Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the age of Daytona Owners?

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Bob ONeill, Sep 11, 2010.

?

If you own a Daytona, how old are you?

1. 15 - 20

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 21 - 25

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. 26 - 30

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. 31 - 35

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. 36 - 40

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. 41 - 45

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. 46 - 50

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. 50 - 55

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  9. 56 +

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

The idea here is to NOT ask someone how old they are but to get an idea of the age of those Daytona owners on this forum.

2. Undermine

Undermine Member

This will be interesting. I'm curious as well. Although I'm 26 now, I received my first 'tona when I was 20 and have since owned 5.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

And I've owned a total of 4, and have owned at least one Daytona continuously for the last 25 years, almost half my life.

4. Michael_Valentine

Michael_Valentine Active Member

Looks like most are in my age group, maybe because this was one of the cool cars we drooled over back in the 80's and could not afford yet. :)

5. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

i'm the only under 20 owner so far! And I'm already on my second :D

/pride

6. Chris_85DaytonaTurbo

Good to meet you sir! looks like we're in the same boat, age-wise. =D

7. msmart86_2000

msmart86_2000 Member

Got mine in March of '98. Dad paid for it, I worked and paid him back. I was 17, paid about $4,000 after taxes, and she had 57,000 miles on her. Still have the bill of sale from the dealership and everything. Odometer now shows 167,xxx wen it stopped working a few years ago, and its probably over 200,000 now.

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

It's funny, people older than me (49) are often unfamiliar with the 1980s-90s Daytona (the only Chrysler car to carry the name as the model vs trim level). They only recall the late 60s B-body Charger.

Those younger than me often only think of the Dodge truck from a few years ago.

Then there was the kid at the nearby gas-n-go who thought it was a Firebird. :facepalm:

9. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

sadly when people ask what it looks like i tell them it's similar to a firebird or mustang.

10. Michael_Valentine

Michael_Valentine Active Member

Firebird!!! Last Car Show I went to I had an older Lady that talked to me for about 10 minutes until I figured out she thought I had a 80's Mustang. She was completely unaware it was a Dodge until I figured out she was thinking Ford and I corrected her mistaken identity.

11. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

Lol, it's not heavy enough or bad enough on gas to be a ford :D

12. 73sixpack

73sixpack Active Member

We got our 93 in the fall of 92, it was going to be our last small (low setting) car as we would be too old to get in and out of it by the time we bought our next new car. Alas.. we still have it and we can still get in and out without help, but our main driver now is a '10 Challenger, much easier to get in and out of for us old farts. :p

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Main difference is no electrical fires.

14. msmart86_2000

msmart86_2000 Member

Strangely, I always though, and still think, that the second gen's look very much like a Porsche 944 in the front, and a 928 for the rear. I have had one person ask if it was a firebird. I pointed to the emblem on the hood. That alleviated any doubt.

15. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

When I'm asked if it's a this or that I tell them it's a Daytona. Most of the time they say 'It's a what?'

16. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

This was a gen 3 for me, aero headlights. And it has the ram's head decal on front.

That's my usual experience, too. Then they look puzzled when I tell them what year, because they're thinking 1969 muscle car. Or they look at my base model and say how cool the turbos are. Apparently the base model is completely under the radar.

Haven't driven the 84 Turbo Z enough to elicit comments. But it's always the newest car at any show I go to in the area. And the next newest car at the MassMopar meetings, a local club, is a 72 Charger. In fact, at an event at a state park last year, I found out later I was charged at the gate when all other members went through for free. The ranger didn't recognize that I was a member, even when I mentioned I was there for the meeting. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield.

17. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

and the computer isn't mounted to the block, which probably helps that

dang, you're right. (I don't know porsche very well, I'm better with domestics, if you can even call them that up here in Canada :p)

I've got the chrysler pentastar on the front of mine (canadian models are called chryslers). To be honest I think it looks a little nicer than the ram, and sounds a little more elegant, but that's just me.

To be honest, that's why I bought the car. I don't see many on the streets, and I have yet to find a honda that could even keep pace with the N/A.

18. Chris_85DaytonaTurbo

The best responses are the people who have no idea what you're talking about, but don't want you to explain it to you, so their eyes glaze over and they nod their heads a little bit. =)

19. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

yeah but at that point they don't care about cars to begin with :p

20. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

AAhaa im scoring 33.33% of votes!

At 47 - im happy to tell you young kids that i was totaly unknown to every kind of mecanical, tecnical or electrical car-issues when i was 40 years old.

When i baught my Daytona at 42 i started on a interresting school that has given me a good education.

Now i save aloooooot of money beeing able to repair my own cars.
    I quess prises on car-repair shops are huuuuuge as here in Norway.
    Now i can manage to take care of my economy, thanks to my car-knowlege.
    And i say again - thanks to the Daytona forum for sharing your knowlege. Every little detail is important and can solve big big problems on a car. Every answer and reply is therefor very important when a car has a problem.

I hope my own son or daughters take up my interesst some day.( The kid is 14 and shows no signs - huff.)