AF: What brand is your preference for motor oil? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What brand is your preference for motor oil?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by TommyDodge, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Average for Americans is I think 12,000 miles. We usually hit 10,000 in 10 or 11 months. On the Dart, I put on half as many miles and use the calendar for oil changes. I don't even know if there's an indicator in it. On the Valiant, I have to change the oil sometime this year, I think... I use a different calendar for that.

Most people change the oil more often than needed. Daniel Stern ran some wear experiments on his personal car around ten years ago and found that keeping the oil in longer, especially synthetic, made no difference. Having an engine run long miles with frequent changes is like putting a “bear scare” around your dog’s collar; your dog may never see a bear, but that doesn't mean the bear scare worked...

If the car is running all the time, you can actually keep the same oil longer, not for less time, according to an old CR report. In that case they compared oils among NYC taxis, and found all oils to be identical in wear. Their conclusion was that most wear occurs when the car is cold, and taxis never get cold. (Well, the interiors might, if the heaters don't get fixed, but...)

TommyDodge, Tony K, valiant67 and 2 others like this.
  2. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

One thing I'd love to know...what happened between Chrysler and Mobil that resulted in Mobil 1 not having the Chrysler MS 6395? I started using Mobil 1 in my '07 Jeep Hemi back in 2009 and was shocked when I found out that it was one of very few oils not on the approved list and even the Mobil Super Syn (a lesser product than Mobil 1 according to Mobil) is on the list. I have stuck with it because I got good results with it (did a Blackstone Labs analysis a few years back) but have wondered about this ever since!

Motor Oil: Certification: Chrysler MS-6395 | Jeep Off Road Adventures (at http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787 )

TommyDodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think at the time you not only had to meet the Material Standard, but there was a 2-year run to make sure that no problems developed during the test cycles. Engine wear takes time.
    Mobil's response:

Chrysler�s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler�s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

4. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Translated: since you are using Pennzoil as your factory fill it’s not worth the time to us?!
    I have wondered ever since then should I change to Penn plat syn. I’m using that in the ‘17 Wrangler

5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Mobil didn't want to run the MS tests to certify their Mobil 1 oil for Chrysler. I was still working there when that happened.

Does there "1" oil today meet MS specs?? Who knows! Maybe yes, maybe no!
    Short sighted to forego the entire aftermarket oil change industry!

But I DO know that the MS spec is VERY important to engine performance and longevity, otherwise, why have it?

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Bingo! Plus today's Mobil 1 is not a pure synthetic made from Group IV stock. Mobil 1 is derived from Group III stock and is more or less semi-synthetic. Redline and AMSoil are produced from Group IV stock. Originally Mobil 1 was made from Group IV stocks, but there was a lawsuit involving Castrol and ExxonMobil. Mobil sued Castrol for labeling their oil "synthetic" (Group III stock), but lost so to remain competitive Mobil 1 was "downgraded" to being made from Group III stock - previously it was Group IV stock. That's pretty much in layman's terms.

Having said all that, Mobil 1 is a very good "synthetic" for the price. AMSoil and Redline are far more expensive.

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

1999 Dodge 1500 Laramie with a 318, currently 325K+ miles, calls for 10W-30, which is the only viscosity I've used in it. I've been changing it every month, as these long trips from Texas to Michigan and back, plus the city driving, take up to 4,000 miles. Plus, it uses lots of oil, which a local here said is probably the intake. Intake plenum gasket, maybe? Anyway, I've lately been using the 5-quart jug of Meijer's store brand, buying it when they run a buy 1 full price, pay 50% off the second sale, which is not quite $21 + sales tax for both, or pennies above $2/quart. I also buy pints of the store brand at Dollar Tree for $1 (called Driver's Choice, it only comes in 10W-30) to add during the trips. Both have the API seal, and their current standard is SN, which is at least 2 upgrades from when this truck was new. Usually, I buy conventional, but this week, only the synthetic blend was marked down at Meijer's, so that's what I bought.

I've used Napa's store brand when I see it marked down, and that's what I currently have in the 2008 Impala (3.5 V6, calls for 5W30 synthetic only). I occasionally buy a synthetic blend for the truck from another local dollar store for $2.50/quart, packaged by Vantage, which also has the API seal; be careful there, as their other motor oil brands don't have the seal. There may have been others, but I don't remember exactly what.

TommyDodge likes this.
  8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Personally, I think the Group III (Hydrocracked synthetic) vs Group IV (PAO synthetic) is overblown. After having read more BITOG than I care to admit, I've decided it's largely irrelevant in most vehicles. I've had an AMSOIL membership. It's good stuff. Some of it is even cost competitive, but that's because even AMSOIL understands the value of Group III, which is essentially hyper-refined petroleum. Some even have legit mfr approvals. I can get oil for my Mercedes Diesel Grand Cherokee (MB Approval 229.51) or a diesel VW (504.00/507.00) under warranty.

#28 Tony K, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    TommyDodge, Dave Z and tomit like this.
  9. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

I thought I was going crazy...I guess not!! My oil minder last change came on at 8700 kms (5200 miles) which I thought was kind of high. At least now I know that others are up there too....Thanks Dave!!

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I always changed the oil in my Ram 1500 Hemi at 30% left - and that was at 7k miles. It should hit 10k changes if I wanted.

TommyDodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

The Dart has an oil life monitor my Sister in Law has a Manual 2.4 equipped Dart Rally and the dealer has told my brother in law they only need to get the oil changed when the reminder says so, or when it hits the months/miles/run time limit in the manual. I have to admit I put a lot of miles on since I got the Jeep. In part because I joined two jeep clubs and do off roading trips (both of which are heavily populated by people in the seattle area and thuse take place in that area or Southeastern WA the last outing of which was in the fall was a 440 mile round trip for an lunch meet and great not including the actual of road part of the meet and greet.(was super fun and well worth the all day trip) and I have had two long distance relationships now since I have owned it (one that was a twice a week 98 mile round trip) and now my current boyfriend in Richmond BC who until the boarder shut down I would make weekly visits and we would try to have a once a month visit with me taking a day or two off and bringing him down for a few days or a 118 mile round trip. so I put on quite a few miles a year now.

#31 Matthew, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    TommyDodge likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Changing your oil every month or 4,000 miles is just wasting your money. Highway miles are easy on a car. Every two months would cut your costs in half and there'd be no additional wear.

If you drive a lot in dusty conditions, that's another story, but we're really talking a lot and dusty. At that point you'd want some sort of extra air filter (oiled variety) too...

13. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

My Scat Pack calls for an oil change every 6 months regardless of mileage. Since I have a lifetime warranty on the engine as long as I follow the factory oil change schedule, I get it changed every six months. One six month period, I didn't even go 100 miles. That's a waste of money for 7 quarts of synthetic. Fortunately, dealer oil change prices are in line with what it would cost me to do it myself. The oil was changed in September 2018 at 4645 miles and in March 2019 at 4731 miles. About 40 of those miles were the round trip to the dealership.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I don't know about the high-performance engines, but within the last few years, the oil change interval (maximum time, assuming mileage based criteria for change did not happen) went from 6 months to 12 months.

TommyDodge likes this.
  15. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

How many of you when buying oil for your Mopar, buy Oil that says SRT on it. The 0W40 I get for the 6.4 Truck Hemi has it.

TommyDodge likes this.
  16. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

The first time I took it in for a 6-month oil change, the service writer insisted it didn't need to be changed. I explained that while I agreed with him, I had to follow the letter of the rules in the lifetime warranty. If the dealership was willing to put it in writing that the 6-month change was unnecessary to protect my warranty, I would be happy to not have it done. He thought about it for a second and decided to change the oil.

TommyDodge and DC-93 like this.
  17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I'm on my second 10 year inspection (last January) and this has never come up. I was in Germany longer than 9 months in 2018, with the car sitting in the garage here in Indy. My dealer service manager even said if I couldn't get it in for the inspection because of my situation, they'd write a note about it in the system.

TommyDodge and DC-93 like this.