AF: We aré not the fastest anymore. | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We aré not the fastest anymore.

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Mr.Source, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Are we talking about a road course? If so, I thought everyone said the challenger was never a contender.

Is 11.4 in the quarter the time they ran? Or is it 10 something.

And even then...did they beat 9.65? Very confused.

2. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

The suspension on the Demon/1320 is incredibly different, especially at the rear. It’s designed to allow weight transfer rearward significantly to maximize traction. While that is great at the drag strip, it would be awful around corners on the track.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  3. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Cars.com Managed to get Dodges Claim of 10.8 for the Red eye..... Thats not Train Lengths to me. and it really comes down to Tires. GT500 wears 315's right? IF Dodge was to use the Vipers brand of Tire (forgot the name?) in 305's it could match it. those are stickier than the Pirelli's

tlc and wtxiceman like this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

As I'm aware competitors are not making muscle car. They are making pony cars. Of course that muscle will weigh more.

Chebby7, Tony K, DC-93 and 3 others like this.
  5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

LOL! Mustang is a 2 seater. Well, maybe 3 if the guy in back sits sideways.
    Challenger rear seat fits me and I'm 6'1". But, I do prefer driving instead. :cool:

MoparJoe, AvengerGuy, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  6. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Yeah...what am I missing as well? 11.4 and 11.5? Lol. Ill stick with my trackhawk that ran 11.4 at clay city ky...then i stopped and got 10 bags of mulch at lowes...lol

Chebby7, danbek, Tony K and 5 others like this.
  7. joewho

joewho Active Member

The ford also has to be shipped out to Shelby to attain these numbers where the challenger is built at the plant and is a real factory built hot rod.

8. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Um...no. Ford hasn’t shipped anything out to Shelby in years for the factory Shelby program. They do still ship GTs to Shelby American for Shelby American’s cars, but the GT350 and GT500 roll off the line at Flat Rock.

Zagnut27, joewho and TheViking like this.
  9. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Sitting here wondering how many bags of mulch I can fit in the Challenger with the seats down. Not that I need to with a Grand Cherokee.

HotCarNut and tlc like this.
  10. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

My charger fits 16. But that was using the front passenger seat too

HotCarNut, Tony K and wtxiceman like this.
  11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Must be small bags of mulch. My '06 Dodge Ram SLT Short Bed barely held 25 bags in the bed.

Tony K, sickboy and Zagnut27 like this.
  12. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Ironic because if today's Challenger 392 et al was available in the 1960's; it would've been a de facto muscle car in being a two door, having a 380+ CID V8, as well as comparable wheelbases (116"-117"), to a Super Bee/Road Runner/R/T/GTX. :)

13. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The early challengers were built on the b body platform, they were big then too. Never really were a pony car. They were a muscle car, just like today.

Tony K likes this.
  14. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Standard 2cubic feet. Did you fill up the back seat and front passenger seat?
    Mind you this is my utility/winter beater/ spare car situation. I don’t recommend that you do it. The smell of mulch tends to linger, and it’s best to clean leaks before you dye the leather....

Tony K likes this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Ah. I was loading bags that were 3 or 4 cubic feet.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

No, they weren't... they were built on a new E-body platform that combined parts of the A and B. Smaller than any B-body. Chargers were B-bodies.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Everyone said that, but one of the glossies ran them on a road course and found they did very well anyway. Not the Demon but the regular Hellcats.

Devildodge and Tony K like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

You’ve got yourself a CUV...Charger Utility Vehicle. :)

I didn’t mind hauling mulch in the back of my Liberty. It sure smelled a whole heckuva lot better than the dogs. :D

Doug D and sickboy like this.
  19. WXman

WXman Active Member

The GT500 news went out the window when GM dropped that C8 Corvette at $59,995 starting MSRP. The C8 with minor options will smoke every domestic car on the market in media testing later this year, and will do it for less money.

So, at the end of the day, I'd say the GT500 will trail Hellkitten and C8 in sales by a wide margin.

20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Bottom line is, all three cars can be bought from a dealership, whether it was built outside the factory assembly line or not, so that is not a disqualification. The Mustang is indeed faster, one can yell tires, tires, tires, all day long, it's still faster. Weight is an issue and always has been for Mopars, they are just built a little bit sturdier, which I don't have a problem with, but in this day and age, and with the technology of stronger and lighter, well, time to take a little bit of that knowledge and make them about 400 lbs lighter than they are now, THEN we can see if the numbers still stand up.

wtxiceman likes this.