Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird issue sometimes

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by 88horizon5speed, May 4, 2014.

1. 88horizon5speed

Ok so when my car (5 speed) is parked for a few weeks un driven it does this weird thing when I go to move the first time. So I always leave my car parked in 1st gear. When I start my car I put it in neutral and then first and go to pull out and it wont move at first it will stay put but wil be trying to move as if theres a brick wall against the front bumper. I put it in reverse and back up a foot normally and then put it in first and it goes out normally and drives normally after that.

Does anybody have any ideas? this is the only symptom, driving is flawless. I thought maybe CV's but we checked them and greased them when I bought the car in July 2013 and they were normal. Also I dont think its them because then driving and turning theres no clunking or noises

thank you

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Do you use the parking brake and does the car 'squat' in the back when trying to start out? If sitting for awhile, the front and/or rear brakes can stick (rust) on in damp weather.
    Have you tried rolling the car from a stop when this happens before starting out?

3. 88horizon5speed

the car does squat and the front comes up a bit when trying to start out. and I do use the parking brake and have noticed that there is considerable rust on the brakes lol. If I try to keep going forward when it does this it kind of breaks forward and I hear a loud and quick crunch kind of like I ran over a glass bottle and then its fine after that. if I go into reverse when it doesnt move it will go back and then it goes into first and moves normally. I have never tried to push it when it does this mostly because this doesnt always happen. and right now at college I dont drive daily, mostly once every week or two. I will be going home on wednesday and I will be driving everyday the whole summer for internship/work

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

There are two things that freeze up when the car sits for a period of time.

First is that the brake rotors and drums rust,and the pads bind to them. That sounds like what you are experiencing. Driving and stopping a few times will scrape off that rust.

What I experience is the pressure fingers of the clutch (I believe) binding to the clutch. When I try to start the car in first gear with clutch in, it wants to leap forward. So I put it in neutral and then it cannot be forced into any gear with the engine running. I have to shut it off, put it in gear and start it again, popping the clutch to break it loose. That doesn't sound like what you describe, because you don't report it leaping in gear or refusing to go into gear with the engine running.

5. 88horizon5speed

ok so what your saying is that this isnt something that I should be worried about? Its just normal after sitting in damp weather for a week or two undriven?

Also I believe I have an original radiator still in my car. It isnt leaking air in and isnt leaking coolant quick, but under neath the bottom of both corners are a drip hanging on. almost like in a steam room sauna on the ceiling there are drops that dont actually fall but just cling on there. Should I replace my radiator or is it still good. I mean its not causing any cooling issues but with summer coming up maybe its a good idea?

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The brakes are not an issue.

I'd replace that radiator. If it's weeping, it will fail within about a year or less. They're under $100. And the fins might have started flaking off, which reduces cooling.

7. 88horizon5speed

ok thats what I was thinking, on rock auto the cheapest is 169, whered you find less than 100? or did you mean less than 200?

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The real cheapo ones at Autozone and other places are under $100. I paid $180 for a MoPar one.

9. 88horizon5speed

are they any good for that price? how long do you think theyll last in comparison to the original lasting 26 years?

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I prefer to use the better brand ones. The problem I had with the cheap ones was that they didn't even fit.

11. 88horizon5speed

from past experience do you know of a specific brand and model you know will fit in this application?

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I've only had Daytonas, but I bought the Mopar brand the last two times, because GDI did not fit. The bolt holes didn't quite line up last time, and the time before that, the flange was too thick for the flange clip for the mounting bolts. Autozone and NAPA both had the same radiator that did not fit, and they wanted $182. Dealer fit and was $142. But the most recent dealer radiator was $230 last August.

13. 88horizon5speed

ok thanks for the info

14. 88horizon5speed

When I move my car for the first time it still randomly has the issue of not moving. It just bothers me, its like if you know what I mean, when a big muscle car revvs its engine and the front of the car kind of twists down on the left side of the hood and then right. Its only when I put into 1st to go forward. If i go into reverse it will reverse then go forward without problem. And again it doesnt do this everytime I go to move from being parked. could it just be the parking break is stuck? but its wierd because it goes backward fine but forward will just not move like im against a brick wall.

15. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Parking brakes are normally not as effective in reverse so that might explain things.
    Why not try not using the parking brake next time??

Thanks
    Randy

floridaman2013 likes this.
  16. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Better pull the rear drums and have a look. There could be a shoe hardware rust out/breakage problem and the cables or shoe levers may be sticking on.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  17. cadman777

cadman777 Active Member

I've seen that problem on other cars, esp. VW Rabbits and older VW's.
    Also seen it on cars with rear drum brakes from the 60's.
    Just like was said above: brake shoes bind to the brake drum due to moisture and rust.
    If you force it forward, you could mess-up brake parts inside the drum area, b/c you will be shove-rotating them forward more than they're supposed to go.
    That's why you hear that crunching sound.
    Sometimes I have heard a loud 'twanging' sound, which is the retention springs snapping back.
    You could also break the pins that hold the brakes to the backing plate.
    So going backwards a tiny bit to break-free the shoes is a good practice when this happens.