AF: What happens to the vans interior? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens to the vans interior?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by voiceofstl, Aug 24, 2015.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

"The Ram ProMaster City is an Americanised version of the Fiat Doblò. The ProMaster City is built in the same plant in Turkey as the Doblò and imported to North America. To circumvent the chicken tax, only passenger vans are imported into North America,"
    I have read thise several times.
    Question: What makes it a passenger van? I assume it has back seats. What do they do with the parts that make it a passenger van? Throw them away?

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Rear passenger seats and windowed rear doors.

What do they do with the parts? Good question - I'm not sure.

3. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Scrapped out all used parts..

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Subaru Brat.

Thanks
    Randy

5. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Active Member

Similar to the Ford Transit Connect, if the vehicle is spec'ed out to be a cargo van, it is imported with seats in the back; and then once it is in port (in Ford's case Baltimore), the seats are stripped out, and recycled (that's a gentle term for thrown out, lol). It would cost too much for the seats to be shipped back to Europe. The Chicken tax makes no sense, but don't expect it to be dropped anytime soon, as it serves as a barrier to cheap Indian and Chinese pickups.

If you don't think Americans won't buy cheap Indian and Chinese p/u's, you would be mistaken. I think someone on this forum has a tagline, which is funny, but accurate: "There's plenty of cheap seats, but more than enough asses to fill them"
    o_O

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

On the PM floor i don't any indentions or holes that would indicate they ever had seats?

7. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Active Member

On the euro Ducato, their seating system is based upon a track system, that is bolted/bonded to the existing flooring. It is fully certified in Europe, based upon actual crash testing.
    http://www.handicare.com/media/150422/FlyerHandiFloorEN.pdf
    Another one of those great options that we don't get here, cause 'Merica....
    I haven't seen the PM City, which the original post is about, but you CAN get seats in those as an option.