AF: What brand is your preference for motor oil? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What brand is your preference for motor oil?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by TommyDodge, Apr 24, 2020.

1. TommyDodge

TommyDodge Well-Known Member

Since buying a newer vehicle than my 1997 Dodge Ram (Lady friend bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport) and having put enough miles in a month to change oil a second time (I change oil at 2,000 miles) I have found a new way of marketing oil, at least to me it is new. I see now that oil is full synthetic, partial synthetic, and also the oil I use in the Dodge truck, the "regular or classic" which I have been using for 50 years since getting my first license in 1968. I found out from the people that had the Jeep last that they used 5w20 synthetic oil. I have been using Valvoline since my dad's friend retired from the service station business 40 years ago. We put Valvoline partial synthetic 5w20 in the Patriot, and have been getting around 25mpg on trips moving the lady friend's belongings. I would be interested to have others tell me what they use and what the odometer reading is on their vehicles. Thanks in advance! TommyDodge

2. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Whatever's on sale as long as it has the correct API rating. I just bought a lot of NAPA oil on their April specials and took advantage of free shipping over $50.

Scrounge, TommyDodge and Doug D like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Count me along with 71Charger_fan. I generally purchase whatever is on sale - Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Castrol, etc. I generally don't buy the generic brands. Recently found out Walmart stocks MoPar oil filters. I have used Purolater, Wix and NAPA Gold/Silver.

I've always used conventional oil in my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi (269,500 miles), however the '14 Equinox we acquired 15 months ago uses synthetic.

Scrounge, TommyDodge and tomit like this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You should use the owners manual's recommendations. An API 'SN' certified 5W-20 motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395. Synthetics are a personal choice, but I prefer them.
    Valvoline and Pennzoil are the preferred suppliers to FCA dealership bulk oil tanks. Read the label on the bottle.
    I also prefer Mopar OEM oil filters. They can be purchased quite reasonably online or at some parts store chains. Dealer prices will vary.
    The oil fill should last much longer than 2000 miles. Oil change intervals performed at the Oilminder display coming on is quite acceptable.

5. 71Charger_fan

My current oil inventory. If Pennzoil Platinum is on sale, I try and use that in the Grand Cherokee for the MDS system as that's what the dealers seem to be using lately. Otherwise, it's usually the NAPA full synthetic as they run great oil deals a lot. For the '55, I generally use a high-mileage formula.
    phpkLzxuRPM.jpg

Scrounge and TommyDodge like this.
  6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Over the past 40 years, I've used everything from Quaker State to Pennzoil to Mobil 1 to Havoline to Arco Graphite.

The most important thing is using the correct viscosity, and if you are under warranty, an oil that meets the MS-6395 Chrysler spec. Mobil 1 full synthetic, while a great oil, does not, although I've had great luck with it for 25 years.
    The dealers use Pennzoil conventional unless the engine requires synthetic for the warranty. Most recently I've been using Pennzoil full synthetic with Mopar filters, which are now at Walmart for $10.

7. 71Charger_fan

Costco also carries house brand Kirkland full synthetic oil that meets DEXOS Gen2 requirements. However, they don't yet sell it in a viscosity that I use (except in the Corvette and that's such a PITA to change oil I let the dealer do it) so I haven't bought any of that yet.

TommyDodge and link3721 like this.
  8. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

My 1988 Dakota engine was rebuilt at 385,000 miles and now has 411,000 miles on it.

Before the rebuild, I was running Rotella T4 15W40 (due to it being an oil burner and leaker); after the rebuild, I've been running the Rotella Gas 5W30.

Last tank of gas got 17.58 MPG in town and highway mixed; and I've taken to starting the truck and (since I FINALLY got the idle speed controller set by the book!) waiting for the idle to drop from near 2500 RPM (book has me setting it to 2550 after conditioning and with the motor hot) to closer to 1000 RPM before I shift into D or R.

I also run Motorcraft FL-300A filters (both on the Dakota 3.9 and the Cougar 5.0), since I can buy them in bulk.

To make a decision - if I were you, I'd check with "BobIsTheOilGuy" (bobistheoilguy.com) who also ranks on availability for recommendations; i.e., if HammeredYakPoop in 5W30 is the ideal oil, but is only available at the top of Mt. Everest, well, PureedDogCrap at 5W30 everywhere in the country is 95% of HYP but is available everywhere - go with PDC not HYP. (Names made up to avoid confusion.)

RwP

Tony K, TommyDodge and Dave Z like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I use synthetic and since the changes can be done one per year using Oilminder (roughly 10,000 miles), I figure the fewer changes pay for the better oil. Dart requires synthetic regardless.

Tony K and TommyDodge like this.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

I go at the very least by what the owners manual recommends right API rating and right Chrysler MS spec too. I personally use synthetic but I have it changed at my dealer who uses Pennzoil Platinum (which is one of the oils that meets current Chrysler MS specs) You can also wait till the oil change indicator comes on, or I think 6k mils if the 2.4 for 2012 is the same as 08. I mean I wait for mine to come on in my cherokee and that has gotten me up to 7K or 8k or (about 6 or 7 months) and I feel perfectly fine with that as the indicators in the vehicles are calibrated to use the factory spec oil (in the case of my caliber and cherokee conventional) Unless you like throwing money "down the drain" there is no reason to change your oil at 2k miles anymore even conventional can go way more than that. Hell in my cherokee jeep says to use the oil life indicator but just to not exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles (or 350 hours of run time) if you are not prompted and that is on plain old conventional in the case of the 3.2.

Dave Z and TommyDodge like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

You must not put many miles on if 10k is the 12 month mark for you. Mine would also probably be longer then about my typical 6-7k if not for the fact I periodically do that the Trailhawk off roading up the sides of mountains. (AKA jeep things) and that often includes going through one of the mountain passes here to get where I am going, or to my family trailer (where I usually take on of the two passes closet to me depending on where I am meeting or how scening the drive I want, with them being at the highest is washington pass SR20 5,477 ft the middle ground Stevens Pass US2 4,062 ft and lower ground Snoqualmie Pass I-90 2,762 ft but the later is only if I am going to south eastern WA for off road trips with my Jeep Club as that one requirst driving down towards seattle then hopping I-405 behind lake WA and then onto I-90)

TommyDodge likes this.
  12. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I use only the correct grade Pennzoil product because that's what FCA uses in their million mile engine durability testing programs on their engines.
    It's the factory fill, too.
    (with Mopar filters, of course. Same reason as above...)

Dave Z, AvengerGuy and TommyDodge like this.
  13. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I just saw that Costco sells that now. $30 for two 5 qt jugs of full synthetic! I'd use it if it was Chrysler MS certified.

TommyDodge likes this.
  14. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

In my 09 Patriot I've used full synthetic for it's life (127k miles), 5w-20 at first, then started using 0w-20 for the additional cold start performance. No engine issues.

In the 13 Caravan, mostly been full synthetic dealer oil changes, with a few conventional b/c the wife forgot to ask for synthetic. It's got 165k on it, only engine issue was replacing the rockers and lifters at 155k. Now that it's not the normal family vehicle I'll start doing 0w-20 synthetic at home.

TommyDodge likes this.
  15. TommyDodge

TommyDodge Well-Known Member

Since the Jeep is the lady friend's she had the oil changed this past Saturday and the owner of the shop told her to wait at least 5,000 miles and said the same thing about throwing money away. She got the partial synthetic Valvoline 5w20 and she put 2,000 miles on it in 4 weeks. I reset oil change light, and will see how it goes. I told her to use only Mopar Filters as I do in the Dodge Ram. I only change the oil once a year in the Dodge Ram, since after 4 years of ownership (bought March 2016) I have put less than 9,000 miles on it, and after 23 years (made April 1997)it still has less than 93,000 miles on it. TommyDodge

16. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I use Pennzoil full synthetic 0W40 .. When we bought my 2014 Ram there was only two companies that made oil that met standards, but also I was told that it's this oil or warranty is voided. This oil is made from Natural gas and is the most expensive oil we have ever purchased at 20ish bucks a liter. We live in a very cold climate so I think that is why this oil is part of my warranty. In past posts about oil types I've seen others in warmer climates using conventional oil in the same power-train. We change the oil when the truck hits about 30-20%, about every 9000kms. We're only at 100,000 kms on the big bad Ram and the warranty has run out just this year, but will always use this oil on this truck.

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

No, I don't think so, since the 2016 calls for it (0W40). Dealer used M1 0W40 FS, which doesn't show the spec, but it does show an MB Spec 229.5 that I believe was legit for Hemis under DCX, and MB Approval 229.5 is a pretty stout oil - it's legit for car diesels pre-DPF, even an OM642 without a DPF (think newer Sprinters in a market without NAFTA/Euro 4+ emissions rules). I think besides MB 229.51/52, only a VW 504/507 oil would top it, and those are like GOLD based on prices. Lubrizol has a comparator chart that shows the relative protection levels, and the basic rule of thumb I gathered from perusing it is API<ACEA<BMW<MB<VW in general terms, and MS specs run somewhere just better than API or ACEA. IOW, if you find an oil that meets your MS spec AND MB or better yet, VW, it's probably a really good lube.

Some help with understanding lubrication specifications - note, you can't really use this strictly speaking to compare API to ACEA to corporate specs exactly, but if you understand the timeline of the specs you can see we are not going backward WRT protection. In order to do that, oil gets more expensive additives, but it also lasts longer. Relative Performance Tool - Lubrizol (at https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Relative-Performance-Tool )

#17 Tony K, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    TommyDodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  18. Shane Estabrooks

Ever cool.. thanks for that .. like learning things

TommyDodge likes this.
  19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

A lot depends on driving habits. If you are a moderate driver, low speeds, low acceleration, under light throttle and light load, your car is going to last longer, and your going to be able to easily go 10,000 miles between oil changes on full synthetic..

Now, if your like me, and you spend a lot time at high speed, under heavy load, with heavy acceleration, at full throttle, if you change your oil at 10,000, even with the best synthetic, your doing it wrong, and your car is going to break sooner. I have to have change my oil changed (company car) with full synthetic, highest quality, every 5k miles.

TommyDodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  20. Shane Estabrooks

Yup well said .. As a Miner an initial check is something we do on a daily bases. So keeping an eye on the state of the oil condition from driving conditions, is critical for the life of the machine. I have changed oil at 5000kms all the way up to 11,000kms with the full synthetic. With company vehicles we have PM system (preventive maintenance) due to these driving full out at all times.

TommyDodge likes this.