Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the age of Daytona Owners?

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Bob ONeill, Sep 11, 2010.

?

If you own a Daytona, how old are you?

1. 15 - 20

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 21 - 25

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. 26 - 30

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. 31 - 35

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. 36 - 40

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. 41 - 45

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. 46 - 50

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. 50 - 55

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  9. 56 +

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Great story Bob. You and I have had similar experiences. I allowed my daughter to drive my blue one to college but when it came time for her to do her clinicals we needed a more reliable car for her. Since then I've reconditioned the blue one and I use it as one of my daily drivers. If I could sell my Sebring then the blue Daytona would be my daily driver.

Isn't it great when we're asked 'What kind of car is that?' or.... 'I haven't seen one of those in years and never in as good condition'.

2. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

That's one thing I miss about my N/A daytona, over 300,000 kms and you couldn't even tell.

3. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

Yes, it is great. It is also great that there are other people on this board that appriciate the 85-92 Dodge Daytonas.

Most people I know do not know I have this car as it has just sat in the garage under a cover for years. Now I am starting to take it out for a ride on the weekends. My sons are quite impressed by the car. My younger one did not really know what was under that car cover in the garage. Now he knows and every time I ask him if he wants to go for a ride he always says yes. My older son is constantly asking if he could have the car. All 3 of us are looking forward to the NJ Allpar show this Sunday.

4. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

So you sorted out the problem with the car? This is great. I hope that for next year's Carlisle 'we' can together (you, me and some of our other Daytona owners here) can try to put together a monster Daytona turnout. I hope to bring the black Turbo Z again this year but I'm not sure I want to put it in the invitational building like last year. But we'll see.

5. blake_mcguire

blake_mcguire Member

carlisle might just end up being my vacation next year :p (because its so far from where i live; british columbia)

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

Currently I'm 35, and I've owned the same 86 Daytona C/S for 20 years now.

7. racing for stars

cool little post well as with some of us im 47 and when the Daytonas first came out that was the stuff i wanted one but could never afford one. 2 years ago i got one for free and built my first Daytona race car this year I built 2 more one for my daughter and one for my former girlfriend which i sold to another youngster. my daughters car unfortunatly didnt make it but i have a ton of parts for mine next year since most were new. I just bought my first turbo car to drive today needs some work but well try to get her on the road in the next couple weeks.

other cars ive owned 77 Aspen R/T totalled in a highway wreck
    80 Dogde Mirada needed motor after 2 years of driving my cousin put in a 440 while i was away for 8 weeks with the military traded it for a 86 4 dr horizon the mirada drag raced for 3 years
    81 Chrysler Cordoba LS ( canada only car ) with a super six died after coming home from course in Ontario but it got me home to Alberta
    1977 Dodge ( so I thought ) utility truck turns out it was a WARLOCK ex wife let the county tow it away from her dads house it was on county property
    1991 dodge club cab
    1979 2 dr horizon im sure it was at least a 79
    1956 Dodge Royal push button trans w a 313 motor and a foot pump for the wipers
    My very first Dodge, I bought on a credit card was a 1969 coronet 200 bucks one of the best cars i ever had
    The most heart breaking non purchase i had 1967 Dodge Charger was told not to buy it due to the fact that the tail lights were one piece accross the back of the car could have had that one for 800 where was year one?? now i can get that tail light lol. apparently 1967 was the only year they had those tail lights

8. edv

edv Member

Well, I bought my Daytona off the lot in May of 1984....and I was in my mid 20's back then, so you figure it out (hint...the old-fogey meter is in the red!)

9. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

Watch it. I was 35 when I bought my '86 back in the fall of '85. :)

10. henriksen

henriksen Member

Although I don't own a Daytona, rather a Laser, I have been around them since the beginning. I've been a MOPAR line mechanic since '59 and have owned a number of Chrysler products.
    From that statement, you can probably figure out, hopefully you don't need your calculator, that I not only have cars belonging in the 200,000 mile club but I'm there myself.
    Small hint, I was born the year Adolph invaded Scandinavia. Oh-Oh, you don't know where that is or who this guy Adolph is? Well, you'll have to look that one up.

11. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Active Member

I dont 'own' a daytona but Ive always liked them, and someday I want to score an '84-'86 turbo model. I saw the comments on how to describe the looks of the car, and I always say its kind of like an '80s camaro or mustang but somehow better looking that either one! I was a kid in the 80s so the last year for the daytona was '93 I believe, I was one year out of high school. Even though Im more of a Hemi/RWD muscle car kind of dude, I do wish Dodge had a comparable car right now!

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

They do. It's called the Dart. And I expect it to be the eventual replacement for my Daytona.

13. msmart86_2000

msmart86_2000 Member

+1

14. Ratte

Ratte New Member

I bought my Daytona 1992 in my age of 26, from a Swiss scrapyard as wreck with a massive hit in the front. It was a low miler from 1989, driven only one year and I wanted to use it only fore spare parts for my LeBaron. But then I sold that LeBaron soon and the Daytona was still there. Then I decided to repair it and build it up with a new front from the later model. Since that time I drive my car continuous every year in exchange with another LeBaron I bought later. Here in Europe this car is completely unknown, only one time I meet a guy on a scrapyard in Switzerland which saw my little Frankenstein car and meant that it is not stock, but he couldn't tell me what was changed, LOL

15. xjken

xjken New Member

Time to breath a little life into this thread. I am about to turn 61, don't know if I'm the oldest Daytona owner here but here is my history with my Daytona. I purchased my red '86 Turbo Z new in August of 1986 with the intent of using it as a daily driver. I would not drive the car or let my wife drive the car in the rain, this went on for a couple of weeks before she told me to put it in a garage and just use it for shows, cruises and nice day drives. It's hard to believe that was almost 28 years ago but, thanks to her we now have an original survivor car with just over 8,000 miles. Took it to a lot of shows in the 90's and early 00's and probably have over 200 awards over the years. These days I take it to one or two shows a year and drive it a couple hundred miles a season. Prefer stopping by cruise-in for a hour or so to spending all day at shows but, where ever I take the car it gets a lot of compliments and looks. The number one thing going for these cars is the fact that they never sold in huge numbers so when people see one in good condition it gets their attention.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  16. djd's turbo

djd's turbo Active Member

I might as well chime in here. I bought my 84 Daytona Turbo in Sept., 1983. It has to be one of the first ones built. I still have it but it hasn't run in years. It has about 179K miles on it. I hope to restore it someday. I am 55 now so I was 24 when I bought it. I live in Fla but I was in the Atlanta area visiting my siblings. I was driving to my sister's house and while stopped at a light I got rear-ended in my 81 Plymouth Reliant. Needless to say my K-Car was totaled. I took the insurance check to the Chrysler dealer in Athens, Ga where my brother worked and bought my 'Old Girl'. The next day I brought it home to Fla because I had to go back to work. It will be a very happy day when I get to drive it again!!!! As a side note: I routinely got about 40 mpg in my Reliant. Now the speed limit then was 55 then so I was probably driving 60-65. It had a 4 sp. manual transmission. Seems like we should have come further by now!
    I also have an 87 Shelby Z that I bought from a friend. Someone put a tbi engine in it. It's in pretty bad shape. I don't know if I'll ever do anything with it. I'm also thinking about picking up a couple of Daytonas that are available locally. I've got to do some more investigating first.