AF: What a joke | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a joke

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

The quality on the Journey is the worst I've ever seen out of a Mopar vehicle. If you've seen me post about my Journey in the past you'll know it's been a nightmare. Here's the latest. It's relatively minor but speaks to the parts and pieces used on these vehicles.

This previously happened to my friend's 2016 Journey so I knew what was happening the moment I noticed it on mine. The washer nozzle connector under the hood broke off. The sprayer heads that mount on the hood have a plastic male collar that the rubber hose pushes onto underneath the hood. This plastic just snapped off on its own with absolutely no trauma or impact to the hose or the hood. (the hood was never even opened). And the kicker is when I opened the hood to investigate, I checked the second nozzle and the moment I touched it, that one broke off in my hand.

I took a pair of needle nose pliers to try and pull the broken end out of the rubber hose so that I could reattach it when I get new nozzles but the plastic is so brittle it was literally crumbling into little bits like a cookie. I have never in my life seen plastic deteriorate like this. And this is plastic that's UNDER the hood - so not exposed to UV or other elements that can degrade it.

I checked online and Mopar is charging $35 a piece for these garbage parts. I ordered a pair of Dorman branded ones off Amazon and they get here in a day or so.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Other vehicles have also had the hood-mounted plastic washer nozzles break even when equipped with the fiber insulating hood pad, not just Chrysler.
    It is due to the underhood temperatures which soar after shutting the engine down (heat soak).
    All underhood plastic and rubber parts can get stressed by heat over the years.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, I had similar issues with our 2010 Journey SXT. Imperial is correct. The plastic nozzles get heat soaked from the engine heat and I suspect from the sun. It didn't help that our Journey was black and our climate is much hotter. Ended up paying $20 USD each for the nozzles from the dealer.

I also had the Y connector crack where the heater hose splits to go to the rear of the vehicle for rear heating. Now that was costly. Over $800 in parts and labor. $214 for the assembly by itself. Once again a plastic part that simply got heat soaked from the engine. It probably should have been a bronze part.

The washer nozzles for my '06 Ram 1500 are located on the windshield wiper cowl and have never needed replacement.

4. Powdered Toast Man

I've never seen this happen on any other vehicle before. And like I said, same thing happened to my friend's Journey and his is a 2016. And it happened in 2019. So 3 years for the plastic to disintegrate? That's par for the course with the Journey. Everything on this vehicle was under engineered. From power steering lines that can't handle a winter to brake rotors warping because they're not large enough to handle the vehicle's weight.

5. Powdered Toast Man

Well, I got my Dorman replacements in the mail and they fit and work just fine. The spray pattern isn't identical to OEM but close enough until we are able to get rid of this vehicle. In order to get the broken half of the nipple out of the rubber tubing I used a combination of screwdriver and needle nose pliers to crush up the old plastic stuck in there. Once done I it poured out of the rubber tube like dust.

6. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Was there not enough slack in the hose to just cut it off and slide the "new" hose onto the nipple?

7. Powdered Toast Man

Nope. In fact the hoses are plastic. There's a rubber elbow connector that joins the nozzle tip to the actual fluid line.

8. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Wow! They're getting cheaper all the time, aren't they?

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not surprising. They used the same cheap plastic lines in the K cars for the various vacuum lines. Same result - over time the plastic was baked by the heat of the engine and they would crack.

I believe I ended up replacing portions of the washer plastic lines in our Journey. Just touching them caused them to crack and fall apart.

10. Powdered Toast Man

That's EXACTLY what happened with the nozzles. One broke itself and when I went to look at the other to see how it was connected it snapped off when I put the tip of my finger on it. The plastic was the consistency of an crumbly cookie.

The whole vehicle has been under engineered this way. When I had it in the shop earlier this summer, my long time mechanic actually said to me, "I'd sell this vehicle soon if I were you."