AF: What kind of van do WE want? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of van do WE want?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by voiceofstl, Mar 2, 2015.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

This post might be in the mini van forum but I'll put it here....
    There 2 basic uses for vans 1. people mover 2. cargo mover.
    I say we need a 3rd one.
    Back in the 80' and 90's most of the people that I knew and saw had factory window vans from the big 3. They were the basic passenger window vans with power window locks and sometimes rear air.
    The point is we used these vans for cargo for the home owner be it for a hobbyests or to move lawn mowers around to pick up stuff at the store and the hardware store to build that new deck.
    But when it came time to take that week end trip or a vacation the back seats went back in and off we went.
    The Grand Caravan is a tad to little and they look so nice you feel guilty puting a load of 2x4 and bags of mulch in them.
    My idea for the family man is the short wheel base promaster with a basic passenger package which includes rear windows along the entire side and on both sides..just like the chevy express still offers.

comments............

floridaman2013 likes this.
  2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Well...................I just checked and the basic Pro-master window van starts at $33,000 and I think that it might be too pricey for what you are talking about???

3. voiceofstl

Yes it is. I'm not sure how they can sell the Grand caravan so cheap but the cheapest promaster is $29,000.
    A van should hold at least a box 4ft tall 4ft wide and 8ft long with the back door closed.

4. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Chevy Express or Ford Econline. I loved my B series Dodge vans, but, alas, no more. Had owned some Chevy G-series1/2 and 1 tons, great vehicles also. Sometimes one has buy what is available on the market to meet your specific needs; brands are immaterial at this point.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The ProMaster would be ideal if you could put seats in it. It would beat the heck out of Express and Econoline, seriously. They are terrific vans in every way but having pre-installed seats.

keithwwalker likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

You could easly go to the junk yard and use van seats from older vans and fix up the interior but we shouldn't have to do that.

keithwwalker likes this.
  7. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

And then they get in the way to hold your 4x4x8 box.

Let's build a unit with S'N'G seats as short in height as possible that can slide into the Promaster.

8. voiceofstl

Yes ..if you look at the frame of the Promaster it looks like it is made for stow&go seats.

9. rkmdogs

rkmdogs Member

Full size vans were and still are used by active people, who do things, like showing dogs or horses, as well as carrying "stuff"!
    They need to be flexible in use and adaptable, like the Stow n Go feature of the Town&Country or Caravans. AND -- the need to be able to
    tow a decent sized trailer, either an animal one, or an RV.
    Most vans today are too rigid in what tasks they can perform, usually only a single specific one!
    Oh yeah, add boating to the tow tasks required!

10. voiceofstl

Yes. And the Promaster could do all this much better then the Chevy Express, all it needs are the stow&GO seats.

11. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Active Member

FIAT has exactly what you want, we just have to convince RAM to get off their butts to sell a ProMaster with full options in the USA. RAM is giving away marketshare to Ford and Mercedes by not offering these options (yeah I know RAM would claim 'upfitters' would do a conversion for you but they ALL look like bad interiors from the 90's for $20k more - no thanks)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11 keithwwalker, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  12. keithwwalker

I apologize for the cussing! I am impatient wondering if RAM will update the PM front end and offer more options. To paraphrase - build it and I will buy!

13. Stratuscaster

My thought is that FCA US is watching the sales of the new Ford Transit and Transit Connect very closely.

14. burtstwins

burtstwins Well-Known Member

Or even a hybrid type, with seats for 5 and the rear still a construction/industrial type interior.
    Still allows you to carry family/workers, but throw tools, saddle & tack, camping gear , etc...
    in the back, and away from the comforts of the front.

Unfortunately, the only manufacturer at this point to offer this is Sprinter,
    from the dealership. Totally disgusting.

15. Stratuscaster

If I recall, Promaster City is 5 passengers with a decent cargo area behind.

16. voiceofstl

yes but you can get a caravan that holds more and is cheaper. WE need a large van like the Promaster with a backseat.

17. Stratuscaster

Right now you can. That won't likely be true shortly.

A full-size Promaster van might just be a bit too big as a family passenger vehicle. Maybe.

As a recreational vehicle, sure.

18. voiceofstl

Your right no one buys a full size van for a commuter car. But we all know alot of guys with full size pickups as their primiary car. My idea is a very basic pass. version on the short and med wheel base. Like the vans the big 3 offered in the 70's,80's,90's. Like i said earlier its for the hobbiest the "do it yourselfer" and to move your lawn equipment to cut your mother inlaw grass and all kinds of stuff. Then when its time for that weekend or vacation trip in go the seats and off we go.

19. keithwwalker

Go to any ski resort or national park on the west coast and you will see pimped out Sprinter adventure vans all over the place. Also rich soccer moms are now seen driving these passenger vans just for around town use. Ram, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to have a clue, and is missing out on these nascent markets.

Personally, I want a PM that can hold two motorcycles in the rear, plus a fold down bench seat for minimal sleeping, and be able to stand up. If they get the new headlights on the PM in 2016, I will buy. I would love to see interior (rear heat/ac, insulation, finished interior) and seating options.

20. Stratuscaster

In regards to Promaster, I think what some of you are asking for is in the realm of aftermarket/upfitter and not FCA directly.