was said and done, it still took to the last race of the season for (Jeg) to pass A.J. in the points. For the previous few races it was Erica, then A.J. then Jeg (in that order).

This is truly a testament to the talent, training and tenacity of the J & J Racing team - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"damn the rule changes"

I for one feel that something 'good' will come out of all this - even before we are comfortably into the New Year.

19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

ProStock is dead.

NHRA knows it. Yet is seems they have no idea how to get Mopar and Ford money back into the class (while also keeping Chevy in the winner’s circle).

caine440 and GaryS like this.